Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 63
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    18" acoustic...I've always wondered what an 18" Heritage acoustic would sound like if I ever found one...ev'thing I'd ever imagined and more. It's got some of the finest tightest wood grain I've ever had in a carved top...I 'spose that has a bit to do with the great tone.



















    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 04-04-2013 at 12:46 PM.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Pretty thing..

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    WOW!! Down right gorgeous. Please allow me to be the first to tell you what a mistake it would be for you to sell this gem. The are probably the most under valued high quality arch tops you'll ever come across.
    Patrick2 . . Heritage representative (now former)

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2 View Post
    WOW!! Down right gorgeous. Please allow me to be the first to tell you what a mistake it would be for you to sell this gem. The are probably the most under valued high quality arch tops you'll ever come across.
    don't I know it. every archtop I've owned from Heritage has been of very high quality...I've a sneeky suspicion this one may have to stay. the test will be how it handles TI 14's after a fresh setup...feels like 10 or 11 rounds on there now...don't know what the previous owner was thinkin!

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Oh yeah, now you really got it going. You've got one just like mine and that means you have one guitar of less than 50 made. Put on those 14s and the sound should come barreling out of that instrument. I changed the pickup on mine which improved the balance and tone quite a bit. I also practice mostly unamplified which helps me to get the best acoustic sound out of the guitar that I can. That way, when I add the pickup at a modest volume, I get the most I can from the guitar. Congrats on a great find. If you have any questions about the guitar or things you're not sure of, don't hesitate to contact me and I'll help you out.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    That looks great.

    Patrick - you'd probably know - is this essentially an acoustic Super Eagle wearing Gertsch clothing?

    2bornot2bop - Are you going to try it with TI Bebop roundwounds as well as Swing flatwounds?
    FWIW, I've tried my acoustic SE with phospor bronze, nickel roundwounds and nickel flatwounds, and prefer the acoustic sound with nickel roundwounds - too much brightness with the phosphor bronze, not enough brightness with the flatwounds.

    Next thing to try on my SE:
    Martin Monel roundwounds, which are new.
    I tried them on a Martin flattop at the NAMM show and they sounded pretty good.
    Monel guitar strings sort of disappeared from the market for a few years.
    Gibson made them for years, under the Mona-steel and the Gibson-Chet Atkins label, but seems to have discontinued them awhile back.
    I've used Rotosound Top Tapes (flatwound Monel) on electric archtops, and quite like them.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 04-03-2013 at 03:01 PM.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Beautiful photos as well. Congrats.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    Oh yeah, now you really got it going. You've got one just like mine and that means you have one guitar of less than 50 made. Put on those 14s and the sound should come barreling out of that instrument. I changed the pickup on mine which improved the balance and tone quite a bit. I also practice mostly unamplified which helps me to get the best acoustic sound out of the guitar that I can. That way, when I add the pickup at a modest volume, I get the most I can from the guitar. Congrats on a great find. If you have any questions about the guitar or things you're not sure of, don't hesitate to contact me and I'll help you out.
    Thanks HFC, I really appreciate the offer!

    I spent the day buffing her up and putting on TI 14's...what a difference piano wire makes!





    I was thinking of forwarding the pup to KA and having him work his magic along with a wiring harness, as was done to the black GE in my avatar...I may later, but after installing new strings the pup that sounded bright and on the brittle side y'day now sounds warm and quite enjoyable. I'm assuming since the guitar's a '96 model the pup is a Heritage #3. At any rate I can now relate to your passion for this guitar...it's the best sounding SE I've yet to own...it's very close to the SKB and is only edged out by that guitar on the low end.

    Acoustically, this archtop is a pure dream. Thanks all for the well wishes!









    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 04-04-2013 at 04:31 AM.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    [QUOTE=Hammertone;313711]That looks great.

