Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 47 of 47

User Info Menu

Who are your favorite luthiers?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Campellone. But I'm sure there's lots of excellent ones out there.
    I would love to be able to sample many.

User Info Menu

mine is a long list, but near the top are...Benedetto, Sakashta, Ribbecke, Palen, Megas, Grimes, Manzer, Comins,

User Info Menu

Joe Striebel from Germany

Home

User Info Menu

Roger Borys.

User Info Menu

Ric McCurdy

Top Custom Luthiers! Your Time To Put Your FAVORITES!-mccordymonderna18-jpeg
    Last edited by docbop; 03-01-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

Shelley D. Park in Vancouver for all things Gypsy... astounding volume and projection, top drawer fit and finish.
    Shelley D. Park :: Gypsy Jazz Guitar Luthier in the Style of Selmer Maccaferri
    How many brushes should an artist have?

User Info Menu

My vote goes for Ryan Thorell. The Fv studio model he built for me is impecable

User Info Menu

Isn't it great that this could easily have 100 different reasonable answers? More superb independent luthiers that ever in many countries.

Consider the fantastic work of local forum guys Dave Stewart and Jason Combs.

Chris

User Info Menu

Benedetto, Montelleone, Buscarino.

Beauregard and Greenfield in Canada also look to be incredible, but I have never played them.

User Info Menu

this thread is a wasted opportunity without pics!

User Info Menu

After first seeing his work on the forum, I'm thisclose to ordering a guitar from Victor Baker, but I'm also fascinated by some of the work being done by Otto D'Ambrosio in Rhode Island and Joe Veillette in Woodstock, NY.

User Info Menu

Nelson Palen

User Info Menu

Find your voice, and tell a story!

Circle 'Round the Sun

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    this thread is a wasted opportunity without pics!
    This thread reminds me of what I might find from the teeny boppers over on TGP . . . "What is your favorate color strat?" Who was better, Jimi or SRV?" "What's your favorite Led Zep song?" "Why won't my amp play when I lose power in my home?" "What type of paint brush and brush bristles should I use when I refin my MIM strat?"

Apologies . . . I really in a shitty mood this morning. I'm gonna go kick the dog . . . twice . . . . and beat up on my grand children. Maybe I'll feel better.
    Patrick2 . . Heritage representative (now former)

User Info Menu

I was very happy with Steve Holst's work. Truly a 'custom' builder if there ever was one!

I have also corresponded with John Buscarino about a potential mod to one of my guitars (Buscarino jazzcaster), confirming specs, and getting a custom pickup - he was very responsive and knowledgeable. He's a class act for sure.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Patrick2;301594 I really in a shitty mood this morning. I'm gonna go kick the dog . . . twice . . . . and beat up on my grand children. Maybe I'll feel better.[/QUOTE]

hang in there brother! one hour at a time...it will change.

then this thread is not for you and could do without your post. In addition no one cares about your mood, and speaking of "teeny boopers"..... And please for the sake of your children and grandchildren don't beat up on them, don't care if it was a figure of speech, not acceptable...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2 View Post
    "Why won't my amp play when I lose power in my home?"
    Yup... I've always wondered about that one myself LOL! But you've gotta be good to the young ones, they may someday pick out your nursing home.
    How many brushes should an artist have?

User Info Menu

Mark Campellone,Brad Nickerson, Roger Borys ,Jim Triggs and the late Jimmy D'Aquisto. Not in that particular order. Not just great luthiers but really nice people.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Inca Silver. Jimi, of course. Don't like Led Zep. Because it is not battery-powered. Hog bristles Made in China. Please don't kick the dog; do kick the cat. Children need a slap now and then to teach them some manners; never did hurt me; ain't gonna kill them.

Roger Borys. Daniel Slaman. I happen to own a Borys B120 and a Slaman 1923 Gibson Lloyd Loar L5 clone. But they (the luthiers) have absolutely nothing to do with my troglodyte views.
    Well Jabber, you're wrong . . . as usual!! Olympic white; SRV . . because Jimi was very one dimensional; Nobody doesn't like The Zep; Horse hair bristles made in USA; if I tried to kick the dog, he'd eat my foot; if I had a cat I'd shoot it, not kick it.

Regarding my four grand children . . . I do still regularly beat my two youngest. Two boys, both are my son's kids . .. 13 & 12 years old. I can still get them . . . unless I try to beat up on them together. Then, it's me who takes the ass-whuppin'.

My daughter's two; the oldest is a beautiful young lady of 20 years old. She's my princess!! Born at just 2.2 lbs . . . remained in the intensive care unit of the hospital for 10 weeks . . then came home at just 4.5 lbs. Apnea moniter went off and she was blue. I administered CPR and brought her back. EMS guys said I saved her life. There's a very special bond there now. Couldn't possibly beat up on her. Her brother is now 17 years old, 2" taller than me and a real jock. The only way I could beat up on him would be if he allowed me to.

