Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Hello All !
    This last weekend, I had some time to spens and I went to try out the Godin 5th Avenue.
    This guitar (accoustic version) cost about a 500 €, and I find this is a good price for the quality of the instrument.
    I think that the top and back are in whole wood, but the sides are laminate. It has a nice satin vernish finish. The neck has a 4,6 cm and the neck shape is like every Godin.
    It sounds good, with good mediums and high tones.
    Godin Guitars

And while I was in the store, I bough for my Christmas the small Fender lamp Amp "Champion 600 5W", nice to train at home !
    .:: Fender®.com ::.
    *Hofner President 1959 *Epiphone Broadway
    *Crafter TB-Rose *Gitane DG 320 Gibson L5 1951
    - Fender Champion 600
    - Laney Linebreaker 100 Reverb

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Are you sure ? A guitar in plain wood for this price, it's incredible !
    There are 2 shops having this model in Brussels.
    - Fender Champion 600

User Info Menu

with all due respect, the spec does not say if it is a multi ply side or not, it simply states its cherry, it still could be multi ply most are to insure the strength and stabilty, I myself would prefer that,

User Info Menu

Glad you got to play one. I love that guitar? It looks great! It is indeed ply cherry for the entire guitar body. The top and back are molded. But that's not a bad thing for an archtop in my opinion.

Did I say how cool they looked?

Here's a link to some more info: http://www.godinguitars.com/5thavenu..._gtrplayer.pdf

Just a really cool guitar! Did I say that already?

From what I've heard of this guitar your assesment seems right on. Good mids, highs, not much bottom. But it's cool you got to at least play one, no shops have them near me.
    Washburn J600 Jazz
    D'Addario Flat Wounds

User Info Menu

mmukav, Thank you for the link. Yes this guitar is cool and I was happy I could try one. In my opinion, I found that the Godin was less powerfull and gave less sound than my old (50 years) Hofner President archtop, but is more funny to play. The neck is simply perfect. In the shop near me, they only had one accoustic model.
    - Fender Champion 600

User Info Menu

hi flupkedoc. looked at your hofner president 1959 and its one great looking guitar.

User Info Menu

I wonder if it's the cherry wood that makes it kind of skimpy tone-wise. I love cherry for furniture, etc., but it doesn't seem to be a popular tonewood. Just a thought....
    Washburn J600 Jazz
    D'Addario Flat Wounds

User Info Menu

valriver40, thanks ! it's a great guitar indeed
    - Fender Champion 600

User Info Menu

i agree with mmukav on the tone. perhaps a solid spruce top would improved the tone. my plan in the new year is to buy a godin, install a humbucker with one volume and tone control instead of the p-90.merry christmas to all.

User Info Menu

Reply from Godin guitars:
    Hi,
    It's not plywood. It's a 3 layer lamination with the center layer glued cross grain for added strenght.
    Regards,

Michel
    Godin Guitars
    Godin Guitars

chitlinsonrye Guest
    I was looking forward to trying one of these, and was very disappointed with the sound. Reminded me of a cigar box for some reason...thin and plonky. IMO, of course.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 601 Blues View Post
    Reply from Godin guitars:
    Hi,
    It's not plywood. It's a 3 layer lamination with the center layer glued cross grain for added strenght.
    Regards,

Michel
    Godin Guitars
    Godin Guitars
    Yes Michel, of course. Laminated wood, real wood! I mispoke when using the word ply, but it's a common term and I mistakenly exchange them at times. My Ibanez Artcore AK86 is laminated, as are many other fine archtops.

Can you tell us why the cherry's tone is as it is? Why don't these guitars have more bass? They seem crisp at the top end, and seem to have clear mids. Is it the wood, or more the design?

Thanks!
    Washburn J600 Jazz
    D'Addario Flat Wounds

User Info Menu

That reply That I recieved kinda put me off really!
    1. what is Plywood, its several layers of wood with grain running in opposite directions to give strength and stabilty, they are attached to each other by spreading a coating of glue evenly and appling preassure to press them together, hence plywood, the number of plies is to determine thickness, NOW Godin replied it not Ply wood, Its Layer wood, 3 layers not Ply's and they are Laminated, Not Glued together!!WTF!! sounds like BS ta me, I have no problem with the process, I think its good, I have a couple of Layer wood guitars myself!! But to just ti try and make it more tech, Layer instead of Ply???Laminated instead of Glue???!!!! What A Crock!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by valriver40 View Post
    i agree with mmukav on the tone. perhaps a solid spruce top would improved the tone. my plan in the new year is to buy a godin, install a humbucker with one volume and tone control instead of the p-90.merry christmas to all.

Don't ditch the P90, it's a great pickup, go with the flow and play the pickup first before considering a swap! I've a Yamaha AEX502 with 2xP90's & .13's flatwounds and that guitar is really the dogs mate. Anyhoo the first incarnation of the ES175 had ply/laminate top with a single P90, give it a chance pal and I'm sure you won't regret it.
    Furthermore has anyone tried this P90 guitar? I would buy one tomorrow if it had a cutaway.
    What's your thoughts??

User Info Menu

I have several Guitars eq with P90s, 1 the standard P90, is somtin ya have to fool around with, the settings on your amp,EQs and on the guitar its self, its not like the humbucker or fender open coil, but once you find the sweet spot its great, I have one with stacked P90s its a 2 coil like a humbucker, much quieter than a standard P90, but sounds more like a Humbucker
    I have one that I prefer over them all and thats a Blues P90, this is underwound,and has a dummie coil below it, its much quieter than a standard P90 but maintains the P90 voice, and single coil status ,But step on the gas a bit and it has enough attitude without overdrive,to be interesting