The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

I subscribed to different guitar/jazz forums and I could never find a topic about the pickups.
    However the pickups are so important to get that jazzy sound we all like so much ! And they are loads of them...

So tell us which pickups you use or you'd like to use...

I'm using Gibson 57 Classic and 57 Classic Plus...and I really enjoy their sound but I'm thinking about getting Benedetto pickups.

What about you ?

PS: sorry about my English. I'm still learning it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

well, i guess it really comes down to what kind of jazz you're gonna play with them.

User Info Menu

What guitar are you using, Gibson uses the 57 classic in all of its high end arch top guitars, i have a few gibson's with the 57's and i like their tone, and versatility for jazz, blues rock etc.

Which guitar are you evaluating for new pickups.

peace

User Info Menu

I have an old pair of Ibanez super 58's in one of my guitars bought off eBay; If anyone ever wants some decent humbuckers these are the ones you want (i believe mr Scofield still has them in his lovely AS Ibanez).
    I recently bought a D'Angelico doublecut equipped with Kent Armstrongs apparently, sounding pretty lush, however the subtle gold finish on them is both fading and corroding; anyone know a cure to that (tried polishing)
    However singlecoils shouldn't be underrated, Bill Frisell can get a fatter sound out of a singlecoil with no treble trim than most players can on a humbucker with the tin turned down - cos when it gets down to it you have to understand that fingers are even more important.

User Info Menu

i'm looking into a gibson sg with a 490R in the neck position and a 498T in the bridge position. when i buy it should i change the pickups? and what kind of humbuckers would be best? any ideas?

User Info Menu

Sonicblast are planning on playing jazz on the sg? i am just curious as to you jazz guitar selection, i know you can play jazz on any model, mike stern uses a yamaha tele style guitar, but just curious as to why you are selecting an sg for jazz.

peace

User Info Menu

I like any humbucker that isn't too noisy and isn't too hot( I got a hot one and it screams) I like rolling off the tone to darken up the sound. I even like taking them out and replacing them. My fave has been the Seymour Duncan Jazz Neck so far, but I haven't use alot of high end stuff.

To mr JLC:

I could be mistaken but the SG was designed by Mr Les Paul way back when so it should be sufficient for Jazz. But we all know the guitar really rocks and rolls.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jlc
    Sonicblast are planning on playing jazz on the sg? i am just curious as to you jazz guitar selection, i know you can play jazz on any model, mike stern uses a yamaha tele style guitar, but just curious as to why you are selecting an sg for jazz.

peace

well, not just jazz. i play all kinds of stuff other than jazz. like Progressive Rock, Classic Rock, Blues, Hard Rock, Metal. I fell in love with the SG and with the thick neck that some models have (for my huge hands) and the ultimate fretboard access, it plays better than the Strats and Les Pauls i've played. i also like how it is balenced. i prefer it to all the other guitars i have played. are you wondering about the look of the body for jazz? i can understand when some people say that they don't like the body of the SG (i like it). But, it is more practical than all the other guitars i have seen. Anyway, if i can clarify anything please let me know. I don't want to give you an answer that doesn't make sense.

User Info Menu

An SG isn't that different from a Les Paul, and many jazzers use the good ol' Lester

User Info Menu

What guitar are you using
    I young and poor so I've got an Ibanez Artcore Ak85. But the finish and action are great and with nice pickups (like the 57 Classic) I think it sounds great.
    If I had more money I'd clearly go D'Angelico...but it's not for now !

User Info Menu

I tend to use my les paul for conventional jazz things. I have had Seymour duncan 59's (awesome) and a jon moore custom set from tonefordays.com (better).

Really couldnt be happier right now. We corresponded for a month with emails back and forth about materials and specs before I commisioned him to wind me a set and they turned out great. (and somehow cost less than a set of duncans). I went for a fairly low output, traditional set. really quite similar to the 59's but so much more. the incredible midrange detail blew me away.

If you really know what you want, I would suggest giving one of the local custom winders a shot, Jon is in Hamilton Ontario.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeanpatt
    I young and poor so I've got an Ibanez Artcore Ak85. But the finish and action are great and with nice pickups (like the 57 Classic) I think it sounds great.
    If I had more money I'd clearly go D'Angelico...but it's not for now !

