The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

First off, I didn't want a purpose built gypsy jazz guitar. These tend to be built for scenarios I'm unlikely to find myself in. I was interested in this guitar because, while it has some of the design queues of a gypsy jazz model, it is, in fact, built like most other archtops. It has a petite bouche (if I'm using the term correctly) soundhole instead of f holes and the outline is a bit more French.. but it has X bracing with a solid carved top and back. So.. some pictures..

Last edited by Spook410; 12-21-2012 at 07:50 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

And a few more..

At 3" deep it is a fairly small guitar. However, the top is somewhat thick (1/4") so it isn't particularly light.

I have not noted a single manufacturing error on this guitar. Something I've come to expect from ordering factory guitars. The Chinese mahogany while more more red/orange compared to some others is nice looking. The bindings are multi-layer maple and the workmanship looks very good to my untrained eye.

I think I will have to record it before discussing the sound. I will just say that even with factory strings I'm a bit stunned how much I like it.
    Last edited by Spook410; 12-21-2012 at 08:08 PM.

User Info Menu

brother, U did GOOD! I love everything about her! I bet with mahogany back and sides she's got tone for daze!

nice job with the photos...judging by the landscape and sky you're in southern cal', arizona, or new mexico?

User Info Menu

Fun faux-gitane look to it.

Why such thick-o-sity to the top?

Nice touch to include the Maccaferri style bridge.

Chris

User Info Menu

Congrats! That's beautiful! If you don't mind sharing, How much did you pay all in all for the guitar shipped to your house? Also, how long did it take from ordering to recieving it?

K

You've been around 2b's.. yes, New Mexico. Should have gotten the mountains in the picture but the light was waning.

Well Chris.. actually I was going to ask you about the top. I measured again and it's a full 1/4" thick. And yet, this thing is warm and rich with no hint that the top requires additional energy to make it go.

ninja - about $950 for the guitar and $120 for express shipping. That is with their best case which is pretty decent. Their other cases are not worth having. Took about 12 weeks but I requested they keep it in the finish drying room an extra 3-4 weeks.

User Info Menu

I'm interested in those guitars as well, though I've read a lot of mixed reviews. What I want to know is how it holds up volume-wise in a gypsy jam in a noisy bar with no amplification

User Info Menu

>>> Well Chris.. actually I was going to ask you about the top. I measured again and it's a full 1/4" thick. And yet, this thing is warm and rich with no hint that the top requires additional energy to make it go.

Hey, it happens if the wood has fairly low density, but good stiffness (not the same thing). But I am wondering how they came to decide upon this particular thickness.

Do note, however, that we could be really mistaking the thickness here due to the sound-hole, and for two possible reasons.

If they built and carved the arched top as many would, the top could thin considerably (like as much as 50%) out toward the rim/reflex.

We see this thinner area around F holes, while in this case we are looking at the thickest (possibly) part of this particular top due to the sound hole locale.

Also, they may have done some shaping based on the idea that the soundhole needed strength. From your pic, there is no soundhole bracing as one sees on flat tops.

I am guessing as to their thinking of course.

Chris

User Info Menu

Sexy...post a recording!

Quote Originally Posted by D.G.
    I'm interested in those guitars as well, though I've read a lot of mixed reviews. What I want to know is how it holds up volume-wise in a gypsy jam in a noisy bar with no amplification
    This would not be my first choice for that application though it gets loud when you drive it. Haven't had it long enough and don't have anything to compare it with, but I don't think this will do what a purpose built gypsy jazz guitar does. There are those that love them but they are made to drive the fundamental hard, dry, and loud. This has more harmonic content which for me is good. The sound, most similar to an acoustic archtop, but has something else that is difficult to describe. You might think me prone to hyperbole if I tried. After I've played it for awhile hopefully I can put my finger on it. For now I just find it's hard to put the thing down. Maybe I'll get a recording done and it will convey some of what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Spook410; 12-21-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PTChristopher
    >>> Well Chris.. actually I was going to ask you about the top. I measured again and it's a full 1/4" thick. And yet, this thing is warm and rich with no hint that the top requires additional energy to make it go.

Hey, it happens if the wood has fairly low density, but good stiffness (not the same thing). But I am wondering how they came to decide upon this particular thickness.

Do note, however, that we could be really mistaking the thickness here due to the sound-hole, and for two possible reasons.

If they built and carved the arched top as many would, the top could thin considerably (like as much as 50%) out toward the rim/reflex.

We see this thinner area around F holes, while in this case we are looking at the thickest (possibly) part of this particular top due to the sound hole locale.

Also, they may have done some shaping based on the idea that the soundhole needed strength. From your pic, there is no soundhole bracing as one sees on flat tops.

I am guessing as to their thinking of course.

Chris
    Interesting. I wonder what the physics are. On one hand the top is thinner where f holes typically on. On the other an f hole is closer to the rigid rim interface. This compared to a sound hole in a place where the top is thick. Thanks for your thoughts. Makes me wish I could talk to the designer.

User Info Menu

Congrats , beautiful looking guitar , hope it brings you a lifetime of joy .

User Info Menu

I really have to think more like Keira.

User Info Menu

I don't know much about acoustic guitar building but thick/stiff in the middle and thin/flexible around the edge that is attached to a stiff rim is basically how a speaker is designed. So I'm guessing it would maximize the area of the front that would vibrate in a uniform manner.

Oh, nice guitar btw

User Info Menu

Finally got it, ey Spook.

Really nice looking.

Congrats.

User Info Menu

>>> I don't know much about acoustic guitar building but thick/stiff in the middle and thin/flexible around the edge that is attached to a stiff rim is basically how a speaker is designed. So I'm guessing it would maximize the area of the front that would vibrate in a uniform manner.

Well a guitar top does act like a speaker in some ways. But it does not act like a speaker in terms of the overall movement of the "cone" at the low end of its frequency range.

A speaker can move forward/backward from the center. A guitar top does not.

A guitar top has many modes of vibration, but none involve the whole top moving forward and backward as a single motion.

You get lower notes vibrating the top in as few as two fairly large places (like the size of your hand), and higher notes vibrating the top in smaller subdivisions - eventually down to what amounts to a sort of two-dimensional ripple over much of the top.

As for the center being thicker, some of this is arguably for strength in a carved top.

On many pressed tops, the top is all one thickness.

On some Cremonese master violins the center was/is thinner.

It's all over the place.

The traditional Llloyd Lllloar archtop design as we know it has a hand carved spruce top that is most often thicker in the middle and at its thinnest out near the reflex just inboard of the rim.

If you look at how the top actually vibrates, this may not be anything at all like an optimal configuration.

It's weird; I tell ya,...

All in my opinion, a distant second (at best) to Keira's summary of the situation.

Chris
    Last edited by PTChristopher; 12-22-2012 at 06:44 AM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Very pretty Spook. Have you posted any recordings of it?

User Info Menu

She's a beauty Spook. That's one nice collection of guitars. And so affordable to boot. This one sounds like a winner to me. You say you can't put it down and that the sound is so different than the others. Well, you didn't want to duplicate the others! It's a different guitar with it's own sound. It's an addition to the collection. Enjoy her Spook and thanks for taking the point for us in buying these. And reporting to us your results.