The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Do you use roundwound or flatwound strings?

Voters
649. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flatwound

370 57.01%
  • Roundwound

258 39.75%
  • I'm a trombonist

21 3.24%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 220

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    At a Frank Vignola clinic I went to recently the subject of string squeak came up, Frank quoted Segovia "it's part of the music".
    I never met Andres, but my friend studied with him briefly in the 70s (wow, what a rare opportunity). I'm guessing if he had been (alive at that time, which he wasn't) in the audience with me that night, he would have politely left the building. That squeal wasn't musical, it was dominating the music and louder than the proper notes.

Nice quote, though ... hope you get a lot of mileage out of it when applicable.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

At a Frank Vignola clinic I went to recently the subject of string squeak came up, Frank quoted Segovia "it's part of the music".
    ...the bad part.(imo)

User Info Menu

I am also with SuperFour00 on the squeaking topic, I can't stand that; Segovia quote or not!
    Big flats all the way on my archies for the great tone, the low action and absence of squeaks...

User Info Menu

Flats on archtops. basses, electrics and acoustics

User Info Menu

definitely agree. a few squeaks here and there tell the listener that this player is workin' hard...and cares enough to put on fresh strings, haha.

User Info Menu

I hate squeaks. Therefore I use flatwounds. But with a better technique than mine, they can be avoided to a large extent even with roundwounds. George van Eps was known for not squeaking on roundwounds.

User Info Menu

Flat wounds for my main (Jazz) guitar. Round wounds on my 'studio-and-session' guitars.

User Info Menu

Depends on the guitar.

I use flatwounds on my Gibson L6-S and my G&L S500 fretless. I think I have 'em on an old Ibanez Joe Pass too. Everything else has roundwounds.

User Info Menu

I have experimented with different strings on my guitars quite a bit. I have tried many different brands and guages. I went up to really thick rounds on my strat to get that heavy chunky blues sound. Sounded cool, but hard to play. I put some thick flats on my old Gibson SG a decade or so ago when I first started to get brave enough to try playing jazz. I loved the sound and no more squeek. However, I had nightmares that I would wake up to the crack of the neck snapping. Back to thinner rounds on that one recently. I picked up a semi-hollow body a while ago and put some medium flats on it. The sound is even better with the semi-hollow body and I still love no squeek. I am inspired to play more becuase I just love the sound I have right now.

User Info Menu

For Jazz on my archtops I exclusively play medium/heavy flat wounds (15-56) has it gives me the tone I like.
    I could bring the action very low without buzz and I like the comfort, tension and speed they provide.
    I only use round wounds on my solid bodies (Les Paul 10-46 and SG 11-49) they get use for fusion, rock and metal.

User Info Menu

I started to use Daddario Chromes flats 2 years ago, and thought the tone was good... but only for clean jazz. It sounded really terrible with any amount of overdrive. Then, out of curiosity, and because many folks praised them, I put on TI Swing flats. Woww! Not all flats are born equal! To say there's improvement is understatement. I'll never look back. I can play any style with any setting and Thomastik delivers, it just the best strings period. For me.

User Info Menu

D'addario Flatwounds on my strat. The tend to have a more trebly sound than typical flatwounds and given the nature of a Stratocaster I don't really have to worry about sounding too muddy.

User Info Menu

Both, some of my electric guitars have flats, some haver rounds. Dreadnaughts rounds only. Can't answer the poll like many above.

User Info Menu

Hi all. I really like the sound of flats on my Eastman hollowbody, but have been trying to find a good feeling string. I tried Tomastik Infelds Swing Jazz strings and found them to be "sticky" or almost "scratchy." Anybody else have a similar experience? I also had a similar experience with stainless steel D'Angelico's.

Currently I'm using D'Addario chromes and find them quite pleasant on the fingers and the ears.

All good things for 2015.

User Info Menu

The chromes give a very smooth feel, yes and very little finger sound. But also quite a dull sound. This is marketed as 'mellow'. I have recently changed to TI swings flats and find the sound to be more lively The finger sound is only slightly more than the chromes but I prefer the lower tension on my ageing finger joints. However on my other archtop I am using elixir nano webs - love em!

User Info Menu

I'd love to try TI strings, but I don't know of any retailer which offers them =(

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin Moody
    I'd love to try TI strings, but I don't know of any retailer which offers them =(
    TI's is a German or Austrian company seems like they wouldn't be that hard to find in your neck of the world.

User Info Menu

It's this easy

Contact | Thomastik-Infeld Vienna

User Info Menu

TI's is a German or Austrian company seems like they wouldn't be that hard to find in your neck of the world.
    To put it bluntly, this place is absolutely infested with terrible metal and rock guitarists. The only guitar store in town has literally no hollowbodies. There's not a big enough market for jazz products.

User Info Menu

To put it bluntly, this place is absolutely infested with terrible metal and rock guitarists. The only guitar store in town has literally no hollowbodies. There's not a big enough market for jazz products.
    It seems like you're putting up barriers for yourself.

Contact Tomastik, tell them what you want and ask where you can get it. That's simple.

Sorry....I have a "thing" about going after what you want.

User Info Menu

You can do that? As long as I can afford it.

User Info Menu

Or buy from a web shop.

User Info Menu

I hate sqeaks too... especially when I have to play at low volumes. Besides, I think with archtopds it is different than with flatops which are louder and brighter and more ringing sonorous... so squeak is more integrated into the whole sound...

And also I like punching attack of the flats... on archtop I like them even on acoustics (though I had to find my way wit hthem - at first they did not sound)

As per Segovia - sqeak of nylon is different, I played classical guitars, lutes - and I never thought about sqeaks, never even noticed it...

User Info Menu

I've played guitar for many years and only two years ago bought my first arch-top. An Eastman 810. I've been loving the guitar since; it suits me well as a singer/guitarist. I've not been that happy though with the strings I've been using and decided to venture into the world of Thomastik-Infelds. I put on a set of the "Plectrum" strings and can't believe how those stings have brought out a richness of tone from the guitar. I'm considering going with "Spectrums" on my Collings OM flat-top. I'm also a dance fiddler and never hesitate to drop 40-50$ on fiddle strings. It made me realize that maybe we short change ourselves by investing so much into our guitars (mandolins, etc.) and then balk when a set of strings start costing more than 10$ or so. Just my opinion here as I learn for the 800th time that you get what you pay for.

User Info Menu

I love the TI plectrums on my Larrivée OM... So rich and light... Makes it sound like a grand piano.