The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's my small board:

Show Your Pedalboards!-20905_10151525373819496_1654620084_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nowayback
    Show Your Pedalboards!-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21365677230-987776-jpg
    This is mine
    Is the wamplet tape a good match with the hof? Loving my hof but thinking about getting a wampler or an el capistan to match it. The flashback is nice but not as good as I wanted it to be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil
    Here's my small board:

Show Your Pedalboards!-20905_10151525373819496_1654620084_n-jpg
    What are your thoughts on the eqd? I am liking my dispatch master a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    What are your thoughts on the eqd? I am liking my dispatch master a lot.
    I really like the Disaster Transport Sr.

I'm a big fan of "murky" echoes, having grown up listening to (and playing) devices like tape delays and the original EHX Memory Man.

The Disaster Transport Sr. combines two independent delays and a reverb. There have been - to the best of my knowledge - a very small number of attempts at a dual analog-sounding delay; I remember the Toadworks Redux - to name one - with mixed feelings.

I think EQD really hit the sweet spot for dual analog-sounding delays with this pedal. The controls are sanely laid out and labeled, the architecture makes sense and the sound is warm and organic without unnecessary noise.

It's nice that you can plug in an expression pedal or two to control certain settings, but I haven't really found this to be useful for the type of music I play.

The reverb is nothing to write home about. If you're seeking a primary reverb sound, there are certainly better options. As an adjunct to the delays, though, this reverb fits well.

User Info Menu

Here's my large board:

Show Your Pedalboards!-20130412_182823-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    I sold my BlueSky to get the Flint. The BlueSky is great, but I found it easier to dial in a range of useful tones with the Flint's more limited reverb controls.

How are you using the HOG? I got the Superego a couple of weeks ago as I suppose it's a 'deluxe Freeze' but wonder now whether I should have gone all out for the HOG.
    Oops didn't see this post when I first scrolled through.

I've heard a lot of mixed things, either flint or BS. Now I'm not sure!
    The HOG is incredible. I got it originally to get a B3 sound out of my guitar, but now I see it has a whole other lot of possibilities, I dig using a single upper octave, or the dry sound with the upper octave, which kind of sounds like a 12 string guitar.

User Info Menu

Here is mine ... not for jazz playing though. For jazz I tend to only use a bit of reverb and I have a EHX Holy Grail that I like on the spring reverb setting. I play that through a Barber Barb EQ into a small tube amp from a local builder and together it sounds awesome (I don't, but it's not the fault of the equipment :-)). There also is a TC electronics "ditto" looper for home practice that I like a lot.

This is used for band playing:

Show Your Pedalboards!-img_0845-jpg

The Corona, Flashback, HOF, Paraeq and Spark booster go in the loop. The Cry Baby, Tuner, Vahlbruch Compressor and Nova drive go before the amp. All (except for the Nova drive which requires higher voltage) is driven by a single power supply - so things are compact, reasonably tidy and yet flexible.

The Nova drive is an analogue, programmable unit with Overdrive and distortion which can be routed in any order, separately or together. It sounds quite good and has 18 presets that can be stored which is great because one doesn't have to fiddle with the knobs all the time. I mainly use the Paraeq to dial out some boomy bass and occasionally to shape the tone a bit. It also has an awesome clean boost that I use. The spark booster is used to boost with some increase in gain. It also has a dial to boost highs/lows or mids.

On the HOF I use the Soren Andersen toneprint which has a nice range of settings (subtle, fat "stadium" and a much nicer spring reverb than the default). On the flashback I use the Dann Huff Tape Delay toneprint (much better than the default in my ears) and on the Corona also the Dann Huff toneprint.

Other than that I can't avoid to have a noise gate (Boss NS_2) - not because of the pedals but the Supersonic Amp that I play through is pretty noisy at higher gain settings (but sounds amazing). It kills some of the sustain but works well in the infamous "X-configuration".

User Info Menu

Frank how does one goes trough the 3 settings on the HOF? Which knob does it?

User Info Menu

It is the "decay" button that Soren Andersen has cleverly programmed. On the left it is a subtle reverb, in the middle a pretty prominent (but to my ears pleasant and tastefully lush) spring reverb and on the right a big "rock the stadium" reverb.

User Info Menu

I'm like Jorge, too lazy to post a pic!

Mine is Guitar>Kingsley Jester>Fulltone Supa-Trem>Boss DD-20>Dr. Scientist RRR (reverb)

I've gone through many iterations of each type of pedal that I use(OD, Tremolo, Delay, and reverb) and these, IMO, are the top of the heap. I also have a fuzz face that I use sometimes, a Hartman SFZ.

User Info Menu

What other reverbs have you compared the RRR to?

User Info Menu

i just picked up a Flint Strymon..great pedal!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    What other reverbs have you compared the RRR to?
    Well, I've been stuck on the RRR for a few years now so I haven't tried a lot of the newer pedals. I've had/compared it to the EHX Holy Grail (old big box one), Boss RV-3, TC HoF, a Boss/Fender collab (?), several amp reverbs and maybe one or two others that I'm forgetting. I haven't had a Strymon Blue Sky, but I've heard a lot of them and they do sound good, but I like the RRR better. I am curious about the Flint reverbs though, they sound amazing on the videos, but I've heard that the tremolo isn't as good as a nice analog trem. I think the Strymon stuff is really good at ambient type sound.

