The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Do you use roundwound or flatwound strings?

Voters
640. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flatwound

363 56.72%
  • Roundwound

257 40.16%
  • I'm a trombonist

20 3.13%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 211

User Info Menu

I'm intrigued to see how many people use flatwounds, because now jazz guitarists tend to use roundwounds if they want a modern tone.
    I'm not saying one is better than the other, and I don't care, just want to make the poll and see what's is more used by the forum users
    Also, if you use 7 string guitar, please say it (I want to know that too!)

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I do not care about "moderne tone" and use flatwounds on my arch-top.Simply I like these strings.

User Info Menu

Flatwound on electric, roundwound on acoustic.

User Info Menu

Depends on the guitar. Flatwounds on all of my electric jazzboxes, but Phosphor Bronze Roundwounds on my acoustic archtop.

User Info Menu

Mostly flats for jazz, rounds for accoustic and rock.

User Info Menu

Half-rounds on both arch-tops.

User Info Menu

polished rounds (similar to half rounds) - fairly bright but less squeak than rounds

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C View Post
    polished rounds (similar to half rounds) - fairly bright but less squeak than rounds
    Good to know, i'm considering half rounds, i never tried.
    No "half round" option in the poll, uh ...

Sorry, it doesn't let me add the option now.

User Info Menu

Roundwound. Although I like the sound of flats, I always found the wound strings to be out of balance with the plain E and B. The plain strings are brighter than the wound ones.

User Info Menu

I prefer the sound of roundwounds and tend to use them, but do have flatwounds from time to time and the lack of string squeak can be addicting.

User Info Menu

Haha, I am a Trombonist, but also do use roundwound strings. I used to use flatwounds, but after a while, I thought they sounded a little too dead for my taste. I always prefer acoustic over electric (flattop and archtop), but play electric regularly, probably perform more on electric. I think roundwound strings get me closer to an acoustic tone on my electric guitars, which I like.

User Info Menu

Roundwound. I have used flats from time to time. Never really liked them and felt guilty because I was supposed to. But I never liked the feel or the sound.

User Info Menu

I tried my first set of flats a month or so back and really like them. I might even try a set on a 60's gibson heritage dreadnougt I have

Flatwounds 12s on my jazzbox and simi-hollow; roundwound 11s on solid body. Acoustic has phosphor bronze 11s with a plane 18 for my 3rd string. Don't like my 3rd string wounded on acoustic. Plus I like to bend that 3rd string sometimes.

User Info Menu

I like pro steel roundwounds, I used to use flats but I was never totally happy with them.

User Info Menu

hate the dead sound of flats
    rounds 100% of the time for me. I like a little sparkle to my sound that flats don't have.

I love the feel of flatwounds (except for bending), but prefer the sound of roundwounds. Yes, I use 7 strings :P

By the way, we have two trombonists, we can already make a big band

User Info Menu

Solid top floating PU wasn't getting me exactly what I wanted with flats so switched to rounds. Markley Blue Steels with wound G, now a happy camper...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
    Roundwound. I have used flats from time to time. Never really liked them and felt guilty because I was supposed to. But I never liked the feel or the sound.
    Guilty, yeah. You should be ashamed of yerself, Henry!
    Last edited by ooglybong; 02-01-2013 at 03:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Flatwounds on my archtops.
    Rounds on my rock/fusion guitars.
    Half-Rounds on my 335.
    High-tension nylon strings on my classicals.

User Info Menu

Rounds if I want a brighter sound and want to do some bending. Flats for more mellow stuff and easier on my fingers.

User Info Menu

I've never really done much bending, and I've always preferred the feeling of flats. I just don't get why people say they
    sound "dead".
    Last edited by =DK=; 02-02-2013 at 05:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Keep it flat and thick for that smooth, mellow, full chordal melody sound.

Keep it round and thin for that defiant, loud, crunchy, squealing rock and blues-rock sound.

User Info Menu

Flatwound 12s for straight ahead stuff

Flatwound 11 E, A & D plus plain G, B E for 335/ bending- not dead-sounding if the eq is right, IMO, and reasonable ''jazz'' sound.

Not quite sure what's 'modern' about rounds...they were available in the 60s....anyway, whatever works for you.