The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 62 of 62

User Info Menu

I have one. I would say that it is more intermediate level. Korean build quality (flawless) and decent materials put it on par with Peerless IMHO and I have had two of those. The nut width on mine is more like 1-11/16", BTW. Not sure if that is consistent. I also had no setup issues with it. If came with two bridges and I swapped in the wound G bridge with zero issues. Low action, no buzzing, etc. I got it used (but essentially new) for $750 USD including the case, case candy and shipping. My only complaint is the poly which, while not super thick, is a bit thick. There is no poly inside as someone had run across, BTW. Dig the 9.5" fretboard radius. In my happy zone.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I have one. I would say that it is more intermediate level. Korean build quality (flawless) and decent materials put it on par with Peerless IMHO and I have had two of those. The nut width on mine is more like 1-11/16", BTW. Not sure if that is consistent. I also had no setup issues with it. If came with two bridges and I swapped in the wound G bridge with zero issues. Low action, no buzzing, etc. I got it used (but essentially new) for $750 USD including the case, case candy and shipping. My only complaint is the poly which, while not super thick, is a bit thick. There is no poly inside as someone had run across, BTW. Dig the 9.5" fretboard radius. In my happy zone.
    What year is yours? They switched to 1-11/16 nut width around 2016, which makes them all of no interest to me anymore. And yes, it's intermediate level, but still I'd call a student model. A serious student though! I was a one myself when I got mine, my first jazz archtop!

User Info Menu

It must be newer because it has a 1-11/16" nut width. I have an SOS compensated shim on it as well. The guitar is fine for my purposes. I am not an expert on Korean builds or Korean factories, but like I said, it is everything as good as a comparable Peerless. In some ways it is better - three piece neck versus a Peerless scarf joint, light weight open Grover tuners versus sealed Pings or some such, etc. And after all, I am not a professional musician, so I will be a student all my life. I am good with that.
    Last edited by lammie200; 07-15-2019 at 05:35 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It must be newer because it has a 1-11/16" nut width. I have an SOS compensated shim on it as well. The guitar is fine for my purposes. I am not an expert on Korean builds or Korean factories, but like I said, it is everything as good as a comparable Peerless. In some ways it is better - three piece neck versus a Peerless scarf joint, light weight open Grover tuners versus sealed Pings or some such, etc. And after all, I am not a professional musician, so I will be a student all my life. I am good with that.

Does that mean Guild never offered that 1-11/16 nut width 'til 2016 ?

Does / did Guild offer a laminated ES 350 style 17 in. guitar ?

Thx

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Does that mean Guild never offered that 1-11/16 nut width 'til 2016 ?

Does / did Guild offer a laminated ES 350 style 17 in. guitar ?

Thx
    TBH, I don't know that answer to either question. Sorry.

User Info Menu

TBH, I don't know that answer to either question. Sorry.
    Thanks - - I'm just looking for a Guild alternative to the vintage ( therefore high-buck ) ES 300 - - 350s....

User Info Menu

Thanks - - I'm just looking for a Guild alternative to the vintage ( therefore high-buck ) ES 300 - - 350s....
    Dennis: Very easy:
    - old Guild X-500/550 (w/single coil pickups until 1963)
    - old Guild X-175 (w/single coil pickups until 1963)

These are different from Gibson ES-350 guitars in that:
    - they have spruce laminated tops instead of maple laminated tops (some ES-350 guitars have spruce laminated tops)
    - they have @24 3/4" scale instead of @25 1/2" scale

A less expensive option would be to get a new Guild X-175 Manhattan. It has P-90s and a standard harp tailpiece. It has a mahogany instead of a maple neck, a 24 3/4" scale and a 1 11/16" nut width.

Last edited by Hammertone; 10-10-2020 at 05:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Dennis: Very easy:
    - old Guild X-500/550 (w/single coil pickups until 1963)
    - old Guild X-175 (w/single coil pickups until 1963)

These are different from Gibson ES-350 guitars in that:
    - they have spruce laminated tops instead of maple laminated tops (some ES-350 guitars have spruce laminated tops)
    - they have @24 3/4" scale instead of @25 1/2" scale

A less expensive option would be to get a new Guild X-175 Manhattan Special, but it has two Dearmond-style single coil pickups instead of P-90s. Dead easy to replace these with P-90s. It also has a Bigsby, dead easy to remove and replace with a standard harp tailpiece. It has a mahogany instead of a maple neck, a 24 3/4" scale and a 1 11/16" nut width.

Another less expensive option would be to get a new Guild X-350, but it has three P-90-style pickups as opposed to two. It also has a Bigsby, easy to remove and replace with a standard harp tailpiece. It has a mahogany instead of a maple neck, a 24 3/4" scale and a 1 11/16" nut width.
    ......And no 1+11/16 until recently ?

Thanks a lot !

User Info Menu

......And no 1+11/16 until recently? Thanks a lot !
    Old/early Guilds are VERY handmade guitars. It's entirely possible that an old one has a 1 11/16" nut width - easy enough to ask the seller if you come across one for sale.

Also, I updated my post - turns out that there are new Guild X-175 models w/P-90s and harp tailpieces out there - if not new, then used. Inexpensive. For example:
    Guild X-175 Manhattan | Reverb
    Attached Images Attached Images Guild A-150 Savoy - Has any one had a chance to try one yet?-newark-collection-guild-x175-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 10-11-2020 at 03:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Old/early Guilds are VERY handmade guitars. It's entirely possible that an old one has a 1 11/16" nut width - easy enough to ask the seler if you come across one for sale.

Also, I updated my post - turns out that there are new Guild X-175 models w/P-90s and a harp tailpiece out there - if not new, then used. Inexpensive. For example:
    Well, I'll be.....

Thanks Stephen !

User Info Menu

I replace Rhythm 1000 by Rhythm 1100 + Vol and Tone Pot