The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Not to mention a Les Paul and an L5! I love this 1995 Newport Jazz festival toe-tapping recording of "LA Underground" with Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour in top form! Check it out...Jeff

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well Larry and Lee are among ( if not) the best guitar players around!!
    Dumble and Mesa can do a lot of stuff...really....Mesa are among the most versatile amps around.

User Info Menu

Err, not my cuppa tea. The keening Dumble drives me nuts.

User Info Menu

Well the Dumble is a big part of his sound, rarely see him live without it (back then not sure of now) but......
    I'd rather hear him on a 335. Les Pauls always sound like solid bodies, and 335's to me, have a lot more dimension, the reason I traded in my LP for a 355 with a very similar architecture , neck and electronics wise.

That LP as the video progresses, loses more and more, especially when bouncing against an L5 !!! Great playing tho from both.

User Info Menu

Larry's playing is fine. (Not that my opinion matters.) It is just that that keening Dumble is so cliched sounding after 18-plus years that it is grating. I know that the video is circa 1995 but I am listening to it in 2013. Too many clones (amps and players) and done to the death jazz lite tone. (Larry Calton was always a session player first.)

I would rather identify Larry Calton's playing from his phrasing and ideas than his Dumble tone. But that is my problem I gotta resolve.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Larry's playing is fine. (Not that my opinion matters.) It is just that that keening Dumble is so cliched sounding after 18-plus years that it is grating. I know that the video is circa 1995 but I am listening to it in 2013. Too many clones (amps and players) and done to the death jazz lite tone. (Larry Calton was always a session player first.)

I would rather identify Larry Calton's playing from his phrasing and ideas than his Dumble tone. But that is my problem I gotta resolve.
    Well,if the Dumble is "cliched sounding", what we should say about Twins,Plexis,Voxes.....anything in the last 40 years really

I would rather identify Larry Calton's playing from his phrasing and ideas than his Dumble tone
    well the Dumble actually "has" a tone of its own,thet's the reason for so many "clones"....
    Nobody will clone an HotRod Deluxe....

User Info Menu

Umm, Lee's belt buckle is awfully close to the back of that L5. Just saying. I like Lee's sound, he must be the one with the mesa.

I've always been a fan of both of these guys. They were the ones in about 1974 that originally moved me in a direction towards jazz. I was about 15 years old and my older sister had a boyfriend guitar player. He'd take me and we would see them play (individually) at the Roxy in Hollywood.

User Info Menu

If that shakes you up, here's the two of them playing Wes Mongomery's "Four on Six." Doesn't sound anything like the old standard's usual performance.

Lee Ritenour & Larry Carlton - 4 on 6 - Parte 1 - YouTube

And frankly, I don't really care for it. Ritenour and Carlson are both very skilled guitarists and I suspect you could put either of them with a string bassist and drummer, no distortion on their amps, and get a really musical performance. But it doesn't seem to be what they want to do. And what they do isn't really what I like to listen to. It's a matter of preference. That's all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peterpanico
    Well,if the Dumble is "cliched sounding", what we should say about Twins,Plexis,Voxes.....anything in the last 40 years really

well the Dumble actually "has" a tone of its own,thet's the reason for so many "clones"....

That is like comparing jeans with bellbottoms....

User Info Menu

These are two of my favorite guitar players in the world . . . with Larry being at the very top of that heap. One of the reasons that they are recording and performing stars, and not just run of the mill small time jazz club gigging guitarists (a level to which I still aspire ) . . . is because their interpretations of some standards, are not just a standard run of the mill interpretation of them. That applies to both musical content and tone, by the way.

Four on Six has been played ad nauseum . . . and almost all who play it strive for "that Wes tone". Why . . . they ain't Wes man!!! If I want to hear Four on Six performed the way Wes did and with Wes' tone . . . I'll listen to a Wes CD of it. By the way . . . whose tone did Wes strive to achieve? I have the above performance of Larry and Lee doing that live version of Four on Six saved in "My Favorites". I can't get enough of it . . . and I do not compare it to anything other than what it is . . or to any other performace of the tune. But, as was said here . . it's mostly a matter of personal tastes.

User Info Menu

I didn't really like the album they did together but I could listen to this all day. To me, Larry Carlton brings a joy to his live performances that makes even the most mundane seem magical and Ritenour's tone on the L5 has always been glorious. And beyond the solos, I love seeing Larry comp behind the keyboard.

User Info Menu

Saw Lee and Larry perform just after the release of their album, pretty much same set up as in the video, absolutely great concert. Also saw Lee perform promoting his album Wes Bound, again excellent.