    Patrick - you'd probably know - is this essentially an acoustic Super Eagle wearing Gertsch clothing?
    That's really hard for me to say for certain without holding it in my hands and taking a tape measure to it. So, I'll ask 2b if he can measure it up for us. Typically, a Super Eagle's dimensions are as follows;

    Heritage Super Eagle . . . 17-3/4" lower bout X 20-3/4" body length X 12-3/4" upper bout X 3" depth

    Gibson Super 400 . . . . . 18" lower bout X 21-1/2" body length X 13-1/4" upper bout X 3-1/2" depth

    I say typically, because for reasons unbeknowst to me, Heritage's greatest inconsistency is body dimensions. I have five Super Eagles. Three are 17-3/4 at the lower bout . . the other two ar 17-7/8" Two are 3-1/4" depth and two are 3". Body length is usually + or - 1/16". Upper bout is always pretty accurate at 12-3/4"

    (Now here's a little secret not too many people know . . and it's one of the main reasons, even more so than the 3" body depth, that the SE is not very uncomfortable to play. The upper bout width at 12-3/4" is "roughly" the same size as that of a Golden Eagle.)

    I would guess that the dimensions on this beautiful Gretch are 17-7/8 X 20-3/4 X 12-3/4 X 3-1/4. Also, the neck is a three piece on this Gretch. Unless spec'd otherwise, the SEs neck are always 5 piece. And, I don't care what anyone tells you . . there is a noticable difference in feel.

    2b . . . regarding your comments on a tighter grain top affecting the tone positively . . . there have been discussions on that going on for centuries. There is really no difinitive way to prove, or disprove that theory. The "grain lines per inch" as it's described and measured, is but one of many many things that affects the tone of a spruce sound board . . if it even does so at all. Some of the best arch tops I've ever heard, including my (formerly mine) Guild Benedetto JS Award are made from European Spruce . . . which probably has the widest grain (least "lines per inch") of all spruce woods. But, be that as it may, the top on that Gretch is stellar!!

    Speaking of spruce tops . . . I'm going to post two pictures (partial pictures) of a top on a fully accoustic . . (never had a pup and the pick guard was never coy out for a floater) . . Super Eagle that I'm currently negotiating for. Wait 'til you see the medular rays on this! I've never seen anything quite like it.
    Last edited by Patrick2; 04-09-2013 at 12:48 PM.
    Patrick2 . . Heritage representative (now former)

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Patrick2 . . Heritage representative (now former)

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Patrick2 . . Heritage representative (now former)

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    2B that's an excellent guitar - craftsmanship is impeccable.

    I've never heard of Heritage making guitars under the Gretsch name, what's the score?

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Wow, that's spectacular...

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    2bornot2bop - Are you going to try it with TI Bebop roundwounds as well as Swing flatwounds?
    Yes sir! I'm going to run her through the mill in search of a string that maximizes her acoustic properties. I strung her with TI GB14's (my fav flats) just to get a fresh set of strings on her so I could hear the pup in the best possible light.

    Thanks so much for the string recommendations! I'll be bending your ear over the next few months, as I've decided to keep this one...although I'm not crazy about the headstock or Gretsch hardware, where the rubber meets the road she's got it in spades to my inexperienced ears...of course I'm only judging by the 12 now Heritage carved tops I've owned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2 View Post
    That's really hard for me to say for certain without holding it in my hands and taking a tape measure to it. So, I'll ask 2b if he can measure it up for us. Typically, a Super Eagle's dimensions are as follows;

    Heritage Super Eagle . . . 17-3/4" lower bout X 20-3/4" body length X 12-3/4" upper bout X 3" depth

    Gibson Super 400 . . . . . 18" lower bout X 21-1/2" body length X 13-1/4" upper bout X 3-1/2" depth

    I say typically, because for reasons unbeknowst to me, Heritage's greatest inconsistency is body dimensions. I have five Super Eagles. Three are 17-3/4 at the lower bout . . the other two ar 17-7/8" Two are 3-1/4" depth and two are 3". Body length is usually + or - 1/16". Upper bout is always pretty accurate at 12-3/4"

    (Now here's a little secret not too many people know . . and it's one of the main reasons, even more so than the 3" body depth, that the SE is not very uncomfortable to play. The upper bout width at 12-3/4" is the same size as that of a Golden Eagle.)

    I would guess that the dimensions on this beautiful Gretch are 17-7/8 X 20-3/4 X 12-3/4 X 3-1/4. Also, the neck is a three piece on this Gretch. Unless spec'd otherwise, the SEs neck are always 5 piece. And, I don't care what anyone tells you . . there is a noticable difference in feel.

