The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Do you use roundwound or flatwound strings?

Voters
649. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flatwound

370 57.01%
  • Roundwound

258 39.75%
  • I'm a trombonist

21 3.24%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 220

User Info Menu

The 3rd choice rules out players who use both flats and rounds depending on the circumstances. Both sound great!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Both ! But if I had to stay with only one guitar I would like to stay with rounwound

User Info Menu

For the longest time I liked Gibson "L5" strings on my archtop. Sadly, the don't seem to be made anymore. I haven't really found anything that sounds as good.

User Info Menu

TI flats. I'm a professional violinist so they feel more natural to me. I liked the sound of TI bebops but couldn't be bothered changing my technique to reduce squeak.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin Moody
    I discovered that the awful music store in downtown Stavanger(20 minutes drive) from which I bought my faulty Starcaster has TI strings. Worth giving it a shot?
    Oh, I spent a few hours there once, on a trip around Scandinavia. Pretty place. So, no love for jazz in Norway? Such a pity. Seeing all the good work that Morten Faerestand is doing online, one might be inclined to think of Norway as some kind of jazz fairy land.

User Info Menu

Given the incredible amount of great contemporary jazz musicians in Norway, there must be plenty of lve for jazz in Norway. Perceived half of the ECM and ACT label artists are from Norway. Only they don't seem to be the ones who use flatwounds.

IMHO Thomastiks are definitely worth a shot.

User Info Menu

I just did the poll (flats for me), but the most shocking revelation was the discovery that there are 9 trombonists on this forum.

We need to hunt them down, and take the appropriate action.

User Info Menu

Roundwounds. Kurt Mangan pure nickel wrap, 9.5 thru 44. I'll leave strings on for impossible amounts of time, When they no longer intone correctly, I change, and pure nickel is low on scale of brightness, so they sound dead enough.

User Info Menu

Do you use roundwound or flat wound strings - yes, both.

User Info Menu

I finally decided that the 9.5 though 44 were a tad light, now that I've gotten so warmed up lately, and decided to man up, and put the 10's back on. Very nice. They are the D'Addario nickel plated steel(though I'd rather pure nickel, no biggie), and the feel is great,,especially to my 3 main fingers. I think it was my little finger doing the hollering, for the most part, but the general stability is there now, tuning wise, and I'm happy with the feel. Chords, intonation, all good to go. On a 25.5 inch scale, this would likely feel very much like 11's on a 24.75 inch scale. Doubt I'd go higher, cuz I_do_ like to bend a bit, once in a while,,,but the real fun part of the story is getting them back in/on on a back of body loading guitar, like a Telecaster. (Reverend Slingshot) I've gotten pretty good at it, actually,,just takes patience,,did it in about an hour. LOL These are FAR from worn out,,,I can just switch a good bit, and normally takes about a third that time to change strings, if new. Think I'll leave these on for a while. I have 4 more sets of this gauge,,,,,

PS, in the 80's I tried some flat wound strings, but just couldn't warm to them, though I see the benefits. I'm so used to round wound, and they're easy and cheap compared to some of the other better offerings. I_do_remember some oddness around the 12th fret on the low E string. May be just my experience, and ears. Would have been on an Ibanez Stratocaster style, and maybe, later on my Ibanez G100, I think it was, arch top. Pre Art Core series,,,was about $800 in 1984 or so.
    Last edited by guitarbard; 04-08-2016 at 04:39 PM. Reason: addition to post

User Info Menu

I just tried flatwound strings for the first time. For myself, I did not like them at all. It was the sound that I did not like. Too lifeless and dull for my taste. So I went back to my standard - D'Addario EXL115W. Now my Gretsch sounds like a Gretsch again. This education cost me $30.

