The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 62

User Info Menu

The A-150 and nearly every import in this price range is finished with polyurethane. Regardless of what is on the inside poly guitars don't breathe and aren't going to age to a mellow, woody sound. I have played the A-150, and I can't say what was inside, but the one I played was very well constructed, played easily, and sounded very good. If one is looking for a guitar that will age in such a way spend a little extra money and get a guitar finished with lacquer. Just my opinion, of course.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snoskier63
    The A-150 and nearly every import in this price range is finished with polyurethane. Regardless of what is on the inside poly guitars don't breathe and aren't going to age to a mellow, woody sound. I have played the A-150, and I can't say what was inside, but the one I played was very well constructed, played easily, and sounded very good. If one is looking for a guitar that will age in such a way spend a little extra money and get a guitar finished with lacquer. Just my opinion, of course.
    It depends how the poly is applied, so I think your judgment is a little too black and white. I've played some lovely poly guitars that sounded just as open as a Nitro. We're also getting downy to the sharp end of the wedge when we're talking about finishes and tone.

I respect the Eriks playing, its real tasteful. I have no reason to question his judgement. Although would be nice to hear your Epi Erik, to see what you happy with tone wise. If you can drag a much better tone out of one of those, I'd be impressed.

I too played the 150 two days ago through probably the best amp on the market and it was disappointing. This coming from a huge Guild fan and owner. Putting a Humbucker in it, would sound much nicer imo
    Last edited by Archie; 11-27-2014 at 06:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Maybe you are right about the poly lacquer and the woody sound, but my 1997 Epiphone Emperor Regent (also poly lacquer) sounds a lot better, warmer and also loud. It is all laminated, so that's a difference. However you look at it, lacquer on the inside of a jazz guitar, is not a good idea (IMO). You're right about the rest: it is well made, right woods, plays comfortable, etc. I mentioned that in the clip.

User Info Menu

Ha, ha, thanks! No, I just want to be honest about it, not make it look bad. I tweaked the mic + amp EQ a lot to get this sound, you can do that too. But it's not fun to play that way and in a live performance I could never get this sound.

User Info Menu

I didn't know that. The lacquer was all over the inside, so no sloppiness I think. Whatever the reason, it doesn't do good to the sound (IMO) and can't be removed. My guess is that they try to make it louder to set their guitars apart from the competition. But maybe they have
    To be completely fair to Guild: The guitar I bought and that you hear in the video, was built in 2013 (you can see it in the video). I bought it mid november 2014. That means the guitar had never been played and been in the case from the factory for about a year. I had other new archtops and I know you have to play them a few hours every day for several weeks, before the potential sound comes out. The guitar top has to start moving, I guess. Then the guitar opens up ánd you start to play with the sound of that particular instrument. "You get used to each other."

If you consider to buy this guitar, let me say two more things about the Guild a-150:
    - It has two characteristics of a FENDER neck: nut=42 cm wide, 9.45" radius fretboard, but the 24.75 scale length (Gibson style).
    If you use it next to a tele or strat, it will be very comfortably, I think
    - The guitar is constructed very well, with the right woods on the right places, it looks like a million bucks and it plays very smooth an fast. It is a good guitar in itself.

The reason I didn't keep it, was that I use Gibson style guitars all the time and was looking for a archtop guitar with a warm and nice acoustic sound next to a transparent single coil sound. That is not what the Guild a-150 is (IMO)
    I know you can't expect so much from a guitar in this price range, but it was worth a try.

Try before you buy!

User Info Menu

For anyone interested about this thread, Guild Guitars has responded to EriktK's claim that the A-150 Savoy is "Laquered on the inside". It's nice to see a manufacturer address an issue publicly. Here is their response that can be found on YouTube:

Hi Erik,
    We'd like to clarify that the inside of the A-150 Savoy is NOT lacquered. It's difficult to tell from the photo, but all we can assume is that some finish made its way inside the f-hole on your particular guitar. This does not mean the entire inside of the guitar is lacquered, just that a simple error was made and crept by us. This is not something we have seen on any other Savoys. We would greatly appreciate it if you would update the description on your video and your post on the Jazz Guitar forum. It seems you no longer own this guitar, but if you have any questions about it, please contact us! Thanks for your understanding.
    -Guild Guitars

User Info Menu

Oddly enough his video got me really interested in this guitar, I really loved the sound and the construction and look as well. Don't worry Guild, sometimes peoples intentions have different results...