    2b . . . regarding your comments on a tighter grain top affecting the tone positively . . . there have been discussions on that going on for centuries. There is really no difinitive way to prove, or disprove that theory. The "grain lines per inch" as it's described and measured, is but one of many many things that affects the tone of a spruce sound board . . if it even does so at all. Some of the best arch tops I've ever heard, including my (formerly mine) Guild Benedetto JS Award are made from European Spruce . . . which probably has the widest grain (least "lines per inch") of all spruce woods. But, be that as it may, the top on that Gretch is stellar!!

    Speaking of spruce tops . . . I'm going to post two pictures (partial pictures) of a top on a fully accoustic . . (never had a pup and the pick guard was never coy out for a floater) . . Super Eagle that I'm currently negotiating for. Wait 'til you see the medular rays on this! I've never seen anything quite like it.
    I heard you in my ear y'day when she came in as the first thing I always do with a new SE or GE arrival is break out the tape measure...you taught me well. You were very close (as you usually are).

    Dimensions: 17-7/8" lower bout X 20-7/8" body length X 12-3/4" upper bout X 3" depth.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3625 View Post
    2B that's an excellent guitar - craftsmanship is impeccable.

    I've never heard of Heritage making guitars under the Gretsch name, what's the score?
    Thank you. Per Heritage, Gretsch contracted for 50 of these archtops. I've heard rumor that a few other models were produced as well, but unless it comes from Heritage it's just rumor.

    Thanks to all for the congrats!!!

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2 View Post
    Gorgeous acoustic P!

    I've seen that photo before...it was posted on either the AGF (acoustic guitar forum) or TGP...perhaps both. I recall marveling at the pic thinkin' the owner was one lucky son of a'!

    I'd like to see you snatch her UP!!! What's the shade? ASB???
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 04-03-2013 at 09:49 PM.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Yep . . . it's ASB. Check out the label . . .


    Patrick2 . . Heritage representative (now former)

  18. #17
    Oh my. A label of who's who for THE first SE acoustic from '89! Talk about rare. Nothing to negotiate. Buy it...you deserve it!!! If you decide against it l'me know...I'd buy it and sell the Gretsch.

  19. #18
    Long time lurker, first time poster. (Hi there.) This guitar brought me out of the woodwork!

    Absolutely stunning, and I love the tone that the seller got out of it in his video:



    Would love to get that kind of tone out of my Sweet 16! Maybe I need a Super Eagle.

  20. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernando Vidal View Post
    Long time lurker, first time poster. (Hi there.) This guitar brought me out of the woodwork!

    Would love to get that kind of tone out of my Sweet 16! Maybe I need a Super Eagle.
    Welcome out of the shadows! Thank you!

    I had a Sweet 16 with a single routed HB....I couldn't get there w/ it either. A SE will get u there.





    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 04-06-2013 at 12:42 PM.

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    I'm telling you, you can't beat that beauty with a stick.

  22. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    I had a Sweet 16 with a single routed HB....I couldn't get there w/ it either. A SE will get u there.
    My 16's got two inset HBs, so even less likely! Unfortunately, the SE's don't come up all that often. (Not that I'm in any hurry.) But I wonder if the other Eagles (Golden or Classic) get close to the SE sound.

    How does the Synchromatic sound completely unplugged?

  23. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernando Vidal View Post
    My 16's got two inset HBs, so even less likely! Unfortunately, the SE's don't come up all that often. (Not that I'm in any hurry.) But I wonder if the other Eagles (Golden or Classic) get close to the SE sound.

    How does the Synchromatic sound completely unplugged?
    The SE's don't appear that often. Which is why when 2 appeared for sell a month ago I couldn't resist buying them both.



    I've previously owned 4 GE's, each of which possessed similar qualities of an SE, short of the SE's low end response.

    The Gretsch performs like I'd anticipated an acoustic SE would. Everything HFC has previously said about his Heritage Gretsch is true with this guitar too. It's ridiculous one can get this level of performance and craftsmanship at this price. Is there little wonder I have a hard time saving up for an L5.

    Patrick suggested there should be a playing difference between an SE with a normal 5 piece neck and this one with a 3 piece neck. So far I'm not seeing it. In fact, the neck on this guitar is very close to my SKB...and sonically they're almost the same. Except for the neck, this archtop is an SE through and through.

