The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I have 2 amps I like with 15" speakers, but am interested in trying out some others. The 2 are a Marsh 64 Vibroverb clone and an Ampeg Gemini II. Looking for a Wes type sound.

Anybody got suggestions? I know Wes' favorite were the JBL D130F, but I am thinking with a pick they might be too bright in the upper end. Looking for a full mid sound where the upper end coun be rolled down as needed.

Let me know your 15" favs!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

the EV in a fender 75 is freekin awesome

dunno what EV it is though ... sorry

User Info Menu

I used to use EV 15L and 15B, which are heavy, but are really loud and sound great. I liked the Eminence Legend 15 as well.

User Info Menu

EV does not make 15s anymore. Maybe the Jensen Neo 15?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Petimar
    I have 2 amps I like with 15" speakers, but am interested in trying out some others. The 2 are a Marsh 64 Vibroverb clone and an Ampeg Gemini II. Looking for a Wes type sound.

Anybody got suggestions? I know Wes' favorite were the JBL D130F, but I am thinking with a pick they might be too bright in the upper end. Looking for a full mid sound where the upper end coun be rolled down as needed.

Let me know your 15" favs!
    If you were in South Florida, I'd let you try some 200watt rated vintage EV EVM15B's in your amps.

They were used for a bass guitar and came from a crushed speaker cab that sounded GREAT with a guitar even with the case smashed!

They're difficult to find though with the original labels on them, some people are passing imitations off as EVM15B's. I saw a Fender cab with photocopied EVM labels on them a couple of years ago!!!

User Info Menu

ooo that reminds me
    yonks ago I used to play bass in a pop band

anyway I was in a shop and I heard a guy demoing
    upright bass through this 1 x 15 cab sounded fab so
    I asked how much is that cab (it was a lot of dough)
    so I didn't buy it

but I got to thinking about it and went back a couple of days later
    and asked about the speaker as if I was gonna buy it
    all about what speaker was in it etc
    it was an EV 15 B

anyway I took a tape measure to the cab when no-one was particularly interested measured the port depth et all
    and I bought some Marine Ply and built a copy
    and put an ev15b in it
    it sounded amazing

anyway , never used it for guitar
    (I believe the L has a bit more highs if you want that)

the fender 75 with the EV was the best amp I've ever tried
    probably an L version ..... its a guit amp
    but man was it heavy

What are the steel players using these days guys ?
    they use 15's

If I was doing it now I'd deffo have a research to see what the
    country steel players are using , probably a neo 15 of some sort
    good luck tone hunting man and building a cab is no biggy
    just copy something you like the sound of
    you don't need a port for a guitar particularly

User Info Menu

Any love for Webers? California 15?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu

anyway , never used it for guitar
    (I believe the L has a bit more highs if you want that)
    From what I know the 15B only differs from the L version on its "throw distance" The distance the cones coil moves in and out of the magnet. That should make the basket chassis, coil and magnet identical, with only the cone suspension different?

User Info Menu

I really like the Eminence Legend. It's got a real natural sound.

User Info Menu

+1 on the Emi Legend, I built an Allen Accomplice (Deluxe Reverb type ) with one and that amp gets used more than any others in the fleet.

User Info Menu

I compared them, with identical amps, and they sounded similar, but with the frequencies of the B shifted down. I preferred the B for bass and guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    From what I know the 15B only differs from the L version on its "throw distance" The distance the cones coil moves in and out of the magnet. That should make the basket chassis, coil and magnet identical, with only the cone suspension different?

User Info Menu

You cannot go wrong with the Emi Legend 151. I tried that one and many others in my old Gemini II, which had been modded with a larger PT, 6L6s and a tube rectifier. Turns out the best speaker for the way I played it was an Emi Big Ben. But that was in loud applications, running full up or close to it. The Big Ben has a throaty kind of howl when you push it. Not bad at cleans, but doesn't really come alive at lower volumes. For quieter playing, jazzier stuff, the Legend 151 would be perfect.
    MD

User Info Menu

I usé old HH-speaker 15" and B-100 amp to get smooth jazzy sound. Got that old bass amp for 60 euros for some years ago, but it was too heavy to tranport. So I made it in two pieces a head and a cab. Have shown the result in some earlier thred. It sound ok to me. cheers juuso. P.S. Have tried Exploder(Fender, 13 W) with 15" speaker, but it sounded more crispy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Any love for Webers? California 15?
    Oh, yeah, a lot of love for the Weber California here. This amp has a ceramic California with an aluminum dust cover.

The amp is a Weber 6A14HP, which is a souped-up Princeton Reverb circuit that puts out a little over 30 watts. It's my favorite, and most used amp.

User Info Menu

Leaning to the Eminence Legend 1518. I'll let you know how it works.

User Info Menu

The weber cali ceramic is a longtime favorite for me. But in the Ampeg Gem II, the Legend 151 was better, Big Ben better still.
    MD