The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Can anyone recommend me a P-90, preferably one that will fit in a regular humbucker slot. Really enjoying the tone Jim Hall gets out of his P-90 from his time with his 175, i realize one of those probably costs quite a few bills. Any help is appreciated.

Mitch

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

About the only thing you can get from Gibson is a P94 to fit a bucker slot. They run $120 to ~$145

I tried a pair in a used guitar and I wanted to buy the guitar, pull the pups and re-sell the guitar with HB's... but I'm too lazy for that nowadays :-)

Lots of aftermarket guys sell bucker single coils too

Ill look into that P-94. Also have been looking at these Kent Armstrong(I realize these aren't the hand wound ones), anyone familiar with these?
    * WD Music Products - P90 PICKUP (HUM. RETROFIT) BLACK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mitch_33
    Ill look into that P-94. Also have been looking at these Kent Armstrong(I realize these aren't the hand wound ones), anyone familiar with these?
    * WD Music Products - P90 PICKUP (HUM. RETROFIT) BLACK
    I have a mind to try the Armstrong pups too, they're 1/3 the price of Gibby's and others like Duncans.

You may want to look at GFS pups too. I have a few of them. One is a GFS soapbar P90 sized humbucker, the other is a tele bridge sized pup also a HB, both are exactly what I needed in the spots I put them in. They also have coil tapping available if you're inclined to get adventurouswith wiring.

User Info Menu

I would look at Pete Biltoft's pickups. He has several models that are based on the P90 but different kinds of casings - humbucker sized, and his SP90 Strat style pickups sound exactly like P90s. I have a guitar with his SP90s and and another guitar with original P90s and they sound pretty much the same. The cool thing about Pete is you can talk directly to him, and he will not sell you the pickups until he is dead certain they are exactly what you want. And his prices are quite reasonable for the quality he provides

Vintage Vibe Guitars

User Info Menu

I Second Pete Biltoft.

User Info Menu

Im having a custom archtop built by Steve Holst and Im planning to have him install Harmonic Design's z90 which are humbucker sized P90s. anyone here ever try them for jazz?

User Info Menu

Bare Knuckles Manhattan.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Lollar also makes a great sounding Charlie Christian pickup that fits in a humbucker route.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Bare Knuckles Manhattan.
    +1!

User Info Menu

The HB sized P90 are made by many manufacturers these days. Two of my favs have been mentioned (Lollars and Manhattans). Duncan makes the Phat Cat too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mitch_33
    Can anyone recommend me a P-90, preferably one that will fit in a regular humbucker slot. Really enjoying the tone Jim Hall gets out of his P-90 from his time with his 175, i realize one of those probably costs quite a few bills. Any help is appreciated.
    I'd look into the Seymour Duncan Phat Cat for $79. Looks positively reviewed here...
    Seymour Duncan SPH90-1n Phat Cat | Musician's Friend

Also see Retroman's mini-review of the Phat Cat (in his Eastman AR371) here ( https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...-needed-3.html ); his is the last post (#76) in the thread, plus there's pictures of it installed in post #75.
    Last edited by ooglybong; 12-20-2012 at 08:17 PM.

User Info Menu

It's been a while since I shopped P-90s and I don't know much about humbucker-sized ones. I do recall a difference between modern overwound ones, 50s P-90s, and 60s P-90s. I found that the Antiquities sounded the most natural and closest to a 50s sound. Could be just me, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Bare Knuckles Manhattan.
    interesting that they went with a metal cover. i like the idea but didn't care for their clips, though.

bg pups made a humbucker sized p90 that i very much enjoyed, but that's the only p90 i've seriously tried and it was a while ago. still, i feel it merits consideration: BG Pups Humbucker Sized P90s

User Info Menu

I have the P90 version and it sounds VERY good. I've always loved my old Les Paul P90s and always thought they were very jazzy but when I got my first archtop I decided to go heo old PAF way; when I got my second archtop I went the P90 way and despite all my expectations I think it beats the Stormy Mondays.

I mean they are both excellent but the P90 has less mud / boomy and it's fatter in the mids without having too much ice-pick. I will not change the Stormy Mondays because I appreciate diversity but if I had to choose just one I think I would go the P90 route. My next guitar will be a custom archtop, I think I will try the Blue Note P90. BK rules!

Thank you everyone for your replies. Im looking into them, unfortunately the Manhattan might be out of the price range, I am in Canada so it will cost quite a bit. The BG looks interesting, just listening to the clips now. Wish someone would play some jazz on one. The manhattan sure does sound great though.

User Info Menu

In the first three songs that's the Half-Note (P90 version, should sound the same) in a "real life" situation. Recorded in a rehearsal room with a Godin Kingoin, round strings, Roland Cube and a Zoom recorder.

Recorded fast, I am little ahead of the beat, but you can hear the sound of the pickup I guess. It's expensive but worth it in my opinion,