The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 203
    It really is! I just can't help fricking around moding my guitars though. I always loved the look of the D'angelo truss rod covers and tried to make my own version.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I saw your vid unplugged and sounded pretty good.
    I don't suppose when you initially had the pickups out that you put strings on and played a bit as an "acoustic only"?
    Curious what would sound like with pickup "sound holes" in addition to F-holes.
    Half the price of a Godin 5th Ave acoustic only (if you can find one).
    I just want to play casually in front of the TV, unplugged like Jimmy Bruno.
    I can't play like Jimmy but otherwise pretty similar - except I need to start smoking

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Lowe
    I saw your vid unplugged and sounded pretty good.
    I don't suppose when you initially had the pickups out that you put strings on and played a bit as an "acoustic only"?
    Curious what would sound like with pickup "sound holes" in addition to F-holes.
    Half the price of a Godin 5th Ave acoustic only (if you can find one).
    I just want to play casually in front of the TV, unplugged like Jimmy Bruno.
    I can't play like Jimmy but otherwise pretty similar - except I need to start smoking
    Hi Buzz, no, sorry I didn’t play it without the pickups! I suppose without the pickups dampening the top, it would gain a little volume but if that’s substantial enough to really notice, I don’t know.

For me it’s the ideal couch guitar because of it being a little thinner than most archtop, but still with nice enough sound and good enough volume to watch the news and hear the guitar ;-)

User Info Menu

Picking one of these up tomorrow for $250 from a local guy and I can’t wait to get some polishing compound from the garage and copy LJ’s work. Already have a rosewood bridge in the drawer to swap out the stock one. I’m toying with finding a good Humbucker-sized P90 to drop in it or maybe get another Stewmac Parson Street PAF...loved the one I had in my budget 175 project. Based on what I’ve read, this should be a really good platform to tinker with and has a good foundation for not a lot of coin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    Picking one of these up tomorrow for $250 from a local guy and I can’t wait to get some polishing compound from the garage and copy LJ’s work. Already have a rosewood bridge in the drawer to swap out the stock one. I’m toying with finding a good Humbucker-sized P90 to drop in it or maybe get another Stewmac Parson Street PAF...loved the one I had in my budget 175 project. Based on what I’ve read, this should be a really good platform to tinker with and has a good foundation for not a lot of coin.
    Good luck! Keep us posted with the results!

User Info Menu

Still like mine a lot, btw!

User Info Menu

Nice, LJ. Diggin it. I’m glad you’re still enamored with her! I hope the guy selling his comes through today or tomorrow. Got a text late last night from him that said he couldn’t meet this afternoon so we’ll see if tomorrow works out. I already missed out on a screaming deal on a Broadway with Gibson pickups so two let-downs in a row would kinda sting a little.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    Thanks Jay...Looking forward to it.

Also any observations you have on pickup location
    right near 20th fret versus ES 175 location will be interesting.
    Isn't that where the Gibson L4ces puts it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Isn't that where the Gibson L4ces puts it?
    Yes. Virtual 22nd fret, to be exact.

User Info Menu

Looks like this thread is still going after nearly 3 years

Jay, I just got an AF55. To be honest, you sold it to me, so thank you.

I really like what you've done to modify yours and expect I will follow your example.

A couple of quick questions:

When you installed the wooden bridge, did you have to cut notches for the strings like a conventional metal bridge or nut would have?

Also, I (try to) play blues rather than jazz - lots of string bending. Do you think that type of wooden bridge can handle that?

And, did you replace the pots, wiring, switch etc? I'm guessing these are all very basic on this budget guitar. Do you think that would make a big difference?

Thanks, and great playing.

User Info Menu

Hey JC2D,

Welcome to the forum!

I did not - and never do - notch the bridge, but I do press the strings into the bridge a little bit the first time. That’s enough in my case with .012 flatwounds. I do bend and I never have the strings (or bridge for that matter) shift and leaving their position. I don’t know if much lighter strings behave differently, no experience with that.

I did change pots and wiring, but to be honest there was no real need for that. I only did it so I could take the whole harness out at once intact, with the origInal pickups, just in case I would have needed to put it back for whatever reason.

Good luck with your new purchase and keep us informed about the results!

User Info Menu

Thanks for your reply Jay. That’s good to know about the bridge.
    Your Gibson Es 125 is beautiful by the way, a different league from this budget Ibanez.
    Peace, John.

User Info Menu

You’re welcome! Yes, the ES-125 is a very different league, but I enjoy the AF55 a lot too!

User Info Menu

Little Jay,

I must say you're one seriously great player! Wow! Thanks for the inspiration!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Little Jay,

I must say you're one seriously great player! Wow! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Thank you so much! You just made my day!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the post and the titillation LJ! You have me eyeing the Thomann pages at this very moment. Very tempting.

User Info Menu

Super thread LJ. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone! Still waiting for my commission from Ibanez.... :-D

User Info Menu

Thanks Little Jay, the whole thread has been inspirational, especially your playing. I’m a beginner amateur and started during our initial lockdown, so a long way to go. I fell in love with the sound of hollow body/jazz guitars and was truly lucky to stumble across mine. Hanging in the stairwell of a mostly online store, with a dust jersey and 5 rusty strings, it got left behind for a few weeks as I’d gone there to see an AF75( no joy, not in store, in warehouse ) and I didn’t know anything about it and in that condition it was unplayable .

Anyway, circumstances had me back there again, with a lot more info in my head, and it was still there looking sad.

$157 dollars later and it was mine.

New strings, something light I had lying around and WOW!
    Action is great, finish is great once the dust was off, and I grab it first every day.
    My only gripe is the tuners, they’re a bit dodgy, need upgrading and the bridge spring had to be removed (buzz party).

After reading this, I’m gonna look around for bits and pieces to ‘pimp’ mine. It’s a 2015 model, so who knows how long it languished there before rescue!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander
    Thanks Little Jay, the whole thread has been inspirational, especially your playing. I’m a beginner amateur and started during our initial lockdown, so a long way to go. I fell in love with the sound of hollow body/jazz guitars and was truly lucky to stumble across mine. Hanging in the stairwell of a mostly online store, with a dust jersey and 5 rusty strings, it got left behind for a few weeks as I’d gone there to see an AF75( no joy, not in store, in warehouse ) and I didn’t know anything about it and in that condition it was unplayable .

Anyway, circumstances had me back there again, with a lot more info in my head, and it was still there looking sad.

Action is great, finish is great once the dust was off, and I grab it first every day.
    My only gripe is the tuners, they’re a bit dodgy, need upgrading and the bridge spring had to be removed (buzz party).

After reading this, I’m gonna look around for bits and pieces to ‘pimp’ mine. It’s a 2015 model, so who knows how long it languished there before rescue!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander

Good deal for $157! Let the fun begin!

User Info Menu

I'm collecting one of these tomorrow! My first Ibanez.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    I'm collecting one of these tomorrow! My first Ibanez.
    Cool! Keep us posted!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Cool! Keep us posted!
    It's dated May 2018. Indonesian. I read Ibanez changed the neck from mahogany 'for 2019'. I'm not sure what I have but the neck wood is pretty light coloured. It's mint. Next job is new strings and truss rod tighten!

User Info Menu

Gary you may find the tuners to be a bit wonky, I have two Indonesian Ibanez’s and the only only complaint I would make is the tuners are not that great.
    But otherwise... wow they are really great guitars.... best of luck with yours!