    Since I'm keeping the Gretsch I've decided to ship the pup off to Kent Armstrong for an upgrade...strange as it sounds, I've discovered the only way I can keep a guitar is to upgrade it, thereby lessening or negating any potential profit by a potential sale.
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 04-06-2013 at 12:40 PM.

  24. #23
    btw Fernando, there's a gorgeous 2000 model GE in ASB finish on feebay the past few weeks. I was about to buy it when the Gretsch appeared days after the GE was posted.

    2000 Heritage Golden Eagle Archtop Electric Guitar | eBay








  25. #24
    Thanks for the link; I've seen that listing, but I just can't justify dropping 3k without moving something else first. (Believe me, I've thought about it!) I wish there was a place near me where I could try the various options, but that's not a reality. (SE vs GE; floater vs. inset.) So, I'll just keep trying them, one at a time, until I find the "one."

    Thing is, I really like the Sweet 16. Maybe I'll unload an amp and my Eastman 810 instead. Or maybe someone over at HOC would want to trade. (I lurk there, too.) Decisions, decisions....

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    I just want the case.
    Any of you want the guitar?

    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

  27. #26
    seems like that lefty SE's been there forever - what brand is the case?

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    Sweet!

    I think I played some Heritage made Gretsch guitars at the '94 Nashville NAMM ... don't remember any details, though.

    An acoustic SE is certainly on my wish list ......

    I'd love a Super 400 acoustic, too ... but they are so expensive

    A Triggs Stromberg would be nice, too



  29. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Sweet!

    I think I played some Heritage made Gretsch guitars at the '94 Nashville NAMM ... don't remember any details, though.

    An acoustic SE is certainly on my wish list ......

    I'd love a Super 400 acoustic, too ... but they are so expensive

    A Triggs Stromberg would be nice, too


    You played Heritage Gretsch at NAMM! How kewl is that!!!

    Yeah, I'd love to own both the archtops you mention too. It was quality and affordability that drove me to Heritage...A Super Eagle is within everyone's reach...a Sup 4 on the other hand.

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    seems like that lefty SE's been there forever - what brand is the case?
    That's a Mark Leaf case - custom made, no longer being made, I believe.
    Simply the best.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

  31. #30
    So that seller put a $1k premium on that listing for the case...I know it's a lefty, but no wonder its not sold in 6 months!

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    Greg; an update to your thread . . .

    I was with Jim Deurloo, (who as you know is one of the original founding owners of Heritage), last week. Thought you might like to know, Jim remembers the Gretch ghost build project well . . . and fondly. He said he's very proud of how those and the D'As turned out. However, you and HFC thought there might have been 50-ish of these Gretch Syncromatic arch tops built by Heritage. Jim says he believes it was 20 . . . but, he's sure it wasn't more than 24.
    Patrick2 . . Heritage representative (now former)

  33. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2 View Post
    Greg; an update to your thread . . .

    I was with Jim Deurloo, (who as you know is one of the original founding owners of Heritage), last week. Thought you might like to know, Jim remembers the Gretch ghost build project well . . . and fondly. He said he's very proud of how those and the D'As turned out. However, you and HFC thought there might have been 50-ish of these Gretch Syncromatic arch tops built by Heritage. Jim says he believes it was 20 . . . but, he's sure it wasn't more than 24.
    Wow, that's great to know. Thanks for that P!. Did you pick up the acoustic SE?

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    Wow, that's great to know. Thanks for that P!. Did you pick up the acoustic SE?
    It was not a "happy ending" . . . much to my dismay. I met this gentleman . . . and that is a very appropriate term, "gentleman" . . . at 8:30 AM on Monday morning in the lobby of a hotel in K'zoo. The guitar was not at all what I had been expecting, as it relates to its over all condition. I expected it to have some very minor "inclusions" if you will. But, the top was very dinged up. Some superficial . . . some not superficial. The fingerboard binding was split or splitting at 5 fret positions. The neck was slightly thinner profile than my personal perference . .. but, not so thin that I couldn't live with it. The color/shading and the wood was even more beautiful in person than in the photos. The neck needed a minor tweak . . . but, no roller coaster waves. A quarter turn of the truss rod nut would have achieved perfection. Its acoustical sound was very impressive. Not nearly equivalent to my 18" Unity . . . but, stellar none the less.

