The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Hello, could someone help me with comparing these two pups? I know a lot of people prefer the 57 classics for jazz, but I haven't heard much about the Ibanez Super 58s. These pickups would be put into an Ibanez AFJ95. What I'm really wondering is whether or not it would be worth switching pickups. Any info would be greatly appreciated, cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My 2 cents:
    I had a pair of Super 58 in my semi-hollow Ibanez and swapped them for a pair of Damico PU's.
    I prefered the new ones for rock, blues and pop styles I use to play with my band; better bites, impact and precision especially playing with overdrive or distortion effects; however for classic clean jazz tones, while being there, differences are a bit more subtle.
    Hope this could help

User Info Menu

I owned Super 70's in an Ibanez L5. One of the best humbuckers I've owned. Pref'd the 70's to the '57's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I owned Super 70's in an Ibanez L5. One of the best humbuckers I've owned. Pref'd the 70's to the '57's.
    In your opinion.. what is the difference?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    In your opinion.. what is the difference?
    the 70's in that specific guitar produced classic old school jazz tone. Was it the archtop, the pups, or the combo? All I can say is it's the only archtop I wished I'd not sold...but I was new and still experimenting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Ibanez nomenclature is somewhat confusing. There is a Super 58 and there is a Super 58 Custom. One has Alnico magnets; the other Ceramic.

I could never figure out which is which.
    The Ibanez forum currently has detailed information on the new and old pickups.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Ibanez nomenclature is somewhat confusing. There is a Super 58 and there is a Super 58 Custom. One has Alnico magnets; the other Ceramic.

I could never figure out which is which.
    Ibanez has been confusing in using very close names (not rare at all in Japanese language) and in changing the S58customs magnets in between. Basically, from what i understand, old S58c were ceramic and newer ones are alnicoV, the traditional S58 are alnicoIII.

This thread is informative but everybody got a bit confused.

To my ears the S58c i have in my AF105 are really as good, just a bit brighter than my 1966 ES335 or the SD Seth Lover on my other Ibanez. With just a light EQing i managed to get really close to the old gibson.
    I thought i would swap them, and they stay ! Nothing you can't do with a moderate EQ, and i'm sure that just changing the pots and caps would yield even better results.

User Info Menu

I'll weigh in here.

I generally don't go for a guitar because it has a 58 this, 59 that, or other such sales gobbledygoop I buy for sound and practicality. Practicality generally means inexpensive for a grab guitar on a wall or in a stand.

Personally I think most of the lower tier Ibanez guitars need pups, and many of the owners on the Ibanez forum agree. I have an AS73 that DEFINITELY fits this category and an AF100 that I could live with its super 58's.

The AF100 sounds IMMENSELY better than the AS73 and I'll probably leave it as is since I really don't want to invest any more into it than I already have.

Regarding the OP's question, my AF100 has super 58's and my ES-137 custom has 57 classics. Granted they're not in the same body style but I wouldn't consider removing the pups from the ES while the AF certainly (IMO) could benefit from a Schaller, or Gibson pup in either or both locations.

For your AJF95 I think you would be pleased with other pups but I think if it were me I'd pick something different, maybe two brands. If you're not happy with the sound it pays to do whatever you need to do to get the guitar sounding better.

User Info Menu

I asked the Swedish distributor of Ibanez about the Super 58 Customs on the new AFJ95, AF155 etc. He confirmed that they use Alnico magnets, he wasn't sure which type, but guessed V

User Info Menu

The Ibanez "Lawsuit" L5 was a laminated L5 copy? I've heard they have great tone (see video).

User Info Menu

I've got an 83 AM205 with the Alnico III Super 58's that's the same guitar as the guy in these videos. Given all the variables judging tone from You Tube videos is always problematic but I would say that the sound he's getting is pretty close to my experience. Except, of course, he makes it sound a lot better than I do. I've got 57 Classics in my ES137 and love those as well but I guess I have to say that if I had to give one up I'd be keeping the 58's.

Last edited by BEACHBUM; 04-05-2013 at 02:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey Beach,
    Nice tone in the videos, but I mostly like the view from your place!

User Info Menu

Thanks. I've got a loft on the 3rd floor. It's pretty tiny but it's got it's benefits.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Which of the two sounds you like the most, the "A" or the "B"? And do you think that Classic 57 is the "A" or the "B"?
    Paul

User Info Menu

I prefer sample A over B:

Richer harmonics, more dynamic. My guess would be that A is the Classic 57.

User Info Menu

You are right!
    Pickup A is Gibson 57
    Finally I kept the super 58 for my ibanez

User Info Menu

Did you swept the pickups? What model of Ibanez is yours?

User Info Menu

Before switching pickups on any guitar, I would recommend playing around with the tone controls on both the guitar and the amplifier. For example if you find your present pickups are a bit too muddy sounding, a little bit of bass cut on the amplifier could do wonders.

The difference between various pickups is mostly in the frequency response which is easily adjusted with tone controls.

Some Ibanez pickups do not have the same dimensions as a Gibson. The Super 80 for example. Measure carefully!

User Info Menu

The 58 are bright in a good way. If you're looking for dark and fat, they're not it. However, if you want all your voices to speak clearly playing finger style, they're great.

User Info Menu

Just from experience most of these pickups are good. so are Seymour Duncan’s, and especially many Boutique offerings such as Bare Knuckles, Manluis, Sheptone,etc.

Lower windings in the 7k range for neck and 8k range for bridge seem to work best for me. Also look for mismatched coil windings. Classic 57 are the same on both coils. Can be a plus for some guitars like an ES -339.

My personal choice for my humbucker equipped guitars Gibson ES-339, Benedetto Bambino, Partscaster Tele Gib, etc are Manluis Landmark PAF’s regular wind neck, and Hot Rod 59 Bridge
    Also get them potted and 4 way wire for more possibilities and no squeal!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Avery Roberts
    Before switching pickups on any guitar, I would recommend playing around with the tone controls on both the guitar and the amplifier. For example if you find your present pickups are a bit too muddy sounding, a little bit of bass cut on the amplifier could do wonders.

The difference between various pickups is mostly in the frequency response which is easily adjusted with tone controls.

Some Ibanez pickups do not have the same dimensions as a Gibson. The Super 80 for example. Measure carefully!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Thank you for the welcome! I hope to be an intelligent, informative, useful and even an entertaining contributor to the knowledge base here at JazzGuitar.be