My assessment of these two guitarists is similar to Patrick's.

User Info Menu

I love that video posted for 4 on 6. Lee's intro and the first several choruses of the 4 on 6 solo, that's my favorite. Where he is playing over the changes, he doesn't take the typically path that many do. I think he is just a complete monster.

What I like about these guys, as mentioned before, they do their own thing. And, they mostly play on tunes that they wrote themselves.

User Info Menu

"LA Underground"--To me all of the musicians in this video are firing on all cylinders, and the drummer seems to be having more fun than anyone! Larry has great phrasing and creativity, and Lee has nimble dexterity and fabulous L5 tone.
    Their respective tone and styles compliment each other on this performance. We all have our preferences I know.
    I like that both guitarists are capable of playing any style (rock, fusion,country) very well--skills born from years of reading charts in the studio. It all comes together in this video for me! Two of my all time favorite guitarists. Jeff

User Info Menu

A couple of these posts have referenced Lee's L5 tone. Well, the video posted is of Lee's L5CES. For my money, Lee's greatest L5 tone was with his older L5C with the floating BCB/Johnny Smith. I don't know if any of you have had the pleasure of seeing this live performance, now available on BluRay, Of Lee and a host of fabulous musicians. Quite a bit of narrating by Lee and some of the other players. The link below has a button to click on that lists all the artists. Lee plays his beautiful L5C quite a bit on this. He also smokes his ES335 dot board. He has a wild assortment of amps and pedals. The stage set up is just fantastic, as is the camera work and the recording sound quality. The musicians are in a circle . . . all facing each other. The performance of Captain Fingers is nothing short of amazing . . . by all players! He does some great Brazilian stuff and has some very talented vocalists as well. There's also a link up to Captain Fingers. Ernie Watts, Patrice Rushen, Anthony Jackson SMOKES . . . . but, check out the stage setting as well. And I love that their all reading charts!

Watching this makes me feel like I'm right up there on stage with them.

Lee Ritenour: Overtime Blu-ray

User Info Menu

"He has a wild assortment of amps and pedals. The stage set up is just fantastic, as is the camera work and the recording sound quality. The musicians are in a circle . . . all facing each other. The performance of Captain Fingers is nothing short of amazing . . ."

I bought the "Overtime" DVD a few years ago, and I put it on from time to time in the man-cave/billiard room as background. How the musicians are able to sight read the hyper-kinetic "Captain Fingers", I'll never understand!
    One of my faves on the DVD is the rendition of Lee's quasi-80's hit "Is It You", beautifully sung by Kenya Hathaway.
    I'll have to give another listen to the DVD, paying paying particular attention to the L5 floater Lee uses. Jeff

User Info Menu

Not that these guys need any more praise, but they're two of my favorites as well, so I'll pile on. I saw Larry play at the Blue Note in NYC not long ago and was at the table next to his side of the stage, like 8 feet away. He played his 335 of course, and also an LP Special. And let's not forget his Valley Arts flattop. His son Travis kicked butt on bass. Larry can coax more out of one note than anybody else out there. You literally hang on every note and phrase when you watch him live.

I've never seen Lee in concert but I've admired his L-5 tone for a long time, and whenever I daydream about how I might sound on my own L-5C, his videos are among those I pull up. I also dig the album they made together ("Larry & Lee") and think it contains some of the all-time best recorded electric guitar tones in the clean jazz genre. Just killer - L-5, 335, LP, Strat, Tele, all the classics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peterpanico

Those amps don't keen; a Dumble does. That's what makes a Dumble cliched. You don't hear a Fender Twin; you HEAR a Dumble and it has strong associations with a certain sub-genre of jazz which I dislike. That's just me though.

Sorry to derail this thread. It is really about Larry Calton and Lee Ritenour. Great chops. But it did start off mentioning Dumble ODS in the title, so............

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    ... I love this 1995 Newport Jazz festival toe-tapping recording of "LA Underground" with Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour in top form! Check it out...Jeff
    I loved it too. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    ... One of the reasons that [Lee Ritenour and arry Carton] are recording and performing stars, and not just run of the mill small time jazz club gigging guitarists ... is because their interpretations of some standards are not just a standard run of the mill interpretation of them. ...
    Makes Sense to me. With all due respect to Wes, my ears really enjoy Lee's rendition of 4 on 6 from the Live in Japan '95 video.

User Info Menu

i liked it too, and

as for he dumble,
    i hear more violin-like sustain
    which allows for cool phrasing

a nice contrast to the L5