    I quickly assessed 50% of the marks on the top could be removed with a mildly agressive buffing. But, I knew the other 50% were there to stay. I had very mixed feeling on what I should do . . . because, we did shake hands over the phone. For me, that's kinda like . . . . . "my word is my bond". For a brief moment I actually thought I should just honor my agreement, count out the Franklins . . . take the guitar to Heritage and have them buff it out. But, that was just based upon my word to Rob and not on business prudence.

    I politely told Rob that I was very hesitant to pay the agreed upon amount . . . because I agreed upon that amount based upon a misinterpretation, or at the very least a misunderstanding of the guitar's condition. Please don't get me wrong here. I do NOT feel that I was misled by Rob. His personal character and honesty would not allow that to happen. He said quite cleary . . "this is no museum piece". It's just that his opinion of a guitar's overall condition, seems to be vastly different than my own. But still, I was ready to buy the guitar at a renegotiated price. However, Rob, being the gentleman that he is . . took the guitar from my hands, politely said to me . . . "I priced the guitar firm . . good day sir". He then put the guitar in its case . . . walked to his car and drove off. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about the whole matter.?.? The guitar was truly a winner. But, it would have been of the poorest condition of any guitar in my entire collection.

    Anyway, it opened the door for another "opportunity". More on that after a cigar and Bill O'Reilly.
    Last edited by Patrick2; 04-19-2013 at 08:05 PM.
    Patrick2 . . Heritage representative (now former)

  35. #34
    Bummer. It's tough buying any archtop sight unseen without tons of up close photos taken by a quality camera. Distant photos tell you absolutely nuthin. Hmmmm....a cliffhanger huh

  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    Bummer. It's tough buying any archtop sight unseen without tons of up close photos taken by a quality camera. Distant photos tell you absolutely nuthin. Hmmmm....a cliffhanger huh
    Well, not so much of a cliff hanger. If you remember that amazing spruce top that I ordered from Alaska for my 18" Unity . . . . . . I showed some pictures of it with a condition known as patch pocket. Not severe . . very minor. But, it's there none the less. Aaron wouldn't proceed unless I agree to have the top sunburst shaded to hide the patch pocket. I refused to do so and had the purveyor send new blanks for my 18" Unity. Well, I took the half carved top home with me as a conversation piece.

    On this past Monday, while I was with Jim Deurloo at the Heritage plant, I asked him if he could build me the Super Eagle of my dreams, utilizing this amazing piece of spruce. He said . . . "send it to me . . . let's see what I can do with it". It's pretty much the best piece of spruce tone wood I've ever seen.

    You'll see the patch pocket in the lower right bout. Just a short 1-1/2" dark line. It very well could get more pronounced as the carving continues. But, I'm going to have it finished in an OSB shading anyway.



    Last edited by Patrick2; 04-20-2013 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Didn't know my left from my right . . lolol
    Patrick2 . . Heritage representative (now former)

  37. #36
    Outstanding! Must be why you saved it. The shape appears wider than an SE. Is that because Heritage will have to trim some away to create an SE top from that piece? It'll be nice to finally see an SE in OSB...I've never seen one outside of the florentine SKB. And I assume you're going to leave it acoustic?

  38. #37

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    Outstanding! Must be why you saved it. The shape appears wider than an SE. Is that because Heritage will have to trim some away to create an SE top from that piece? It'll be nice to finally see an SE in OSB...I've never seen one outside of the florentine SKB. And I assume you're going to leave it acoustic?
    Good pick up on the width, Greg! The top, as you're seeing it measures just a tad over 18-1/2". It would have been gradually worked down to a dimension that would allow for an end measurement of 18" dead nuts on, after it was rabbited and fitted with the body binding. One of the reasons an 18" arch top is more expensive than a 17" . . is because the builder must order a matched set of blanks measuring at least 10" wide. When joined/glued together, the overall width dimension is 20". It's gradually worked down from there. Finding billets large enough to saw clean and pure 10" blanks from is difficult. The billet must be meticulously split with a wedge, so as not to ruin it or create/expose grain run out.

