The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

I remember back in the day being told guitara "age" via musical vibration and the common suggestion was to place acoustic guitar on stand in front of or close to your stereo speaker so when playing music the guitar would get the musical vibration. I did that for years my acoustic was in front of my subwoofer and I could hear the sympathetic vibrations of the guitar. To it seem to work and many people would rent or borrow my acoustic for sessions because it recorded so well.

So to me don't need no special device just keep your acoustics near your stereo speakers, don't cost nothing to try.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

^^^Hm, I wonder if placing a capo on the first fret, leaving it for a while and moving it up gradually would also help out. You know, so all the notes get a chance to ring.

Quote Originally Posted by kenbennett
    Sorry for the mistake. I wouldn't try to analyze the spectrum. Their engineers probably did it right.

I’m not so sure the engineers did anything but make a motor that vibrates at 60 cycles per second. I held the ToneRite at full power next to the mic on my Turbo Tuner and got a reading of B1. The frequency of B1 is 61.7 Hz.

At maximum intensity the device seems to be shaking the guitar at 60 Hz. I can’t measure the lower intensitites because the Turbo Tuner can't hear them.
    Last edited by Dpardoe; 08-09-2013 at 08:40 PM.

User Info Menu

I see. Well, it seems to be working. There's a thread on the Collings forum where 122 members rated a Tonrite on their own guitar. 77% reported moderate or dramatic improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by kenbennett
    Damping of the wood is one thing. That's plain ole stiffness.
    Regarding the entire concept of "playing in" and any device that claims to assist in this process - the issue would not be stiffness per se, but hysteresis in the wood.

The presumption is that vibrations can reduce hysteresis and thus damping. This can have nothing at all to do with stiffness.

The sometimes-mentioned principle that one must play certain frequencies to have certain effects seems to me to be completely unsubstantiated, yet seemingly satisfying to many.

User Info Menu

Leaving your guitar on the stand in front of a stereo system playing music has a similar effect. I do, however, think that the reason the 6th string made less progress was because of the use of the green pick.

User Info Menu

Will this work on a laminate guitar?
    What happens if I leave it on for too long, will I lose my tone?
    Also, how many treatments will my guitar need to take it into vintage aged territory?
    I want to believe.