The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Conman,

I hope you enjoy the Joe Pass. I have both the JP and the 371. The 371 is a recent acquisition for me. I like both although they sound and feel very different. I know people rave about the 371 and usually say it compares to much more expensive guitars but I tend to disagree. I find my JP, 371, Aria FA and Samick JZ all of equal quality. They are all highly playable and similar in price. What I have played and not liked are any of the Ibanez or Godin lower end offerings within that same price range.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickshapiro
    Conman,

I hope you enjoy the Joe Pass. I have both the JP and the 371. The 371 is a recent acquisition for me. I like both although they sound and feel very different. I know people rave about the 371 and usually say it compares to much more expensive guitars but I tend to disagree. I find my JP, 371, Aria FA and Samick JZ all of equal quality. They are all highly playable and similar in price. What I have played and not liked are any of the Ibanez or Godin lower end offerings within that same price range.
    Thanks I am sure I will so far I love it

User Info Menu

funny I played (probably the same eastman) at different strummer 6 months ago and loved it. Didn't want to love an asian guitar but it really played great. That said I went on ebay and picked one up for 450 and have to say it is wonderful. The 1 3/4 inch nut sealed the deal for me.

User Info Menu

Go figure...goes to show you just never know...maybe somebody dropped it after you left or more likely different folks dig different things...

I remember you man, I almost bought that Jazzica from you a few years ago...I see you have a verythin for sale now...sweet deal. If somebody needs someone to vouch for you on those sales, let me know--I know you're an actual person, and I played that HR Fusion and it was sweeeet...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    My advice would really be to save up another $400 a d get a Godin Composer or a Peerless JazzCity.
    Partially influenced by the wisdom here, I ordered a Composer from mf.com with a coupon I had. I'll report back with some feedback once I've had my hands on it. Thankfully, I have 45 days to decide if I love it or not.

Good times!

User Info Menu

Since it was partially my advice, I hope it works out for ya...heck, I hope it works out for ya anyway.

User Info Menu

I always enjoy your posts -- and candidly, I think we all can't go "that wrong" so long as we stick to making sure we want a 175 vs 335 style. So many of the decent makers out there at all price levels offer a heck of a lot of guitar for the buck. Epiphone, Eastman, Ibanez, Godin, Heritage etc...

Not only that but musiciansfriend's offering of a 45 day return policy is nuts. I normally try to order / buy a few guitars -- try 'em out for a bit and keep the best of them. With shipping costs being reasonable, it's a lot more economic way to pick a winner in the long run than some 35 minute rushed attempt to do the same at Guitar Center.

So... if nothing else, we'll get another opinion out of the whole thing.

... and we always need more of those!

User Info Menu

This isn't worthy of a thread by itself -- more of a follow up to the msg above.

The Godin showed up -- I was nervous about the gloss top and semi gloss sides looking silly, but it was a nice well put together and appointed instrument. It had a loud acoustical sound -- in fact, it sounded very similar to a smaller bodied Blueridge acoustic guitar that I had laying around. I found that the action was VERY high relative to my tastes and I was surprised that it came with roundwounds (vs flatwounds) but what the heck do I know.

I found that at bedroom volumes, I was hearing more of the guitar versus the amp -- I was also hearing my fingers squeaking along the strings, which made me a bit nutty.

Overall, I think this is a fine instrument for those interested. I'm not sure if this is the best choice vs the single or dual P90 version. I will be sending it back (no harm no foul) and if I were to go forward with a NEW top tier budget 5th Ave, I think the best value/execution has got to be at the lower end than middle.

All my humblest opinion...

User Info Menu

I've had both and I prefer the Eastman so much that I have two of them .. they each play differently, but are fundamentally the same. I have the same string gauge on both. One looks brand new and the other has cracks in the finish all over.. I have to say, I love playing that one the most.. But I love them both.. Nice woody sound and that thunk thing going on .. I play these with my thumb and love the sound.
    I've never had an issue with either. I highly recommend this one.