The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Which Locking Tuners Do you Use?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grover (Standard or Minis)

8 12.50%
  • Sperzels

27 42.19%
  • HipShot (Open Back or Friction grip)

9 14.06%
  • Planet Wave

6 9.38%
  • Schaller

16 25.00%
  • Kluson

5 7.81%
  • Fender

8 12.50%
  • Other

10 15.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 56

User Info Menu

One of the things I really, really like about Fender "vintage-style" tuners is that the string is pre-cut and the pointy end is inserted into the tuner post in such a manner that does not leave any sharp protrusions. Despite my joke above in the thread about getting sepsis and dieing from a string stab, I too got nailed by the sharp end of a string, right up under the fingernail, and it took a remarkably long time to heal. Like months. Got me pretty good I guess.

Still gives me shivers thinking about it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a set of Sperzels that were given to me to put on a Gretsch and I was hesitant to do so because they're heavier than the guitar's standard tuners.

But then I got a Jim Root Tele and that comes with locking tuners and I'm a convert. I'm putting the Gretsch under for surgery later in 2020 to change the pots and swap the pickup/mud switch. I think I'm going to change the tuners then, too. Being able to lock down the string on a Bigsby-equipped guitar is definitely a good thing.

User Info Menu

Locking nut, yes. Locking tuner does nothing more than correct string wrap around the peg does. I remember when the locking tuners came on the market and I was not sure to whom they were marketed. Novices that don't know how to wrap the string on the tuner?

User Info Menu

Even thought they are proprietary (but you can buy them separately), I would have included PRS in your poll. I like the way they lock from the top, instead of the back.

User Info Menu

Sperzels on the Strat and I also really like the lockers on my ‘94 PRS. I understand the current PRS design is a little different.

User Info Menu

I checked 'other' which, to me, means 'none'. Haven't needed them for 60 years of playing and don't need them now. I know how to install strings so they don't slip. Never had a tuning problem even on pedal steel with the constant string stretching from using the pedals and knee levers. You learn to install them so they're stable. No rocket surgery to it - these things seem to be a solution looking for a problem.

User Info Menu

I like lockers for the convenience of string changes. Some makes are not much heavier than nonlockers if at all. Hipshots on my Fender partscaster types because they offer small butterbean knobs and are two-pin drop ins with no small mounting screws. Kluson Revolution on a couple of my Gibsons because they offer pearloid knobs that look close to original and have a footprint that is an exact fit to the originals. I also have some guitars with conventional tuners and am good with those as well. They can't really be changed out for lockers because no direct replacement lockers will fit without modifications. In other words, I wouldn't go so far as to modify a guitar just to put lockers on them.

User Info Menu

Why there is no option for not using locking tuners at all?

Maybe I am lucky but my guitars are never go out of tune just because of the tempersture change (all stings equal degree sharp or flat). So I have to tune them regularly to play with iReal or Aebersold. But using locking tuners would not help on that... Needless to say I have no bigsby neither bending...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    Why there is no option for not using locking tuners at all?
    Just don't check any of the boxes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    I checked 'other' which, to me, means 'none'. Haven't needed them for 60 years of playing and don't need them now.

User Info Menu

My Yamaha Pacifica cheapie stays in tune really well with Gotoh tuners.

My Comins GCS-1 does not stay in tune nearly as well. Not sure why. I attach the strings to the posts the same way on both guitars. Pencil lead trick in the nut slots didn't help.

Since the Yamaha stays in tune (can often play a night without retuning), I don't see why I should need locking tuners on any guitar. The Yamaha seems to prove that you don't need locking tuners to stay in tune.

User Info Menu

I install them on electrics that I gig with. I've never had tuning problems with any guitar I've owned, but when it comes to changing strings, once locking tuners spoil you.. I remember breaking two strings on a gig once, keyboard player took a solo and I was ready and in tune in no time. I'm very efficient in changing strings with normal tuners, have all the tools etc, but there's just no comparison.

I've tried a few brands, and I think sperzels are one level above everything else. Although on my tele I have different ones, the ones that look like vintage normal tuners. Don't like them though..

User Info Menu

I had Fender locking tuners on my strat partscaster, but I decided to change to flat wound strings. Well, wouldn't ya know it-I started breaking strings left right and center! These were TI flats, so not cheap strings. Maybe it was because they have a round core?

Anyway when I swapped out the locking Fender tuners for regular Wilkinson non-lockers, the flat wounds stopped breaking! Eight months and no breakage!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    then it gives "You did not select an option to vote for. Please press back to return to the poll and choose an option before voting."

User Info Menu

then it gives "You did not select an option to vote for. Please press back to return to the poll and choose an option before voting."
    If anyone cared about the poll, it wouldn't have died 6 1/2 years ago.....

User Info Menu

I don't use locking tuners on any of my archtops, but love Gotoh HAPM on 6 on the side Fender-style necks, and Gotoh Magnum lock otherwise. The HAPM has the extra benefit of being heigh adjustable, so you can get away without having a string tee.

I hate the extra bulk of locking mechanism on normal locking tuners.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    If anyone cared about the poll, it wouldn't have died 6 1/2 years ago.....
    Reading the date of the OP, good idea to keep most old (risen from the dead zombie) threads where they belong... dead.

OTOH, on infrequent occasions a zombie thread presents (again) old info new members either cannot find or don't search for.

User Info Menu

Sorry, I thought it asked "Which locking tuners do you use?," and gave a closed-ended multiple choice. Not, "Do you use locking tuners or not, and why?" Obviously my mistake.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    I had Fender locking tuners on my strat partscaster, but I decided to change to flat wound strings. Well, wouldn't ya know it-I started breaking strings left right and center! These were TI flats, so not cheap strings. Maybe it was because they have a round core?

Anyway when I swapped out the locking Fender tuners for regular Wilkinson non-lockers, the flat wounds stopped breaking! Eight months and no breakage!

I tried some lockers (sorry can't remember the make but it was
    a well known brand though ,with TI flats and they broke multiple wound strings at the tuner posts)

does anyone successfully use any make of lockers with TI flats ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    I tried some lockers (sorry can't remember the make but it was
    a well known brand though ,with TI flats and they broke multiple wound strings at the tuner posts)

does anyone successfully use any make of lockers with TI flats ?
    I did for many years , first with Sperzels but mostly with Hipshots. I never had a problem.

User Info Menu

I am with Jim - no problems. Like I said Hipshots and Klusons, although I did have one with Schallers. No problems on any of them.

User Info Menu

I have these on one of my guitars and they work great!
    Gotoh 510-MGT Delta Series 3x3 Locking Tuners 21:1 Gold TK-7247-002

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    I have these on one of my guitars and they work great!
    Gotoh 510-MGT Delta Series 3x3 Locking Tuners 21:1 Gold TK-7247-002
    Their high end tuners are really great in every respect. Well designed, well engineered and well machined.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I haven't used locking tuners on any of my guitars in 35 years, play blues, funk, r&b, plenty of string bending, including a strat with whammy...never any tuning problems. I know how to install strings so they don't slip, and keep the nut slots lubricated. Maybe I don't understand locking tuners.
    Locking Tuners just make changing strings less of a chore. That is why have them on almost all my electrics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps
    I've got locking tuners on my jazzmaster, because I can divebomb that baby with no regrets. Not too frequently in a 'jazz' setting, but occasionally it might help
    Please explain how to divebomb on a Jazzmaster.