The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 93

User Info Menu

My Goya LP copy I've had since 1968.

Everything else I have now I bought post 1997 or so as career, family and ex-wife made demands on my time :-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My 1976 Martin 000-28, I just dug out the receipt: I paid $490 for it brand new.

User Info Menu

That would be my 1965 ES-335TD (beautiful sunburst, gold knobs, trapeze tailpiece, narrower nut).
    I bought that, with case, for $325 back in the day, IIRC. Saved up my paper route money for a whole year, I did, upgrading from my red, single-cut Harmony Rocket (trapeze tailpiece) which was $75 in 1964—which I then sold to a student ten years later for... $75. (Darn!)
    Plus, I also still have my original 1964 Danelectro DM-25 "piggy-back" amp (12" Jensen, reverb and tremolo), also bought with my paper route money.
    Delivering the Long Island Press apparently served me very, very well!

User Info Menu

I had a 1935 Martin C-1 from the early 1980's until just a few months ago. From then on I was bitten by the vintage bug...

Guitar in your posession the longest?-g6002_200-jpg

User Info Menu

I still have my Brazilian Rosewood 1965 Guild D50 banjo killer. I bought it new and it was my one and only for many years. She's got a lot of miles on her now and they show (much like myself) but unlike me her voice, always remarkable, has only improved with age.

My playing has since gone in other directions but this one's a keeper.

User Info Menu

I had a 1962 Stratocaster....bought new..$180.00...case..strap..cord...picks...sold it in 2009....47 years...

Presently a 1977 Ibanez 2355 (ES-175)...36 years...

time on the old instrument...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ooglybong
    That would be my 1965 ES-335TD (beautiful sunburst, gold knobs, trapeze tailpiece, narrower nut).
    I bought that, with case, for $325 back in the day, IIRC. Saved up my paper route money for a whole year, I did, upgrading from my red, single-cut Harmony Rocket (trapeze tailpiece) which was $75 in 1964—which I then sold to a student ten years later for... $75. (Darn!)
    Plus, I also still have my original 1964 Danelectro DM-25 "piggy-back" amp (12" Jensen, reverb and tremolo), also bought with my paper route money.
    Delivering the Long Island Press apparently served me very, very well!
    Jeez, my first two good guitars were a 335 and Strat also bought from money earned delivering the long island press :-) You never know who will turn up in the world huh?

User Info Menu

A 1973 Stratocaster that my brother bought new when he got out of the army (still have the original hang tag, $439). He traded it to me a few years later for an early '80's telecaster and I've had it ever since.
    Attached Images Attached Images Guitar in your posession the longest?-imgp3759-jpg 

User Info Menu

Since the early '80s. I saved my money from a summer job as a janitor to buy it.
    Attached Images Attached Images Guitar in your posession the longest?-p1010336-jpg 

User Info Menu

My first guitar was a white squire bought in 1998, I still have it. It is now a fretless.

I started playing on my step mother's classical guitar, a guitar that apparently was bought for her by her parents in the 50s. I still have it. Boy is it beat up.

Simultaneously I also was playing a 1976 Gibson flat top that was my step dad's, I held on to that for a while but I actually recently gave it back to him - he is one of my guitar students now!

User Info Menu

A Framus jumbo received for Christmas when I was 17. It was my Red Ryder and I won't part with it.

User Info Menu

My 1936 Martin 000-18, which I've enjoyed for the last 42 years. My stepfather bought it used in 1938 for $25. In 1971, he was courting my Mom and gave me this guitar, thereby securing my approval of their union....

It's the best sounding acoustic I've ever had, but was hard to play. I just got it back from a neck re-set last week....wow! I'm happy!

User Info Menu

Hi,

My first guitar, a spanish classical guitar Cuenca 30 bought new in 1982 and stolen in 2004.

Guitar in your posession the longest?-cuenca-30-jpg

User Info Menu

December 25, 1964. The ubiquitous Sears Silvertone 3/4 scale, 1448 set manufactured by Danelectro. Dano musta made millions of these.

User Info Menu

72 Guild D40 - I've had her since she was brand new.

User Info Menu

1968 Gibson SG Standard that I bought in 1974 for around $300 if I recall correctly.

User Info Menu

42 year old Goya GG-10 classical I purchased new in Anchorage, AK in 1971 for $195 with a hard shell case. Two years ago I had to replace the tuners. Still looks and sounds great, getting some minor checking in the finish now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Jeez, my first two good guitars were a 335 and Strat also bought from money earned delivering the long island press :-) You never know who will turn up in the world huh?
    Ha! So where did you live? I was in Valley Stream.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ooglybong
    Ha! So where did you live? I was in Valley Stream.
    Valley Stream?... I used to practice my deep snow skidding in the mall parking lot on Southern Bl.

I lived in Ozone Park and had two routes for a couple of years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Valley Stream?... I used to practice my deep snow skidding in the mall parking lot on Southern Bl.
    I lived in Ozone Park and had two routes for a couple of years.
    Ha, again! Only about five miles apart! Small world indeed.
    Lawng Eyelan' rulz. (Actually, I have no accent, but whatever, right?!)

User Info Menu

I built this Andreas Martin pattern classical guitar in my early twenties - finished it around 1980, so that makes it 33 years old. Sitka spruce top, maple back and sides, mahogany neck, rosewood board. I built it at night school in Northampton, England, under the supervision of an equally young called Michael Gee. Michael is now one of the UK's most respected and successful luthiers, whilst I can just about play a scale of C major anywhere on the fretboard.

As the original finish was showing signs of thirty years of regular playing, I re-finished it a couple of years ago with a matt varnish - somewhat unusual for a classical guitar. But it still sounds great despite probably being past its prime.

Guitar in your posession the longest?-dsc_0001-jpg
    Last edited by newsense; 04-04-2013 at 03:09 PM.

User Info Menu

I still play my 1970/71 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty (fret less wonder low frets) that I bought in high school around 1983. Best $500. I've ever spent
    Last edited by Steve Z; 04-04-2013 at 09:55 PM.

User Info Menu

'64 Epiphone Sorrento......great little guitar.

Chip

User Info Menu

A Kent from around 1965.

Guitar in your posession the longest?-646005502_tp-jpg

User Info Menu

My Heritage H535, bought new in 2000 as a present to myself when I got my PhD.

My earlier guitars were sold to pay the bills (strat), or upgraded (got myself a proper handmade classical to replace a Takamine nylon stringer). The H535 was my main squeeze for a good eight years before other guitars started to come in. While I do not play it much anymore (I moved abroad several times and left it behind with my family), it still feels familiar like an old pair of slippers...
    I hope I can bring it here soon with the other guitars I left behind.