The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Do you use roundwound or flatwound strings?

Voters
649. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flatwound

370 57.01%
  • Roundwound

258 39.75%
  • I'm a trombonist

21 3.24%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 220

User Info Menu

Les Pauls, H150s & Strats . . .010 round. ES 335s and H535s . . .011 round. All of my arch tops have flat wounds. Most have .013 Jazz Swing TIs . . some have .012 GB TIs . . some have .012 D'Ad Chromes. Depends upon the guitar and the feel.

I don't believe any one set of strings will work similarly as well on a variety of arch tops guitars. However, on a solid body like a strat type or a Les Paul type . . just give me a set of any manufacturers .010 round wounds and I'm happy.

I once had an H 535 (Heritage's version of an ES 335) that I wanted to have set up for a jazz kinda tone/vibe. Put a set of .011 flat wounds on it. Hated the feel. Felt like I was muting the personality of the guitar. Immediately went back to .011 rounds.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    Les Pauls, H150s & Strats . . .010 round. ES 335s and H535s . . .011 round. All of my arch tops have flat wounds. Most have .013 Jazz Swing TIs . . some have .012 GB TIs . . some have .012 D'Ad Chromes. Depends upon the guitar and the feel.

I don't believe any one set of strings will work similarly as well on a variety of arch tops guitars. However, on a solid body like a strat type or a Les Paul type . . just give me a set of any manufacturers .010 round wounds and I'm happy.

I once had an H 535 (Heritage's version of an ES 335) that I wanted to have set up for a jazz kinda tone/vibe. Put a set of .011 flat wounds on it. Hated the feel. Felt like I was muting the personality of the guitar. Immediately went back to .011 rounds.
    You string your acoustic archtops with flats?

User Info Menu

Round wound strings are brighter and livelier for me, their downfall is the string squeal from fingers sliding up or down them. I find myself able to control the noise with concentration in quieter passages but it's a pain.

Flats are too dead / dull and lifeless for me but their lack of string squeal and somewhat mellow tone are very attractive. I wish someone could point me to a string that has all the best attributes of both.

User Info Menu

Flatwound on one archtop for old school sounds. Else, roundwound.

At the moment:

09-42 on the tele
    09-46 on the strat
    10-46 on a Godin 25.5" scale
    11-48 on a Gibson SG
    13-53 flatwound on the archtop (24.75")
    13-56 on the steel acoustic (25.5")

String gauges are subject to change without notice.

Concerning the string squeel on roundwounds...I find the Elixir Nanowebs to be very smooth and silent in that regard.

I actually find just about any type of guitar good for yer typical "jazz"....as long as strings are 011 or thicker (depends a bit on neck scale and action though). But I digress
    Last edited by Runepune; 10-27-2013 at 06:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Round wound strings are brighter and livelier for me, their downfall is the string squeal from fingers sliding up or down them. I find myself able to control the noise with concentration in quieter passages but it's a pain.

Flats are too dead / dull and lifeless for me but their lack of string squeal and somewhat mellow tone are very attractive. I wish someone could point me to a string that has all the best attributes of both.
    Try either some coated round wounds which I use, or half rounds made by several manufacturers.

User Info Menu

Me too.D'Addario half roundsNo squeaks.

User Info Menu

Flatwounds here...

User Info Menu

I've been using D'addario flats since I started playing jazz about a year ago. Having recently picked up a 7 string, I am going to give them a shot on that guitar as well. If the A sounds dead then I will probably move to Elixirs.

User Info Menu

T-I Swings on all semi and hollow bodies, D'Addario round 10s with a wound third on all solid bodies. I'm not much on twang and squeal.

User Info Menu

yes

User Info Menu

Good answer. Have to add, for couple of weeks already, I have half rounds, or whatever you name them, on Tele. They're 11s, and so far, I quite like them.

User Info Menu

It depends on the guitar. I like flats on my es175 and Jim Hall, rounds on my Soloways and heritage semi.

User Info Menu

I use both. I keep changing my mind as to what I like better.

User Info Menu

i'd like to switch to rounds on my archtop but I like the TI flats on there. I use rounds for semi-hollow, pop, fusion though.

User Info Menu

Flats on the Archtop, rounds on the Strat.

User Info Menu

I use 11 DA flats on my Gibson Midtown Kalamazoo, and DA 10 rounds on my Les Paul Standard.

User Info Menu

flat. thomistik

User Info Menu

TI Bebops .013s for years

User Info Menu

For octaves I prefer big fat flats on my jazz guitar...
    Rounds on my Rickenbacker when I want some crunch.

User Info Menu

I have flats on my 7-string...except for the 7th string! It's a roundwound.

User Info Menu

I play a Tele now only with 10's so rounds do it all for me Jazz, Blues ,rock I just ride my tone control and volume.
    Guitar,cord,amp.

User Info Menu

Both..

Infact all three. I have a classical with nylon strings, solid bodies with round-wounds, and a simi-hollow with flat-wounds.

User Info Menu

Both

User Info Menu

Both.

But on the subject of archtops and string squeek ... I saw Anthony Wilson with Diana Krall a few years ago; he was playing what looked like a handmade (?) archtop in natural finish through a tweed amp (Victoria?). He was using roundwound strings and his string squeal was epic. It was so distracting, I could barely listen to his chordal work and it destroyed any attempts at octave solo licks. I propose perhaps he had a piezo pick-up in addition to his magnetic pick-up ... whatever it was, I cringed through the whole gig, and I noticed similar responses around me in the crowd. With his pick-ups, amp, and technique, the liveliness of the strings was overshadowed by the brutal string squeal. I never want that to happen again, it was like broken glass dragged across a chalkboard. Too bad, he's a good player.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFour00
    Both.

But on the subject of archtops and string squeek ... I saw Anthony Wilson with Diana Krall a few years ago; he was playing what looked like a handmade (?) archtop in natural finish through a tweed amp (Victoria?). He was using roundwound strings and his string squeal was epic. It was so distracting, I could barely listen to his chordal work and it destroyed any attempts at octave solo licks. I propose perhaps he had a piezo pick-up in addition to his magnetic pick-up ... whatever it was, I cringed through the whole gig, and I noticed similar responses around me in the crowd. With his pick-ups, amp, and technique, the liveliness of the strings was overshadowed by the brutal string squeal. I never want that to happen again, it was like broken glass dragged across a chalkboard. Too bad, he's a good player.
    At a Frank Vignola clinic I went to recently the subject of string squeak came up, Frank quoted Segovia "it's part of the music".