    Yep! It's going to be an all acoustic SE. If I can convince Hammertone to to extract his head from his butt . . (hi Stephen ) . . . and sell me one of his 1100 Rhythm Chiefs, I'll have Heritage make me two pick guards. One with the pup attached and one for purely acoustic. I'm just afraid that Hammertone will insist that if I want the pup . . I've got to buy that damned black leather chair. (I think I once saw Goldie Hawn sitting in that chair on "Laugh In", some 45 years ago. .. . or, was it Colonel Klink on "Stalag 17" ?????)

    Now, here's the possible twist . . . if Jim can salvage the top, he'll need to complete the carving. Doing so can . . . and probably will either expose more of the patch pocket . . . or eliminate some/most/all of it. If it's reduced or eliminated, I just might steal some thunder from "The Rose" . . and have it shaded in Rose Natural. If I do so, it'll be a leap of faith. Because "there is no doubt in my military mind" (there's another old phrase that'll bring back some memories for you) . . . that the now deceased "Floyd" shaded "The Rose". Patrick is now up in the finish department. Patrick is a personally trained disciple of Floyd's . . and he's pretty damned good . . . as you can see by the results of the newer guitars. But, "he ain't no Floyd". No one . . is or was Floyd. But, I've personally watched Patrick at work and he's good . . . so, if the spruce top warrants it, I'll give Patrick a shot at doing a Rose natural shading on it. I've got some other "niceities" in mind for it as well. But, I've first got to see if this piece of spruce can still be used in the build of a smaller 18" guitar. As I've stated before, the SE is considerably smaller, (except for the 18" lower bout width), than the Super 400. Aaron had already carved/dished this top quite a bit . . and it overall dimensions are exactly those of a Super 400. It may not be possible to alter the carve/dish to accommodate the different dimensions. But, we'll see . . . . . .
    Patrick2 . . Heritage representative (now former)

  39. #38

    User Info Menu

    @Patrick, could you explain what patch pocket is, and how it affects the guitar?

    Thanks

  40. #39

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by edh View Post
    @Patrick, could you explain what patch pocket is, and how it affects the guitar?

    Thanks
    It's been referred to as patch pocket and/or pitch pocket. More often than not, it's a patch of resin deep within the spruce tone wood. It's uncovered and revealed as the luthier planes pr carves the wood to proper dimensions. Sometimes it's very severe . . . sometimes it's nothing more than an aesthetic blemish. Here's an interesting article about it. You'll need to scroll down a bit to see it . . . but, the whole article is worht the read. The article was written about flat top guitars. But it would obviously relate the arch tops as well. Spruce tone wood . . . is spruce tone wood.

    Building the Top Plate of the Flattop Guitar
    Patrick2 . . Heritage representative (now former)

  41. #40

    User Info Menu

    Thanks patrick. Interesting article

  42. #41
    I've had a Heritage golden eagle for almost 20 years and given it a hell of a thrashing. I've just had a British made Charlie Christian pickup fitted and it has lifted the whole thing. looks good too. $4,000.00 aussie dollars well spent on a carved top,back and sides with some outrageous flame. It even sounds good.

  43. #42

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxjones View Post
    I've had a Heritage golden eagle for almost 20 years and given it a hell of a thrashing. I've just had a British made Charlie Christian pickup fitted and it has lifted the whole thing. looks good too. $4,000.00 aussie dollars well spent on a carved top,back and sides with some outrageous flame. It even sounds good.
    We'd love to see some photos of it.
    Patrick2 . . Heritage representative (now former)

  44. #43

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2 View Post
    ...[ ]... Yep! It's going to be an all acoustic SE. If I can convince Hammertone to to extract his head from his butt . . (hi Stephen ) . . . and sell me one of his 1100 Rhythm Chiefs, I'll have Heritage make me two pick guards. One with the pup attached and one for purely acoustic. I'm just afraid that Hammertone will insist that if I want the pup . . I've got to buy that damned black leather chair. (I think I once saw Goldie Hawn sitting in that chair on "Laugh In", some 45 years ago. .. . or, was it Colonel Klink on "Stalag 17" ?????) ...[ ]...
    Actually, it was the King of Spain, 84 years ago, but that's another story.
    I suspect we'll be doing an innovative trade....
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

  45. #44

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2 View Post
    Greg; an update to your thread . . .