User Info Menu

I have Thomastik jazz flats on 1-4, Labella roller wounds on 5, 6 and a D'Addario round on the 7.
    That's this week. I'm always changing them around.
    I play finger style and I'm really aware of what lets me bring out an acoustic sound without being too bright when played with fingers.
    They age, I get dissatisfied and I change them in search for what inspires me.
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbard
    Roundwounds. Kurt Mangan pure nickel wrap, 9.5 thru 44. I'll leave strings on for impossible amounts of time, When they no longer intone correctly, I change, and pure nickel is low on scale of brightness, so they sound dead enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyC
    I just tried flatwound strings for the first time. For myself, I did not like them at all. It was the sound that I did not like. Too lifeless and dull for my taste. So I went back to my standard - D'Addario EXL115W. Now my Gretsch sounds like a Gretsch again. This education cost me $30.
    Some months ago I changed from 10s, or 11s on Tele to D'Addario 9s, the cheapest standard set, so my kid could fool around (in the meantime changed preference to hollow box).
    Couple of weeks ago, hi E went out of tune completely. It happened overnight, making me expect it would snap in no time, which it did last week, in a way that it unwound it self from the ball. I tried repairing it, but twist would not hold. Sp, I searched the premises and found an "No Label" set, back from god only knows when, fresh unopened, except hi E was missing. I put B as a replacement for E. Intonates perfectly, all the way.

Couple of days ago, D string snapped close to the bridge. I repaired it successfully (as per method described in my clip on YT, links to channel in signature). Intonates very well, like perfect at 12, with some off shots here and there.

All this time, B is acceptable in up to 5th, bearable till 8th and completely whacked (low) further. So, I replace it with G from "No Label" set. Intonates 100% all the way.

All intonation remarks according to digital tuner, of course. I still hear it all as being off.

So, this education cost me and you nothing.

User Info Menu

I had a D'Addario 9 E string unwrap itself from the ball like that. Only time I've ever had the problem. Good thing I had several Ernie Ball Super Slinky sets of the same gauge, where I could pirate a 9 off of one them. I have the EXL110 10's on now,,much nicer, tho I'm looking forward to getting some pure nickel wrap in this gauge,,round wound. Been playing those too long to change. The GHS oval wrap (aka Nickel Rockers) are real nice for the feel, and reduced string noise, but the oval wrap dictates using a larger core which results in higher tension per gauge than with regular round wounds.
    Maybe use a 9 set of bottoms, and a 10, 13, 17 on top,,,or even a 16,,,10 and 13 are nice, though. My guitar is a 25.5 inch scale, too. Is good to take scale length into consideration. The old Fender XL150 is a nice set, and the ball color code makes me suspicious of an unmentioned maker,,not that I care,,,,,they are inexpensive, and pure nickel. These are getting more expensive, lately.

User Info Menu

Roundwounds. I've played a few guitars over the years with flatwounds, and used to have a Schecter Jazz 7, that the previous owner put flatwounds on, and in all cases I didn't like the playing feel, or the way they sounded (a little bit too thuddy to me). As it is, I couldn't use flatwounds if I wanted to, due to a severe nickel allergy, and a major chromium allergy (chromium is a major component of stainless steel, and of course is used in chrome), that in the past, has given me mega dermatitis. As a result, not only do I have to have any guitars I buy re-fretted with Jescar EVO Gold hypoallergenic fret wire, I'm also severely limited for what I can use for electric guitar strings.

Out of about 250+ different product lines for electric guitar strings, I've only found two of them that meet my requirements (being nickel, and chromium free): Rotosound British Steel; and Ernie Ball Cobalts. I verified via e-mail to Rotosound and Ernie Ball, that both of these string lines meet my requirements. I use Ernie Ball Cobalts, due to them being available in more gauges/sizes than Rotosound British Steels, and also, while they come with a plain 3rd/G string, I can get packs of 5, wound Cobalt strings in the right gauge/size to have wound Cobalt G/3rd strings in my Cobalt sets (I've been using wound Gs for about 30 years on electric guitars - IMO they last longer, sound better, and feel better playing-wise to me). I use 12s for 24.75" scale guitars, and 11s for 25 1/2" scale guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl
    Roundwounds. I've played a few guitars over the years with flatwounds, and used to have a Schecter Jazz 7, that the previous owner put flatwounds on, and in all cases I didn't like the playing feel, or the way they sounded (a little bit too thuddy to me). As it is, I couldn't use flatwounds if I wanted to, due to a severe nickel allergy, and a major chromium allergy (chromium is a major component of stainless steel, and of course is used in chrome), that in the past, has given me mega dermatitis. As a result, not only do I have to have any guitars I buy re-fretted with Jescar EVO Gold hypoallergenic fret wire, I'm also severely limited for what I can use for electric guitar strings.