Don't doubt the power of an Ibanez artcore! I played one a while back, they're extremely clear and focused, especially for the price range (approx. $400). If anyone knows what pickups are on these...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBlast
    well, not just jazz. i play all kinds of stuff other than jazz. like Progressive Rock, Classic Rock, Blues, Hard Rock, Metal. I fell in love with the SG and with the thick neck that some models have (for my huge hands) and the ultimate fretboard access, it plays better than the Strats and Les Pauls i've played. i also like how it is balenced. i prefer it to all the other guitars i have played. are you wondering about the look of the body for jazz? i can understand when some people say that they don't like the body of the SG (i like it). But, it is more practical than all the other guitars i have seen. Anyway, if i can clarify anything please let me know. I don't want to give you an answer that doesn't make sense.
    Sonic,

I have several jazz guitars, and i also have used a les paul reissue of the 1956 model, and have used that as well as a tele, strat etc. You can use any guitar you want, i was just curious as to the sg, the pickups that you talk about are fine, i think they are the same as the ones in a BB king model that i have, and it can definitely do the jazz, blues, rock, so it is a good choice for versatility, they are a little darker and hotter than the '57's.

peace

User Info Menu

thanks. just out of curiosity, what kind of humbuckers would you suggest for jazz though?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel
    Don't doubt the power of an Ibanez artcore! I played one a while back, they're extremely clear and focused, especially for the price range (approx. $400). If anyone knows what pickups are on these...
    Aside from the custom series, all the Ibanez Artcores come with ACH1 and ACH2 pickups which are a little...weak, neutral.

User Info Menu

Hi, all.
    I'm using the stock pickups on my instruments, and each is different, yet each perfect for jazz:
    1. custom shop Les Paul based on 1967?? Huh, can't remember now. anyway, combined with the pickups, 57's I believe they are, and the tree-trunk of a neck, its the mellowest tone I've got, with singing sustain.
    2. Strat: american made fender. Cool! I'm still learning this instrument as it is new, but its a marvelous guitar, the neck pup is just as singing as the LP above, but somehow, has a little bite to it.
    3. Ric 381: toaster pup in the neck position, sends the blues away so I can concentrate on just playing swinging.

Any one use Seth Lovers ? Heard they are warmer than the Gibson 57s. Looking for new pick ups on an Ibanez.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MattEg
    I could be mistaken but the SG was designed by Mr Les Paul way back when so it should be sufficient for Jazz. But we all know the guitar really rocks and rolls.
    Nah, afaik it was designed by Gibson and was set to be called a Les Paul but he didn't like it and had his name removed.

User Info Menu

yer i use the good old les paul!!! they are the best for jazz if ytou ask me but my only problem is the weight and the restriction on the lower frets eg 15 and lower but hey apart from that id go with them. Also the cheaper types eg Vintage have wilkinson pickups and they have a real punch

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel
    I agree about the Ibanez Artcore series. High quality at an incredible pricepoint.

Most of the lower priced Artcores use the ACH1 (neck) and ACH2 (bridge) humbuckers. The higher end Artcores use Custom 58's or Silent 58's which are versions of the Super 58 pickup especially designed to be used with semi- and full-hollowbody guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rev_ollie
    yer i use the good old les paul!!! they are the best for jazz if ytou ask me but my only problem is the weight and the restriction on the lower frets eg 15 and lower but hey apart from that id go with them. Also the cheaper types eg Vintage have wilkinson pickups and they have a real punch
    I like Les Paul guitars, but did not want to fork out the required bucks (at this point) for a Gibson. The Epi LP's aren't too bad, and are much more economical, but when it came time to buy my first electric guitar I selected the Ibanez AR305AV, one of their classic Artist series. It hearkens back to some of the great guitars Ibanez put out in the 70's and 80's (the early post-lawsuit days). It's similar to the Les Paul's but in the case of the AR305 its a burl mahogany cap on top of a mahogany body (rather than a flamed maple cap like most of the top end LP's). I like the fact that it has a double-cut for easier access to the upper frets. It's equipped with Ibanez Super 58 pickups which are pretty sweet too. I'm quite pleased with it. It's got great versatility for the styles I like to play.

User Info Menu

Pick-ups; I recently had my vintage ('73) Yamaha AE-11 re-fitted with Seymour Duncan humbuckers. The difference is incredible! Seymour Duncan makes several different styles of humbucker. I had the early '50s model mounted in the neck position. It has a very warm, fatt (with two t's) jazz sound, just like my '53 ES125 (no

User Info Menu

no Cutaway, one pickup! The damn computer keeps posting on autopilot before I have fihished!! very frustrating.

User Info Menu

I just installed a CC Rider from Vintagevibes guitars at the neck of My Telecaster. Very jazzy tone...

http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/windows/sc_ccWin.html

I'll update my website with lots of pictures soon.

User Info Menu

Sonic,

they are a little darker and hotter than the '57's.
    I am new to the world of electric guitars and would like to know what is meant by the term 'hot' when referring to pickups. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Cheers.