Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I have 1949 Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent and really am looking for the jazz sound. I am not sure which Polytone to purchase. I live in New Jersey and do not feel like driving to The music Zoo in Long Island. Does any know what the edge sound on the V sounds like and is it better to have the extra options that the IV does not have ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jolsin View Post
    I have 1949 Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent and really am looking for the jazz sound. I am not sure which Polytone to purchase. I live in New Jersey and do not feel like driving to The music Zoo in Long Island. Does any know what the edge sound on the V sounds like and is it better to have the extra options that the IV does not have ?
    I used to have a Polytone MB V, pretty decent amp, a little bigger & heavier than the MB II. I never really used the "edge" control, didn't like it, to me it just made everything sound thin, I wasn't sure what the point of that control was. I did however like the high frequency driver in the MB V (you can turn it on/off), I don't know if the MB IV has that or not. It would add a little more sparkle to your tone.

BTW, I don't know what your budget is, but my current amp is an Evans RE200 with the tube pre-amp. Not cheap, but a great sounding amp in a small, light (24 lbs) package. I think the Evans sounds a lot warmer than any of the Polytones I've had (I've had 2 MB IIs and 1 MB V over the years). This is my 3rd Evans I've had, and by far is the best.

Cheers...

User Info Menu

There are some other amps out there these days that you can check out such as Acoustic Image with A Raezors Edge speaker or a Hennrikson. Also the AER is a decent amp. They can all be test driven in NJ. Look up Golden Age is Westwood and Guitar and Jazz in Summit.

User Info Menu

I have been using a Polytone mini-brute IV (15" spkr) since 1978. It is very reliable and has IMHO the best clean jazz sound I have ever heard. I have never used the distortion or reverb settings on it and I am certain there are newer amps that would equal or better the sound from my Poly. The best approach (IMHO) is to take your guitar to a store which allows you to try out some of the newer amps. You should never settle for anything less than the sound you like best.

wiz
    Howie

User Info Menu

ou're not going to believe it but I just started using a small solid state Kustom amp. For small venues, it has a fantastic sound and I've been able to get one for $130 clams. I'm pumping a DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1100 through it on a 39 D'A Excel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    ou're not going to believe it but I just started using a small solid state Kustom amp. For small venues, it has a fantastic sound and I've been able to get one for $130 clams...
    Me too. I'm using a Kustom Tube 12A that I paid $99 for.
    Through its own 8" Celestion speaker it's fine, and for a bit less boxy sound (at slightly higher volumes) I use an old 12" cab I have around.
    The Kustom Tube 12A is a tiny little thing with about 12 watts. It sounds very "tweedy," in an old Champ way, but louder.

I have had Polytone IV with the 15" speaker and really like that model for jazz, or even telecaster Country sounds!

Also check out Tech 21 Trademark 60's. They can sound like Polytones, or anything else.

User Info Menu

I'm getting ready to buy a Tele or something equivalent as a backup guitar for jazz gigs. I'm hoping I won't need anything other than my minibrute IV.

wiz
    Howie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739 View Post
    I'm getting ready to buy a Tele or something equivalent as a backup guitar for jazz gigs. I'm hoping I won't need anything other than my minibrute IV.

wiz

I don't see why you would need anything else. They're both good sounding and the MiniBrute IV has plenty of power for any needs I can think of.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backline View Post
    Me too. I'm using a Kustom Tube 12A that I paid $99 for.
    Through its own 8" Celestion speaker it's fine, and for a bit less boxy sound (at slightly higher volumes) I use an old 12" cab I have around.
    The Kustom Tube 12A is a tiny little thing with about 12 watts. It sounds very "tweedy," in an old Champ way, but louder.

I have had Polytone IV with the 15" speaker and really like that model for jazz, or even telecaster Country sounds!

Also check out Tech 21 Trademark 60's. They can sound like Polytones, or anything else.
    The Kustom I have has a 12 " speaker which is pretty good for that price. I originally tried the bass amp but it just didn't have a clear enough sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    The Kustom I have has a 12 " speaker which is pretty good for that price. I originally tried the bass amp but it just didn't have a clear enough sound.
    Yeah there's a gazillion Kustom models out there. I've probably seen one like yours.

I guess they're designing 'em all in Chanute Kansas, then having them made to spec.

I used a $68 Behringer Bass amp for a while, but like the newer Kustom guitar amps better.