The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PTChristopher
    Hey Keira,

Nice find, and while the Bigs may not be as much of a tone-killer as one might think (because of the way to top tends to divide up into vibrating areas) it sure will be nice to be rid of the hunk of hardware on the front.

It looks great to me, but don't think we are buying your rating on the state of condition of the owner either. (Which must sound more presumptuous than I mean it to.)

Best of all, it is nice to hear that the frets and FB are ready for action.

Chris
    Agreed, I don't think Keira has a nasty headstock crack and repair

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    Agreed, I don't think Keira has a nasty headstock crack and repair
    and i kid you not in fact i did have a repair to my forehead bone ....... after an accident but i hope the work is better than that on the hofners repair ... but technically i have had my 'head' stock repaired heheheheh

btw i gigged it on sunday at both my gigs....and it was fabulous....... i'm smiling . some video was shot at the one venue but not by me so soon as i can get my hands on it i'll post a clip

nice tone ... almost piano like clarity in mids .... i loved it ........ went from my hofner directly to my zt acoustic lb which was lined out in both venues to the PA ...and i was happy ...that "hofner toaster " pickup gave an instant "vintage/traditional/dated jazz tone" instantly with minor EQ ...... and i loved the fretboard radius ...... it's quite curved , so bending would be a prob ... BUT for my style of multipart playing i loved it .....
    so far it gets a thumbs up .....

User Info Menu

I am particularly fond of old Hofner archtops from the 1950s and 1960s. The 1960s models acquired truss rods and much more standardized necks (both very good things). Here's one of mine, an early 1960s 4550/S/E2 (currently set up with late 1950s pickups, in line for a neck reset and bridge swap), that also captures the "vintage/traditional/dated jazz tone":
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-14-2013 at 03:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice guitar, Hammertone. I like the styling. The only Hofner I have is a 1965 30" scale violin bass a la Paul McCartney. It's got the good sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Your post made me feel much older... I'd have to buy a guitar a decade older than that one to make your comment valid for me:

"finally i own a guitar thats older than i am .... and in better condition than i am"

For now I settle for cutsie guitars that my GF likes too :-)

If I had to get gas and buy another guitar it would be a p90 es135

User Info Menu

wow hammertone that hofner of yours is mint........ awesome... mine looks like it was played hard for the last 53 years ..although after the recent setup and refret it's totally playable but is full of dings and scrapes and chequered laquer ............however if it could talk i can just imagine the stories it could tell.........

User Info Menu

The only guitar I could find older than me was a lute.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaJoe
    The only guitar I could find older than me was a lute.
    lolololololololololololol . . . . .