Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14
    CC323 Guest
    So i've been looking at some archtops that I might like lately. I haven't really narrowed much down, but the Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor and most of the Ibanez Artcore caught my eye.

I'm trying to stay under 750, and i don't think that the artcore custom is worth the extra 300-400. I recently purchased a Gary Stroup solid woods archtop, but the thing fedback like crazy at really moderate/low trio volumes. I sent it back, also in part because the binding was done a bit poorly and the finish was kind of inconsistent.
    I never thought I was that much of an aesthetics guy, but the thing also had REALLY quiet bass strings no matter how much i raised the pole pieces.

So I've been looking at the Joe Pass Emperor, The Ibanez AK95D, and I'd be interested in just about any laminate top mounted humbuckers archtop under about 750 (Florintine Cut is a plus). Any help administered would be greatly appreciated. I've looked at Peerless, but I think they're a bit pricey for the limited usability of a 'real' archtop for me. Thanks!

Chris

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

hagstrom is your answer

CC323 Guest
    Do you have one? How do they play? Are the pickups good? They seem to be priced REALLY well for how good they LOOK. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chris

User Info Menu

the hagstroms look and sound good, but they've got little skinny necks i could never bond with.

ditto for the ibanez's for the most part. in the budget archtop range, i like the epiphones. be sure to check out their ES-175 and the zephyr regent (like a 1 pup 175) as well as the joe pass.

CC323 Guest
    Oh wow. I really appreciate the warning Mr. Beaumont. I can't stand thin necks at all. The closest to perfect guitar neck I ever played was a Carvin Holdsworth. It's pretty huge. I have played Double basses with nearly 1 1/2 inch necks, and I really wish that those were available on guitars (seriously). Are the Epiphones good? I've heard good and bad about them, but those opinions come from somewhat biased people or forums IMO. The lifetime warranty thing is something I like. I've looked at the ES-175, and it looks really cool. I'd like to try it, but most GC's tend to have BC Richs and PRS's and that's it...

Thanks for the help so far guys.

User Info Menu

thin necks give me looove.For sure it's the thinnest archtop and the other hagstrom guitars have those necks.My next guitar will be, guess it..........

Sound is unexpetable from that budget.Only from 1000 euros and up you will find a same guitar.Quality is better from epi joe pass,175,zephyr and for sure many levels from ibanez.
    Last edited by trigga; 12-22-2008 at 02:32 AM.

CC323 Guest
    I'm really liking the way this Peerless Journeyman looks for only 1100 bucks.
    Jazz Guitar Zone

It's a bit more than I'd like to spend on a jazz guitar right now, and while it's chinese made, it's actually cheaper for them to just give you a new one than to get it checked, and with a lifetime warranty, I'd be fine with that. What do you guys think?

User Info Menu

you don't say 750 what? $US I suppose. Based on what they cost here in Australia, what about Michael Kelly Velvet II - about $US 600 - Washburn HB15 -$500 or Wash J3 - $650, Samick LaSalle JZ1 - $600 or JZ3- $750. There is also a nice Aria Jazz model. I bought an Ibanez AG95DBS this year and I'm very happy with it. I actually wanted the Michael Kelly which I bought but it had a few buzzing frets and when I took it back, I was told that it didn't have any buzzing frets. I told them that I had been playing for 42 years and I know what a buzz is and the conversation went downhill rapidly. Result: I can't go back to that shop but I bought the Ibanz with the refund. I live on a farm and I dress very down market so shop staff aren't always helpful, but I've bought 4 guitars this year so that shop has lost about $2500 on that deal.

CC323 Guest
    Yeah, USD for now, sorry for the confusion. I'm getting my degree over here right now and hopefully a few more guitars, then I plan on moving down under, probably Perth or Melbourne (a few relatives there). I've looked at that AG95D before and it looks nice, but as Mr. Beaumont said it has a thin neck, I'm kinda avoiding that guitar until further notice. I'm not sure if I want to spend 500ish USD on an ES-175 Epiphone, or go 1100 on that Peerless Journeyman, as 1100 for a one trick pony seems a bit much to me.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Chris

User Info Menu

Hey pal, here's something a bit leftfield,

Guitar Stuff - Alvarez MF80C Acoustic Guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CC323 View Post
    I'm really liking the way this Peerless Journeyman looks for only 1100 bucks.
    Jazz Guitar Zone

It's a bit more than I'd like to spend on a jazz guitar right now, and while it's chinese made, it's actually cheaper for them to just give you a new one than to get it checked, and with a lifetime warranty, I'd be fine with that. What do you guys think?
    I have a Peerless Monarch and love it,a great guitar and it has a fat neck that i like,not the thin skinny necks made on the Ibanez's and others,I mean for each there own,I was used to the 50's neck on my less paul and the Monarch fit the bill ,real close to it so I'am comfortable with it. Life time warranty(to the original owner) is nice too. Peerless is made in Korea and there are some good craftsman over there and you will get a good quality guitar for your money.
    eno

CC323 Guest
    Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to debate between the Peerless and the Epi ES-175. The Epi is 500 and the peerless is 1100, which is the main issue. I don't really want to blow that much on an instrument that's meant to sound good for jazz but not be a 'number one' guitar. Someday I'll get a Sadowsky or Benedetto, but I just want something nice for now, and if I find a good enough playing ES-175 or Joe Pass Emperor, I'll definitely pick it up. I really appreciate the input and help guys.

Chris

User Info Menu

Well, I have an Epi Joe Pass, Korean-built. Nice to play but the pickups were a little limp, so I replaced them with Gibson p/u's that came off a Les Paul. Much better guitar as a result. Having said that, the Peerless is a very good guitar and will do you fine as you grow into it. Only you can make the $$$ call.

User Info Menu

As a point of interest for folks considering a Peerless Monarch, I understand that the Vintage VSA 750 Brooklyn (which I play and adore) is/was made in the same factory as the Peerless. It is exactly the same guitar but for the lack of tone control on the Peerless.

The Vintage used to retail for £650 but I got mine for £400 because the shop had gone head to head with the guitar shop next door which had discounted a cheaper model - my shop had clearly got confused over the models.

If someone fancies a Peerless but is after a cheaper guitar then try the Vintage - a beautiful guitar, lovely neck, and it will probably be available on the internet cheaper.