Out of about 250+ different product lines for electric guitar strings, I've only found two of them that meet my requirements (being nickel, and chromium free): Rotosound British Steel; and Ernie Ball Cobalts. I verified via e-mail to Rotosound and Ernie Ball, that both of these string lines meet my requirements. I use Ernie Ball Cobalts, due to them being available in more gauges/sizes than Rotosound British Steels, and also, while they come with a plain 3rd/G string, I can get packs of 5, wound Cobalt strings in the right gauge/size to have wound Cobalt G/3rd strings in my Cobalt sets (I've been using wound Gs for about 30 years on electric guitars - IMO they last longer, sound better, and feel better playing-wise to me). I use 12s for 24.75" scale guitars, and 11s for 25 1/2" scale guitars.
    Actually, it's very good information you provide here. There are many people with nickel and/or chromium allergy. I wonder how many of them has given up guitar playing due to the allergy. They need not do that with your information. Big shops like Thomann in Europe ought to advertize it too.

Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    Actually, it's very good information you provide here. There are many people with nickel and/or chromium allergy. I wonder how many of them has given up guitar playing due to the allergy. They need not do that with your information. Big shops like Thomann in Europe ought to advertize it too.

Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk
    I had to do a fair amount of searching to find the strings I could use. There is a webpage/blog that's kind of helpful for guitarists who have nickel allergies called "Nickel Allergy Guitar".

https://nickelallergyguitar.wordpress.com/

Most players get dermatitis from nickel on their fingers, where they touch the strings (called contact dermatitis). Mine is according to my allergist (who also treats my asthma, along with being my primary care doctor for my dermatitis), and the dermatologist who treated me for the original severe outbreak of dermatitis back in 2014, immune system in nature. I get breakouts all over my body, but not on my hands. It's kind of weird.
    Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 04-28-2016 at 10:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Too many guitars for one type of string...but on my gibsons...flats all day.

User Info Menu

Three years later I'm still using flats. I've tried rounds but I can never deal with them for long. I tend to drag on the strings which really amplify the squeak which drives my wife nuts. I still like the tone of flats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    I tend to drag on the strings which really amplify the squeak which drives my wife nuts.
    On the other hand, certain guitarists (not jazz, obviously) would find flats impossible to use, because you can't play a pick scrape.

Also, on acoustic guitar, I think the squeaky-new-rounds sound sounds rather nice. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EpiJazz
    On the other hand, certain guitarists (not jazz, obviously) would find flats impossible to use, because you can't play a pick scrape.

Also, on acoustic guitar, I think the squeaky-new-rounds sound sounds rather nice. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Yeah, you can add percussive pick scrape sounds to your repertoire and simulate hiphop turntabling scratches too.

User Info Menu

Flatwound. TI '13's

User Info Menu

Flats on the archtop, rounds on everything else. I've been using Elixer Nanoweb 0.10s forever, and don't see a reason to switch. I tried going to 11s, but I didn't like the feel.

User Info Menu

I switch back and forth, based mostly on the whim of the moment. But I think I generally tend to prefer flats on solid-bodies and rounds on archtops, certainly not exclusively though. The only guitars I've never used flats on are flat-top acoustics, my J45 and Ovation. I've never reached a point where I feel comfortable buying strings in bulk, because I change my mind so often.

The old Fender XL150 is a nice set, and the ball color code makes me suspicious of an unmentioned maker,
    No guitar manufacturer makes its own strings. Not Fender, not Gibson, not Benedetto, not Martin, not any of them. There are a number of string manufacturers, and if you buy in sufficient bulk you can put your own brand on any of them. You don't even need to buy that many, relatively speaking.

I bought some Pyramid Nickel Classics in a heavy gauge 13-56 and they are a dream to play. They are pure nickel rounds with a round core. I did not know that Pyramid do that gauges because they don't advertise them on their website. By coincident I saw this in stock at a web-shop and I think it's a good alternative for those of you who don't get along with the odd gauges of TI Bebops.