    I was with Jim Deurloo, (who as you know is one of the original founding owners of Heritage), last week. Thought you might like to know, Jim remembers the Gretch ghost build project well . . . and fondly. He said he's very proud of how those and the D'As turned out. However, you and HFC thought there might have been 50-ish of these Gretch Syncromatic arch tops built by Heritage. Jim says he believes it was 20 . . . but, he's sure it wasn't more than 24.
    Now that's what I call some good news. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. Thanks Patrick for getting this info. it's very much appreciated.

  46. #45

    User Info Menu

    [QUOTE=Hammertone;319969]Actually, it was the King of Spain, 84 years ago, but that's another story.

    I suspect we'll be doing an innovative trade....
    If such an "innovative trade" involved sex . . . . and you were a "Stephenie" instead of a "Stephen" . . . that might be of interest to me. But, proceeding with such a deal would be predicated upon explicit photos, verifying with great detail that the name "Stephenie" was indeed attributable to the specific gender for which it was originally intended.

    That not withstanding, it should be a cash sale deal.
    Patrick2 . . Heritage representative (now former)

  47. #46

    User Info Menu

    If I was Stephanie, I'd just stay home and play with myself all day.
    (Apologies to the National Lampoon Encyclopedia of Humour - it's one of theirs.)
    Cash? Sure! Make me an offer.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

  48. #47

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2 View Post
    Greg; an update to your thread . . .

    I was with Jim Deurloo, (who as you know is one of the original founding owners of Heritage), last week. Thought you might like to know, Jim remembers the Gretch ghost build project well . . . and fondly. He said he's very proud of how those and the D'As turned out. However, you and HFC thought there might have been 50-ish of these Gretch Syncromatic arch tops built by Heritage. Jim says he believes it was 20 . . . but, he's sure it wasn't more than 24.
    I'm not a musician at all but hoping for some info. My father lived to be 97. He played rhythm guitar in a dance band in his 20s. Family and life took over and he didn't play. In his early 90s, he (best of recollection) ordered a Gibson Sunburst guitar. Delivery was delayed many times and dad finally accepted a Gretsch as substitute. He loved it and played often. I think he got it about 2001. My daughter was just married and my brother and I gave the guitar to my new son-in-law, who is excited about it. He is a CPA but is also lead guitar and vocalist in a band. There is a label we can see through the hole which has a s/n 92108-23 and signatures of Jim Duerloo and Bill Paige and others. Just curious if anyone knows anything about this instrument off the top of your head.
    Thank you. Raylan

  49. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Raylan View Post
    I'm not a musician at all but hoping for some info. My father lived to be 97. He played rhythm guitar in a dance band in his 20s. Family and life took over and he didn't play. In his early 90s, he (best of recollection) ordered a Gibson Sunburst guitar. Delivery was delayed many times and dad finally accepted a Gretsch as substitute. He loved it and played often. I think he got it about 2001. My daughter was just married and my brother and I gave the guitar to my new son-in-law, who is excited about it. He is a CPA but is also lead guitar and vocalist in a band. There is a label we can see through the hole which has a s/n 92108-23 and signatures of Jim Duerloo and Bill Paige and others. Just curious if anyone knows anything about this instrument off the top of your head.
    Thank you. Raylan
    Hi Raylan. More information would help. If you read Patrick's comments above only 24 or so Heritage Gretsch's were produced. Did your Gretsch look like this guitar?



    When I got pretty good I went on the road with a group - We starved - Wes Montgomery

  50. #49

    User Info Menu

    Thank you for the reply. Your photo looks similar but I don't remember details. My daughter is going to send photos which I will post (may be another day). My brother also thinks dad bought the guitar earlier, in the '94-'98 area, but, again, not sure. Attached is a poor photo of the label...same red border as in your photo. I will get a better label photo as well. Sorry for the large photo..couldn't resize it.
    Attached Images Attached Images Heritage Gretsch arrives...-img_0573-jpg 
    Last edited by Raylan; 07-10-2018 at 05:16 PM.

  51. #50

    User Info Menu

    Here are a few photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images Heritage Gretsch arrives...-img_0008-jpg Heritage Gretsch arrives...-img_0002-jpg Heritage Gretsch arrives...-img_0006-jpg Heritage Gretsch arrives...-img_0003-jpg 
    Last edited by Raylan; 07-10-2018 at 09:00 PM.