So, it's pretty much the two young'uns . . . and sometimes my wife. I can pretty much still kick her ass . . . if I sneak up behind her and get off the first few shots before she realizes what hit her. I don't dare try to take her on face to face. I may be crazy . . . but, I ain't stupid!!

Now, if you'll excuse me . . I gotta go get my dictionary and find out what the f*** a "troglodyte" is.

(Hi jazzblaster . . . . . )
    Patrick2 . . Heritage representative (now former)

User Info Menu

>>> find out what the f*** a "troglodyte" is.

Funny that this word came up talking with my wife yesterday. She did not know the word in English, but it is funnier in Dutch anyway:

Holbewoner - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

I'm not really experienced in great luthiers because I'm quite young, but I really admire Nico Moffa's work.
    He's really gaining attention and he's a great person.

Another great to my eyes and maybe the best (for me) right now is John Monteleone.

Oh yes, and Mr. Greenfield.
    Last edited by disco~juice; 03-05-2013 at 12:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kamlapati View Post

This picture would be super bad with a cigar right next to the bubbles.

User Info Menu

Bryant Trenier can produce perhaps the best D'Aquisto sounding guitar for 7k and gets my top pick for current builders under 10k. I've had D' Aquisto, DAngelico, Benedetto, Campellone, Buscarino, Triggs, Grimes and Monteleone. John Monteleone is in another stratosphere and his instruments are just incredible pcs of musical art.

User Info Menu

Lately, I have been drooling for a Marchione Semi-Hollow... So I'd list that.

Top Custom Luthiers! Your Time To Put Your FAVORITES!-532311_10151620214925180_1115762625_n-jpg

User Info Menu

My vote goes to Ryan Thorell. I've had the pleasure of playing my teacher's Frank Vignola model and it is far and away the nicest instrument I've ever played.

User Info Menu

Heard Frank and Vinnie last spring live. The Thorell sig model sounds amazing in Frank's hands. Reasonably-priced too!
    formerly posting as Four2theBar

User Info Menu

I did get to play Frank's this spring for a few minutes, the guitar sounds HUGE for being somewhat on the small side for an archtop. Ryan is a top notch guy as well, I'm hoping to have one of his guitars someday.

User Info Menu

Mr. Jim Soloway of course. - This is a build that Jim just completed for myself.

M365 -Redwood / Swamp Ash Gosling Single 15" Hollow Body, Finger-style

FEATURES:

25.5" Scale length --- Finger-style string spacing (1 13/16" at nut; 2 3/16” at bridge)
    Full Hollow Single 15" shape with small bridge block
    Figured redwood top - Hollowed swamp ash back
    Maple neck - 59 Roundback profile - Indian Rosewood fingerboard - Gunstock Oil and Wax finish on the neck
    Vintage burst finish /Black hardware/ Rosewood truss rod cover with inlaid logo
    DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF pickups / Master volume and tone controls (with push pull pot on tone to split pickups)
    Weight = 6 lbs. 5 oz.
    Attached Images Attached Images Top Custom Luthiers! Your Time To Put Your FAVORITES!-m365fullfront-jpg Top Custom Luthiers! Your Time To Put Your FAVORITES!-m365top-jpg Top Custom Luthiers! Your Time To Put Your FAVORITES!-m365soundhole-jpg Top Custom Luthiers! Your Time To Put Your FAVORITES!-m365neckjoint-jpg Top Custom Luthiers! Your Time To Put Your FAVORITES!-m365knobs-jpg Top Custom Luthiers! Your Time To Put Your FAVORITES!-m365back-jpg Top Custom Luthiers! Your Time To Put Your FAVORITES!-m365peghead-jpg 
    Last edited by Wildcat; 07-25-2013 at 09:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Unsung-Roger Borys!

User Info Menu

Bryant Trenier X 2

Top Custom Luthiers! Your Time To Put Your FAVORITES!-image-jpg
    formerly posting as Four2theBar

User Info Menu

If I won a bit on the lottery, I'd go for something by Jason Combs

The Professional

or Victor Baker

http://www.victorbakerguitars.com/in...#/fgallery/21/

or even better, if I won a lot on the lottery, then both. Gotta support these guys, y'know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2 View Post
    "Why won't my amp play when I lose power in my home?"
    Mine still plays just fine. http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/900

User Info Menu

I've have some VZ Customs built by Bud Veazey of Lawrenceville, GA. He's worked on just about every guitar I have (or have had). Mostly Tele-style builds...he's always got something in the shop; builds to spec as well. Great attention to detail and he'll keep doin' stuff to it until it's just right for me. I don't have pictures here, but "VZ Custom" on Bookface has lot's of pictures. There's one of a Thinline-style with a natural finish, curly maple top and back/ash sides, maple neck, a Seth(n) and a Duncan B-caster(b)...that's one of 'em.
    Bud is a great guy!

