The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 93

User Info Menu

Huh, Guitars come and go so often. The one I've been keeping for longer is a mid '50s Neubauer. I' had it for about 10 years now... But it will go to the Netherlands the next month.

Next is an early-mid '50s Hoyer Solist I got about the same time (The one at the right) will go anytime soon too.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BEACHBUM
    72 Guild D40 - I've had her since she was brand new.
    That is a beautiful looking guitar. I'm imagining how it must ring in open tunings. I thought the flat-top GAS had gone away...

User Info Menu

I bought an '82 Ibanez AS200 new when I was 17 for $750 and still play it all the time. Had now idea what I was buying - just got lucky.

Since 1985 my 2M made in Switzerland probably during the 60's Guitar in your posession the longest?-dsc00189-jpgGuitar in your posession the longest?-dsc00190-jpg

User Info Menu

Mine is a Ventura V6 I bought for $35 in November 1971. It acquired a pickup around 1974, and a new bear-claw spruce top in 1991. Along the way I inlaid my initial in the peghead, and replaced the plastic heel cap with one of cherry wood that I carved out of a fallen limb. It has a rosewood trussrod cover with an "eye" knot in the middle, and now wears a nice pickup with an output jack on the lower treble jack. Gotoh tuners replace the originals. Oh, and over the years I found a Ventura fitted hard case. There's under $400 in it, not counting strings.

In its current incarnation, it sounds like a piano.

I don't seem to be able to post a pic, but it's not really very pretty.

User Info Menu

That would be my Gibson RD

My first nice guitar. It's a 1978 given to me for Christmas ... that year .. IIRC.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jangle Rainart
    Since 1985 my 2M made in Switzerland probably during the 60's.
    Wow, what is that guitar? I can't find anything about it on Google. What are the knobs/switches? Tone/vol for each pup and a master vol? Switches to select pups? 2 outputs - mono/stereo? That's unique.

Quote Originally Posted by ah.clem
    Wow, what is that guitar? I can't find anything about it on Google. What are the knobs/switches? Tone/vol for each pup and a master vol? Switches to select pups? 2 outputs - mono/stereo? That's unique.
    The additional controls are for the amp-in-a-case which I don't have.

User Info Menu

When you turn the crank it plays "When You Wish Upon A Star".

Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 02-12-2020 at 03:28 AM.

User Info Menu

My 1962 Strat, bought in a garbage bag for $100. No case. Found a Fender blonde case for $11.00. This all happened in 1973. I didn't need it, because I just bought a Les Paul after a-b'ing it with a Strat. The LP seemed more giggable then.

So when our new bassplayer needed cash to buy an SVT so he could gig with us, he parted with this old Strat. I didn't even see it and I said: "sure, I'll give you $100.00 for it. Bring it tomorrow". It turned out to be better than any guitar I had ever played or owned. I sold all my others then, including the LP, and gigged with the Strat exclusively.

It doesn't see much use now, and no one seems interested in purchasing it. Not at today's prices!!!!

User Info Menu

For me, I've got 3 arch tops since 1994. An L5CES, bought brand new in 1994, a Unity, custom built for me and completed in 1994 and a Golden Eagle, custom built for me and completed in 1994. Not really sure anymore which one I got first . . . as it was all pretty much around the same time frame.

When I took a 15 or so year hiatus from playing, back in the '80s . . I (foolishly) sold off my entire collection of vintage guitars that I started to collect in the mid '70s. The last one to go was my first ever owned guitar, a 1969 olympic white strat. I bought that in the early '70s. That would have been the guitar in my possission the longest if I didn't sell it. What a mistake!! Sometimes, you just don't realize the emotional attachment you have, or had with something . . . until you no longer have it. I'm now "almost" as emotionally attached to my 1994 Golden Eagle, as I was the the '69 Strat. But, the operative word there is "almost" Today, I'd buy it back at almost any price . . . but, it's probably still in Japan.

Hey . . . Gnappi and ooglybong . . . as soon as I shut down my computer, I'm on my way out to Freeport, LI to visit with Mike Barnette of Michaels Music. Great guy . . . great store!! Michaels Music Guitars and Vintage Guitars

User Info Menu

I got my JJ Electra when I was about 14, my parents bought it for me as a gift for passing my grade 8 guitar exam.

User Info Menu

'69 L-5CES I bought from Cintiolli's about 25 yrs ago.
    after thousands of gigs, still my #1, [though I had temporarily retired it for a few years when I was using my '64 L-5 which is now retired]

thanks Benny!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    That would be my Gibson RD

My first nice guitar. It's a 1978 given to me for Christmas ... that year .. IIRC.
    Cool. I used to have the Les Paul RD Artist model. Pretty but a very blinged-out guitar. Didn't actually sound or act much like a LP, though, with all that firepower onboard. Traded it years ago, but I wish I still had it....

Nowadays, I look back on your RD as being the more fitting model for housing the unique electronics somehow cuz it never really looked like it was trying to be, say, a Les Paul. Cool shape on your RD. Nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    Hey . . . Gnappi and ooglybong . . . as soon as I shut down my computer, I'm on my way out to Freeport, LI to visit with Mike Barnette of Michaels Music. Great guy . . . great store!! Michaels Music Guitars and Vintage Guitars
    Looks like a nice store (checking his eBay page for stock) with a nice range of stuff (i.e., not just the new stuff coming out).

