The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 203

User Info Menu

Congratulations! Listened to your audio file "French Fries"--real nice guitar playing!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

There's not much wrong with that now man ...
    Really nice ...

Do you reckon the clearcoat is a bit thinner on
    these af55 than a usual ibanez ?

I'd put black chicken head knobs and cream pu rings
    and remove the pickguard ... I did that with my Af81

Did you have to smooth the fret ends much ?
    I did on my Af81

I might put a CC type pickup on mine , its got
    a HB size P90 on it at the mo

User Info Menu

Yes, the finish seems pretty thin, but I couldn’t say if it’s thinner than usual. After I polished it you can see a hint of wood grain if you look at it against the light in a shallow angle, so it might be thinner indeed.

I did run a sanding paper (wrapped around a small wood block) along the fretboard edges, but more to give those a bit of a rounded off feeling. Fret ends were pretty much near perfect. I am still amazed about the quality of the fit and finish for such a low priced guitar!

User Info Menu

Fantastic
    If the veneer isn't thinner than on other Artcores it certainly looks so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d
    Fantastic
    If the veneer isn't thinner than on other Artcores it certainly looks so.
    I tend to think it is...

I had an Ibanez AF-75 briefly (for a year or so) once upon a time (traded it for a really nice MIK Epi Dot, that I in turn traded for a sweet Tele I still have, but I digress...)

The AF-75 seemed much heavier than the 55 that I tried at GC recently. That was one of the reasons I moved it along, truthfully. It was a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

A short revival and update of this topic:

Remember I reversed the neck pickup so that the coil with the adjustable polepieces would be in the position of the virtual 24th fret? I assumed thus would bring a little bit of extra clarity.

To test this theory I reversed the pickup to a ‘normal’ position last weekend. Result: I like the position of the ‘falsely’ mounted pickup (with pole pieces in the 24th fret position) better! It does indeed bring some extra clarity and makes the tone a little lighter. In the normal position it sounds much more as if you are playing with your right hand over the fretboard all the time. It’s a matter of preference of course, so what suits you best is something you have to find out for yourself, but for me with this particular guitar I like the pickup reversed. (So I have to swap it back again :-)

User Info Menu

I’m curious as to what the neck profile is like on this guitar.
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jtpal25
    I’m curious as to what the neck profile is like on this guitar.
    Thanks
    It’s a perfect medium C(or maybe I should say shallow D), doesn’t feel too thin at all, with enough meat. I mostly play a ‘50 ES-125 with a big neck and although the Ibanez neck is thinner than that of the ES-125, it’s not that much thinner to annoy or trouble me (when I switch back and fourth between the two I don’t need to adjust). The fretboard radius feels just a little flatter, but really only a little, could be just in my mind (could be because the fretboard edges of the 125 are more rounded off after all these years).

I think the neck profile is about the same as of my 2005 ES-333.
    Last edited by Little Jay; 03-09-2018 at 04:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi folks, I really like the look of this guitar with a pickguard. Wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of which one to buy for it. Would any Gibson style ones fit?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hood
    Hi folks, I really like the look of this guitar with a pickguard. Wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of which one to buy for it. Would any Gibson style ones fit?
    I doubt it.... distance between the pickups is different.

I made the pickguard myself from a blank. You can order those at thomann.de for example.

Goldo PG53B Pickguard Blank BK – Thomann Nederland

User Info Menu

is the trussroad work properlly?
    is a new af-55 guitar need fretworks?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    is the trussroad work properlly?
    is a new af-55 guitar need fretworks?
    Kris, the one I got was almost perfect right out if the box. Trussrod works. Frets were leveled, crowned and polished perfectly. The only thing I did was to run a sanding paper along the fretboard’s edges because I don’t like the feel of the sharp edge of a new fretboard. But the frets were not protruding.

Very good quality control on these Ibanez guitars! (Well, at least on the one I got.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Kris, the one I got was almost perfect right out if the box. Trussrod works. Frets were leveled, crowned and polished perfectly. The only thing I did was to run a sanding paper along the fretboard’s edges because I don’t like the feel of the sharp edge of a new fretboard. But the frets were not protruding.

Very good quality control on these Ibanez guitars! (Well, at least on the one I got.)
    Thanks Little Jay,
    I think about this model of Ibanez...I have ocasion to buy it used for 250 Euro.
    best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Thanks Little Jay,
    I think about this model of Ibanez...I have ocasion to buy it used for 250 Euro.
    best
    Kris
    For €250 you can buy a lot of guitar! But you might want to replace the pickups. Although the originals are not really bad and might work for you.