Several of those reverb pedals sounded very nice, so I'm not knocking them, I just like the RRR better. I have an older big box RRR and I don't know if it's any different from the new small ones, but when you turn it on it just adds a little extra something, so does the Fulltone Supa-Trem.

User Info Menu

For all of you RAT lovers...have you ever tried a fuzz face? I've never been able to bond with the RAT, but I love a nice germanium fuzz face. You can use your guitar volume to get your desired level of dirt.

User Info Menu

Thanks Greaser!! The RAT needs some mods to sound just right imo.

User Info Menu

I knew I was forgetting a couple of reverbs! The Wet reverb and a Morgan Shadow Verb (very limited number made by Morgan amps). They were both really cool, but they seemed to add a slight touch of chorus-type modulation that I didn't care for. I really wanted to like the Morgan because it was so rare and it looked really cool too.

The Boss RV-3 plate reverb actually sounded really good with the tone rolled down. I may get another one of those one day and send it to Analogman for him to mod the delay repeats with his dark switch.

User Info Menu

I travel and can't bring my amp. But doing local small jazz gigs I still bring my Axe Fx. I have a great old Deluxe Reverb that needs to go in the shop.

User Info Menu

Here's my pedal board. Very minimal indeed... Also, zero noise and zero tone loss.
    Attached Images Attached Images Show Your Pedalboards!-2013-06-01-11-43-21-jpg 

User Info Menu

Here's mine:

Boss volume pedal - Plutoneium Wah wah - Boss BD2 - Ibanaez Delay - Small Stone Phaser - MXR EQ:

Fits a 15" laptop bag:

Ready for public transport with a small amp (Session Rockette:30):

User Info Menu

It seems the EH Freeze pedal is on a lot of boards.
    How do you guys use that? What does it do exactly?

User Info Menu

I use it for ambient sections, or just to fill out the sound a bit during a vamp. You can also get some very cool sounds by using it to hold a chord to solo over.

It's an infinite sustain pedal. It's definitely one you have to try and see if you like.

User Info Menu

I hope nobody minds me resurrecting this thread but I'm something of a pedal enthusiast and I'm interested to see what other jazz players use.

Here's mine:

If I spent less time messing with these things and more time studying, I'd be a lot more proficient on my instrument but I don't mind. I like to collect things and this is just a way of combining music with my love of electronics and design. They make me happy so it's time/money well spent.

User Info Menu

yay! i love these threads. i have three pedal boards. they all do the same thing, more or less, but to different degrees. the lineups are pretty set for now. i'd like to replace the designated buffer pedals with something more useful, but this is ok for now. all are set up on pedal train boards, so they all have a soft case for easy packing and travelling. the pedals were selected for sound quality (above all else), but also versatility, efficiency and what would fit on the boards. didn't want a super massive one. there are three boards because i went through so many pedals over the years and this is what happens. one stays by the couch and the others are with the rest of the gear.

the baby board- for small jams and travelling. shown with the baby amp, a vox ac4hw. the modded bad monkey is used as a buffer, and occasionally, as a preamp/eq to get a more "normal" sound out of the vox. helpful for trying to approximate older jazz sounds, believe it or don't. maybe dial in just a little grit. ep booster is always on, to fill out the sound a little and as a defacto amp volume/overdrive knob. and no, i usually set the tuner on the amp. i don't have enough power cables, so i either swap the tuner and sl drive supply as needed, or run the sl drive with a battery. little footie things added, with a fuel tank jr wedged below.

the big board- same basic concept as above, but expanded. used for recording, and important things and so on. one reverb is dark and murky, the other is a little clearer and more aggressive. the belle is run in bypass mode at 18 volts (red cable) and the dark echo also makes a killer room reverb sound, if need be. the noise gate is used as a buffer only. not sure if it is working, to be honest. i'd like to replace it with something functional, but this is fine for now. fuel tank chameleon underneath.

the derelict board- comprised of odds, ends, things i failed to sell and things i couldn't bear to part with. not enough cable to go around so that's what it is for now. this is the "jazz" board and it sits in front of the jc77. the rc booster is set up for an "instant jazz" sound the giant blue thing is used a preamp to make it sound like a guitar. blue one is always on, the rc booster is usually on. reverb is always on, too, as i don't care for the roland's reverb much. i still really like how this board sounds. the shape shifter is super underrated and the memory toy is cheap, dirty fun. that tuner has a mic so i don't have to use it inline. also works with acoustics.

User Info Menu

I've recently settled on a board for my rock and fusion type of stuffs:

Wilson Signature Wah -> EHX Qtron -> EQD The Depths univibe -> Foxrox Octron -> Mojo Hand Crosstown -> Skreddy Screwdriver -> Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso boost.

For my straight ahead jazz stuff I usually just need my Mad Professor Silver Spring reverb if anything at all.
    Last edited by monkmiles; 01-03-2014 at 09:50 AM.