User Info Menu

Arnesto, I'm a big Guild fan and either the X150 or the Capri would be great subs, although I'd lean toward the A150 for jazz. I think the CE100 is aimed more at Rockabilly players. The 'DeArmond' floater on the A150 does not sound like the original DeArmonds to my ear, but it sounds quite good. The one I played was a little heavy on the poly finish, but it played well and sounded fine. Another even less expensive but cool option is the new Guild T50. I haven't played one of these yet but I'd love to get my hands on one... I love a thinline.

I have an older 2nd hand California made Guild X150 that is my main sub guitar for gigs where I may not want to take something more valuable but still need a dependable, good sounding professional level instrument, so keep your eye out for good used instruments as well.

Good luck!
    - Joe
    Last edited by AlohaJoe; 03-04-2015 at 04:34 AM.

User Info Menu

I played one recently that belongs to a friend and I can confirm there is definitely no lacquer inside, the build quality and finish is excellent and the Dearmond reissue sounds great through my amp, having owned one originally back in 60/61 I am seriously considering getting the reissue.

User Info Menu

Hi folks, finally I bought a beautifull Savoy from Rudys its a great guitar for the money, it has a big archtop sound and the dearmond its a nice Pickup, I m a happy camper
    Cheers!
    Guild A-150 Savoy - Has any one had a chance to try one yet?-dsc_0107-jpg
    Last edited by Arnesto; 04-22-2015 at 11:34 PM.

User Info Menu

That's a beautiful guitar, Arnesto.

User Info Menu

I bought a Guild A150 Savoy from Sam Ash on 34th St. about a year ago, looking to replace the single-pickup '64 Starfire I foolishly sold when I thought I was going to be playing acoustics for the rest of my life. The Savoy is a beautiful guitar, best I've ever owned, responds so nicely, sounds great. I play mostly balues and the heavy flatwounds aren't at all good for bending, but I like the sound and feel of the guitar as it is so much I've been compensating by sliding. One of these times, I'm going to put on some lighter roundwounds, maybe even Slinkys.

There's such a difference in my playing since I had the Starfire, I can't really compare the guitars.

User Info Menu

​​I ought to add that I usually play the guitar acoustically, and sometimes the pickup and/or the pickguard rattles, but I can tap it, prod it and the rattling stops. When plugged in, the rattling sound isn't amplified, so I'd say the pickup isn't picking it up.

User Info Menu

just for info sake, guild was sold by fmic to cordoba around the time of that laquer in the f hole issue…so it may have very well been an fmic made version anyway…cordoba seems intent on keeping the guild electric lines going and for that i applaud them..guilds were always underrated players

congrats on the savoy.. on my wish list as well

cheers

User Info Menu

https://shop.guildguitars.com/produc...0-pickup-gold/

Guild sells the reissue DeArmond 1000 and 1100 pickups on their website directly for $119 and $129, respectively. I just received a model 1100 that I plan to put on my D'Angelico EXL-1. I was considering the Guild A150 but decided on the D'Angelico and wound up also getting a Style B, EX-59 with P-90's and EX-DH with humbuckers because I was impressed with the EXL-1's high quality of workmanship and playability. I've read a post here where someone who had an original DeArmond 1100 said the reissue looked and sounded very close or the same as the originals. I asked someone on Facebook who has a Guild A150 how he liked it and he said the tone of the pickup was good, he liked the guitar and wanted to get one of the reissue Rhythm Chief 1100s for another guitar. These days Korean quality is getting better and guitars at this price point are probably similar in quality.

User Info Menu

The original A150 Savoy never was intended to be a 175, it was a late 50s orchestra guitar that has now been fitted with a pickup, the 175 competitor was an X175D Manhatten, I bought one with P90s in 1961 in preferenc to an ES175.

User Info Menu

Actually, the 175 competitor was the CE-100 and CE-100D. The X-175 is a 17" full depth archtop that is identical in dimensions to the X-500, only with less bling. Both the CE-100 and X-175/500 are excellent guitars at very reasonable prices.

User Info Menu

its the pickup..the dearmond 1000 style pup is single coil..wound with thin wire to a very high k...ie, Alnico 5 magnet, 15.40K resistance...classic dearmond

175's are (for the most part) humbucker or p90...either way...completely different pups

cheers

Traded into my Savoy 2 months ago. At first I wasn't sure about those big frets, but the quality of the fretwork gave the chance for them to grow on me. P.U. is strong, surprisingly bright,& but when you roll off the volume tone mellows nicely. When you turn it up people notice! Jazz, blues, rockabilly--the thing is a player, & will give back what you put into it. Mine must have been fender era--came with light gauge fender flats. Put Pyramid mediums on and they ring loud and clear! I would say, try one.