User Info Menu

Hi Little Jay,

last week I bought a two months old AF55 from a guy in Milan that gave me
    the guitar (newly strung with Ibanez 010/013/017/030/042/052 strings) +
    an Ibanez soft gig bag + a nylon strap for a total of 150€. In Milan (Lucky Music)
    they are selling it for 275€ (just the guitar).

I can clearly see the guitar is new even if it should be a 2014 model (code 1202) with ACHS pickups
    instead of the Infinity R they mount nowadays. I think it's been sleeping in the shop
    quite a bit.

I'm not a guitarist like you guys and I bought it because my 17 years old daughter
    started to learn to play to accompany herself a few months ago and recently said to me
    that she would love Tuck Andress guitar's sound better than the stock nylon classical
    Admira Menina's, that's been around in the house for about 45 years, on which she started
    her learning path.
    So I looked around for a cheap semi hollow and found that bargain: non bad, isnt'it?

For now I'm not thinking to change anything but after reading all this thread
    I'm thinking to try and reverse the stock pickup at the neck and I would love
    to get to the same finish you got on yours. I read you used a car polishing product
    but, being afraid to use the wrong polishing product and to ruin my AF55 I beg you
    to squeeze your memory and please give me some more details or examples (names)
    about the actual product you used. I've never used a car polish thing so I don't even know
    if there are different categories or "ingredients" so, here I am.

I love the look of your one and I will go on this route only if I will feel
    absolutely safe.

Thanks.

fabio

User Info Menu

I like that; I see a poor man’s ES-350, Kessel Style. Nice job.

Steven

User Info Menu

Hi Fabio,

Great bargain on the guitar! You did well!

I used Valma scratch remover:

But I really think that any polishing compound would do the trick. You can always try it out on a little spot on the back. Mind you: it took a lot of rubbing! You just rub until it starts to shine, little spot by little spot. It took me at least an hour per side. The technique is to make a little ball of cloth on which the polish form a rubbery film that is your polishing surface. Use circular movements. Breathing on it helps! (Like you would do cleaning a mirror.)

Good luck! I’m confident you can do it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevo58
    I like that; I see a poor man’s ES-350, Kessel Style. Nice job.

Steven
    It’s really a very nice guitar that plays super comfortable!

Here’s me playing it on a boat jn the city canal last weekend. I took it instead of the ES-125 because of the chance of rain. Good thing I did because it started raining cats and dogs and it got wet indeed! But poly finish can easily handle that ;-)

User Info Menu

Great thread. Ive got one of these babies and I love it. I was torn between upgrading to an almost sub-1000 guitar or upgrading the pups on this one. After looking at the job you did I think I might go for upgrading the pups, pots and maybe add a tortoiseshell pickguard. I was thinking about Gibson 57 Classic Plus pups.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Poolshark
    Great thread. Ive got one of these babies and I love it. I was torn between upgrading to an almost sub-1000 guitar or upgrading the pups on this one. After looking at the job you did I think I might go for upgrading the pups, pots and maybe add a tortoiseshell pickguard. I was thinking about Gibson 57 Classic Plus pups.
    Great to see my work is still inspiring others! ;-)

I think the classic 57 would work well in this guitar. I like them a lot in my ES-333 and I think they are not very different from the Gibson patent number humbucker I put in the neck position of the AF55. And I like the tone the patent number delivers there!
    Last edited by Little Jay; 09-24-2018 at 06:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Man the finish looks AMAZING.

I’ve just upgraded my (Korean) AF85 with two Gibson 57 Classics, sounding pretty good. I’m going to gig the bejeezus out of it late October so will report on it here.

But I might try the pick up swap thing. Does it give you a Peter Green middle position?

User Info Menu

I suppose you’d need to rewire it for that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I suppose you’d need to rewire it for that
    Indeed, for a Peter Green circuit it needs to be rewired (or magnets swapped around or something)

User Info Menu

Hi there!
    I am looking forward to this outstanding looking AF55 Modell.
    I have a question about the volume and tone button change.
    Can the amber ibanez buttons you used be placed on the installed pots or do I need
    other pots to use the amber colored buttons?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Prof.Reverb
    Hi there!
    I am looking forward to this outstanding looking AF55 Modell.
    I have a question about the volume and tone button change.
    Can the amber ibanez buttons you used be placed on the installed pots or do I need
    other pots to use the amber colored buttons?
    I am pretty sure they will fit. I changed the pots, but the ones I used have just the same standard ‘split shaft’ as the factory ones I took out, so I don’t see why they wouldn’t fit!