User Info Menu

Here's a picture...iffin' yer interested.
    Top Custom Luthiers! Your Time To Put Your FAVORITES!-vz-custom-2-jpg

User Info Menu

I have a number of custom instruments that I have had commissioned by luthiers for me. Since this is a jazz oriented forum, I will focus on Archtop luthiers. We are fortunate to live in a day where there are more skilled Archtop luthiers than ever. When I chose to have an instrument commissioned about 1-1/2 years ago, I did a bit of Internet research, spoke with some players that I respect and some very experienced retailers to create a short list of luthiers to speak with. Some were master craftsman, but where not great communicators or didn't ask questions about me, my playing or my instrument goals.

After speaking with a number of them and looking carefully at there work, it was clear that I wanted to work with Bill Comins (Philadelphia, PA). Besides being an experienced, master luthier; Bill was a great jazz guitarist, which provides him with design insights that many luthiers may not have. Communication was excellent from specification process, wood selection through delivery. I have had the piece for only a few months now, but I can say without equivocation it is the finest Archtop that I have ever played in terms of tone, feel and craftsmanship.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 07-25-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Bob

User Info Menu

Bill Comins is a very good Luthier for the reasons you noted and you made a very wise choice with your build. I purchased one of his guitar craft series for doing electric stuff and it was set up perfectly.
    Last edited by QAman; 07-26-2013 at 07:05 PM.

User Info Menu

A Moffa Lorraine is my dream guitar. I'll own one eventually!

Nico Moffa builds sweet guitars.

User Info Menu

I drool over lots of different guitars, but I have personal experience -- and satisfaction -- with Forshage, CB Hill, Rob Engel, and Ralph Novak (Novax Guitars).

Wildcat: Love that redwood Soloway!!

User Info Menu

Sound Clip

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    Mr. Jim Soloway of course. - This is a build that Jim just completed for myself.

M365 -Redwood / Swamp Ash Gosling Single 15" Hollow Body, Finger-style

FEATURES:

25.5" Scale length --- Finger-style string spacing (1 13/16" at nut; 2 3/16” at bridge)
    Full Hollow Single 15" shape with small bridge block
    Figured redwood top - Hollowed swamp ash back
    Maple neck - 59 Roundback profile - Indian Rosewood fingerboard - Gunstock Oil and Wax finish on the neck
    Vintage burst finish /Black hardware/ Rosewood truss rod cover with inlaid logo
    DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF pickups / Master volume and tone controls (with push pull pot on tone to split pickups)
    Weight = 6 lbs. 5 oz.
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

I'll have to go with Elias Graves!

User Info Menu

I have a small hollow body from CP Thornton. It is very well made. Mine was in his first run and is the only one with two pickups. For details on how he thinks about guitar building, you should visit his website. http://www.cpthorntonguitars.com/

Top Custom Luthiers! Your Time To Put Your FAVORITES!-21-jpgTop Custom Luthiers! Your Time To Put Your FAVORITES!-20-jpgTop Custom Luthiers! Your Time To Put Your FAVORITES!-17-jpgTop Custom Luthiers! Your Time To Put Your FAVORITES!-11-jpgTop Custom Luthiers! Your Time To Put Your FAVORITES!-8-jpg
    MG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teleman3726 View Post
    Campellone. But I'm sure there's lots of excellent ones out there.
    I would love to be able to sample many.
    I dig the look of Campellone's. But what's up with their resale value??? I've seen the same Camp's listed for sale for over 6 months, some at real good buys, and still no buyers.
    "You've got to be in the sun to feel the sun. It's that way with music too." - Sidney Bechet

User Info Menu

Bryant Trenier just received high acclaim from John Monteleone at the 2013 Woodstock Luthiers showcase, and Rudy Pensa , from Rudy's music wants Bryant's guitars in his SoHo store. For anyone looking for a guitar that resembles and sounds like a real D'Aquisto, look no further. Bryant constructs and carves his guitars just like Jimmy D'Aquisto, and the tone is just incredible. Get one now before the price doubles.

User Info Menu

It's great to see Bryant getting props from some of the local heavy hitters. He certainly deserves all that and more. He's on his way to be being a lot better known. When I was in NYC a month ago I played a couple of original D'Aquisto's on a Friday, then some of Trenier's on Saturday. Yeah, he really has the touch, they are astounding guitars.
    Find your voice, and tell a story!

Circle 'Round the Sun

User Info Menu

Wout Bosma is a great Dutch archtop luthier. I tried his D'Angelico New Yorker copy, and it played and looked every bit as good as the ones D'Angelico made. If I had some money, I would ask Wout Bosma to make me one. I have a Gibson Johnny Smith from 1966 similar to D'Angelico, but I find those D'Angelicos made by Wout Bosma to be superior to my Johnny Smith. He can build almost any type of guitar at any price range, including steel string guitars, classical guitars or a boutique arch top guitars.

Welcome at Bosma Guitars