User Info Menu

I've had mine for almost a year now. I enjoy playing it so much that I upgraded to the 1100 pup and gold hardware.
    I think the 1100 has a nicer tone for my ears, plus the adjustable pole pieces help tweak that "b" string.
    Also, the guitar is very resonant! It has a great acoustic voice belying it's construction. I think it's a worthy instrument for any player interested in archtop jazz guitars. Plus, you can gig with it and not have to worry...too much!
    Anyway, it's an awesome looking, playing, and unique sounding guitar. There's nothing I own that's similar!
    Mine is a definite keeper!
    BTW the color in this photo is way too red! The 'burst is really nice and the gold hdwr looks sweeter. Kinda like a less/poor man's Artist Award! Maybe a "Runner's Up Award"?
    Guild A-150 Savoy - Has any one had a chance to try one yet?
    Last edited by gspirro1; 03-03-2016 at 09:10 PM.

User Info Menu

It's been over a year since the purchase of the Savoy. I am interested in getting one and am wondering what everyone thinks of it at this time. Arnesto I look forward to hearing what you have to say after having it a year that is if you still have it..

I have a 93 or 94 Epiphone Emperor Regent with a Kent Armstrong floater in blonde and I really like it and I also have an Epiphone Sheraton ll in black with Gibson 57 Classics. I'm thinking the Savoy 150 in Sunburst or the Epiphone ES 175 Premium, maybe even the Broadway.

Thanks in advance, Ron

User Info Menu

Hi Ron, the guitar is great, the frets are a little huge for my tastes but its different than my other guitars. The pickup its a little weak in the treble side but I manage to solve it putting some foam beside the pickup.
    Now Im looking to try different strings because I dont like the roundwonds in the guitar.

User Info Menu

You could replace the reissue 1000 pickup with a reissue 1100 they have adjustable pole pieces and the swap is very easy, the fixing bracket is the same and the soldering is simple, you would find an improvement in tone and string balance. I like the pickup slightly away from the neck but thats just me.
    Guild A-150 Savoy - Has any one had a chance to try one yet?-savoy-1100-jpg
    Last edited by Para; 05-26-2016 at 06:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Hello Forum: I purchased a Guild Savoy A150, blonde, in 2013 and it's been an uneasy relationship ever since. I had searched for a jazzbox costing about $1,000 USD and decided on the Savoy. Right out of the box I hated it because it was painful on my fingers to play.

Consequently I spent about $300 with luthiers to get the situation corrected. The essential problem was that the action was way too high. We filed down the jumbo frets .045 inches, deepened the nut slots and lowered the bridge. The action is now as low as it can go. Oh yes, I also put on Thomastik Jazz Bebop 12's, this after trying flatwounds which just didn't give the right sound. The Bebops are much better for this guitar. Great strings, by-the-way.

My Savoy now plays much, much better. But still, it lacks the supple feel from a guitar that I really want. I feel like I am always struggling with the strings; they want to play me rather than vice versa, if you know what I mean. I mean, the Savoy and I can get the job done, but it's not fun the way it should be.

Thoughts, especially from Guild, are appreciated. Cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDee
    Hello Forum: I purchased a Guild Savoy A150, blonde, in 2013 and it's been an uneasy relationship ever since. I had searched for a jazzbox costing about $1,000 USD and decided on the Savoy. Right out of the box I hated it because it was painful on my fingers to play.

Consequently I spent about $300 with luthiers to get the situation corrected. The essential problem was that the action was way too high. We filed down the jumbo frets .045 inches, deepened the nut slots and lowered the bridge. The action is now as low as it can go. Oh yes, I also put on Thomastik Jazz Bebop 12's, this after trying flatwounds which just didn't give the right sound. The Bebops are much better for this guitar. Great strings, by-the-way.

My Savoy now plays much, much better. But still, it lacks the supple feel from a guitar that I really want. I feel like I am always struggling with the strings; they want to play me rather than vice versa, if you know what I mean. I mean, the Savoy and I can get the job done, but it's not fun the way it should be.

Thoughts, especially from Guild, are appreciated. Cheers!
    I thought the first thing you do to lower the action is to adjust the trussrod. I take it you didnt mention it because it's too obvious you've done it.

2013 Guilds have my absolute favourite necks, 1 5/8 nut and 9.5 radius. Just like the vintage Guilds. But most folks dont like it because its not wide enough for their fingers or something. So maybe thats the issue you experiencing too?

As far as overall feel of those guitars... Yea, it's basically a student level instrument, not the real deal Guilds of the past. But still for the money... you know.