Sorry, though, never heard of it. Since my grandparents passed away in the late '80s and the rest of my family moved upstate near me, I've had no pressing reason to visit Long Island again. My brother (now over in Vermont) and I keep threatening to take an overnight Road Trip tour down there sometime soon, see our old house in Valley Stream, head out to the Hamptons again (our ol' summer place), see what's left of things and marvel/get depressed at how things have certainly changed over the many years. Maybe THIS summer, I hope.

What I DO remember from the old days out in that area was a place called Gracin's Music on Sunrise Highway. I think it was between Rockville Ctr and Freeport, IIRC. A nice smaller place. Bought a few guitars and amps from Bernie and Pops (Gracin) back in the day, I did.

Enjoy your visit to Michaels, Patrick!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    '69 L-5CES I bought from Cintiolli's about 25 yrs ago.
    after thousands of gigs, still my #1, [though I had temporarily retired it for a few years when I was using my '64 L-5 which is now retired]

thanks Benny!
    I bought my 1994 L5CES from Benny, brand new back in 1994. I foolishly traded in a Guild Artist Award that I bought from him brand new a year or so befor I traded it back in to him for the L5CES. Cintioli's is still on Oxford Ave. . . . but, it's a very different store today, than it was back then.

User Info Menu

yeah Patrick,

Just getting in from a gig w/that old L-5, the thing is set up so great it about plays itself, makes my job a lot easier.

I got it around '87 or so. I remember when I told Benny I was looking for an old L-5 he said, "an old L-5?? you mean like this?" and he pulled it out from behind the counter. I asked how much and he says "how much you got?! just give me what you got on you" hah, only Benny!

a few minutes later it was in the back seat of my car driving back down Bridge St.

but I did go back in 1990 to buy a box of strings and saw two beautiful '89 and '90 blonde L-5CES hanging from the ceiling behind the counter. I bought the '89 which was used/mint for $1800, which was way, waaay cheap even then.
    literally when I got home w/the guitar there was a newsletter from Mandolin Brothers saying that Gibson was raising the price of carved top guitars 35% and to order a new blonde L-5 @ discount prices was gonna run 5K.

the next day I went back and bought the new '90 blonde for 2K.
    I didn't have them long, one of the few times I've ever bought guitars strictly as an investment.

thanks again Benny!

User Info Menu

Late 60's Gretsch 6120. Had it for about 6-7 years. (dig the socks)

Guitar in your posession the longest?-uploadfromtaptalk1365805974287-jpg

User Info Menu

any more info on this? My uncle has one with the speaker and is wondering what it’s worth
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jangle Rainart
    Since 1985 my 2M made in Switzerland probably during the 60's Guitar in your posession the longest?-dsc00189-jpgGuitar in your posession the longest?-dsc00190-jpg

User Info Menu

A 1960 japanese 'Coronet' branded guitar. They were distributed by a music store here in Australia (I think Allan's music). All plywood, bridge held on by phillips head screws! Painted 'binding' ... but most importantly, a "steel reinforced neck"

A dreadful instrument that is completely unplayable but it has plenty of sentimental value.

User Info Menu

I had to look at my database to answer the question.

I would not have guessed it. My "Inter-mark" Cipher kitsch guitar has the oldest ownership date. It was a gift in 1985 from a friend in school.

Listed are my 4 longest owned.

Ownership Date : Guitar

1985 : Inter-Mark Cipher
    1986: Gibson Les Paul Custom 1974 Model
    1987: Rickenbacker 4001 Bass 1975 Model
    1993: Gibson ES-135 1993 Model

Wizard of Odd: 1965 Inter-Mark Cipher Valor | Premier Guitar

Last edited by icr; 02-10-2020 at 07:43 PM.

User Info Menu

A 1977 Aria Pro II PE-190 Robert Conti that I purchase new from Bob in 77. Been over the east and gulf coasts as well has spending a stint in the UP of MI. All my earlier purchased guitars were sold to purchase new ones. In the early 70's due to my financial situation it was one in and one out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bmw2002
    A 1973 Stratocaster that my brother bought new when he got out of the army (still have the original hang tag, $439). He traded it to me a few years later for an early '80's telecaster and I've had it ever since.
    Awesome Stratocaster! Thanks for posting.

I just traded my brother a 90s Telecaster for his 1974 Olympic White Stratocaster. So that is at the other extreme from this thread, I have only had it a few weeks.

1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe

User Info Menu

Wow a 7 year old thread gets a new lease on life.

The guitar that I have had the longest is my Michael Thames classical. I traded a Levin classical plus some cash for it in 1986. It remains the finest classical guitar that I have ever played. I have not played it much in recent years and have in fact, neglected my classical playing. But I am sure that I will get a second wind in my advancing years and will once again tackle the works of Tarrega, Sor and Bach.

My other 14 guitars were all acquired after 2000.

User Info Menu

Cool thread. Must revive it. I still own my first guitar. My Dad gave me a Lyle Copy of an L5 in 1973. Plays great almost in mint condition. Played it today for a bit.

I don’t know if this counts but I have my Dad’s Barker he bought new in 1965 so it has been in family 55 years. I got it from dad in 1983. My own Barker I bought exactly on January 30th 1979. I was still 17 years old senior in high school drove to Chicago in a snow storm to buy. Yes I played it today too.