The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 217

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zigracer
    Gretsch pro lines are made in Japan at the Terada factory and have been since Fred Gretsch resurrected the brand. Electromatics are made in Korea. Gretsch guitars are great for jazz. I can't figure out the anti-Bigsby sentiment.
    Look at it another way as pro tailpiece, anti screws on top, metal roller bridge, extra weight, wanting to unconditionally stay in tune sentiment. Then add that SOME do not need or EVER want the trem effect. Does that sound believable? Well if not its certainly MY reasons for never having one. FYI I unscrew the arm from and install all 5 springs on strats too.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Take a look!

User Info Menu

I tried a g100ce few years ago.
    It was the best archtop, in this budget, available in my city.

User Info Menu

Dutch guitarist Anton Goudsmit plays Gretsches. He usually plays with a more modern and overdriven tone, but his Gretsches can sound pretty jazzy as well:

User Info Menu

He sounded amazing on his Gretsch Electromatic

User Info Menu

Some jazz on a Gretch

User Info Menu

George Van Eps played a Gretsch exclusively from the late 60's onward.

Last edited by va3ux; 03-25-2016 at 09:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Rune Gustafsson played a Gretsch too.

User Info Menu

If you are interested in a Gretsch the G6122-1959 is worth a look, it is based on Chet Atkins personal Gretsch that he recorded with for decades. 17" lower bout, 25.5" scale and 1.75" nut width make it great for finger style.

In 1959 Gretsch built a few guitars with these specs for Chet but this design was not put into production at the time, even the neck pickup was a one-off. After his death Chet's guitar was measured by Paul Yandell and the neck pickup re-created by TV Jones. This is a really special model, very comfortable and beautiful tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Look at it another way as pro tailpiece, anti screws on top, metal roller bridge, extra weight, wanting to unconditionally stay in tune sentiment. Then add that SOME do not need or EVER want the trem effect. Does that sound believable? Well if not its certainly MY reasons for never having one. FYI I unscrew the arm from and install all 5 springs on strats too.
    Although I understand your point, a Gretsch with a B6 Bigsby has no screws into the top. None of my Bigsby equipped Gretsch guitars have roller bridges. Also, a properly cut nut will keep your guitar in tune when you use the Bigsby. That said, I have three Gretsch guitars with Bigsbys and one beautiful solid spruce top Country Club with a standard tailpiece. I love the Club, but sometimes miss the Bigsby when I play Sleepwalk or get that trem effect when singing a song like Chris Isaak's Wicked Game. I know that those selections, especially Wicked Game are not jazz, but I like to fit them into a set, because I like the tunes. Just saying that the Bigsby gives me that flexibility. I will mostly leave the Club the way it is, because I like it. Sorry. Don't know how the pic got rotated.
    Attached Images Attached Images Jazz on a Gretsch Guitar?-img_1578-jpg 

User Info Menu

if i had to guess:

-non (jazz) traditional aesthetics
    -anti bigsby sentiment
    -brighter pickups than usual
    -little to no (jazz) hero worship
    -general boring-old-man-ness

of course, they are quite versatile, and, especially given the current aftermarket parts, can certainly be jazzed out if you like. warmer tv jones pups, wood or different alloy bridge material, cap/pot swap... even stock, judicious use of the tone switches and knobs can get you to a gretsch flavored variation of traditional sounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docdosco
    Peerless don't make any anymore. I don't know year the production stuff went to China, but it was 2000 something. Gretsch were also made in Japan. I just can't recall the factory. If they are still made in Japan, I think that is/was the higher end stuff. The budget stuff is still made in China, I believe.

When Gibson asked Peerless to relocate their factory to China in 2005 (which they didn't) and when Fender (Gretsch) took their work to China also, Peerless launched it's own line.

So I seem to recall....

Edit... There it is in another post, Terada in Japan
    Bit of confusion
    All the 5 series Electromatic Gretschs are made in Korea [corrected]. What factory? Who cares. Pretty decent guitars. Pickups are so so. But Gretsch Filtertrons are reasonably priced and a quick fix.
    The 6 and 7 series have been made in Japan since the FMIC deal. First Terada and now doesn't Fender have their own factory? Regardless, the Japanese Gretschs are better than the old vintage USA guitars by most accounts. They better be - they are not cheap guitars.

I had a G5120 that I swapped out the stock "Gretschbuckers" for real Filtertrons. Sounded and played great but a bit to bright and "twangy" for the jazz tones I was seeking.
    Last edited by DRS; 03-25-2016 at 03:55 PM.

User Info Menu

If I could find a 50s Gretsch Streamliner, I'd for sure try it for jazz.
    MD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    He sounded amazing on his Gretsch Electromatic

I think most of his recording was done on an Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent

User Info Menu

I think there are many great guitars that get overlooked because the name on the headstock isn't what is considered traditional or sexy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by va3ux
    George Van Eps played a Gretsch exclusively from the late 60's onward.

Pizzarelli and Van Eps likely used a Gretsch because it was the only production 7 string electric available @ the time
    Bucky dumped his when Benedetto made him a 7 string, Van Eps was probably too old to switch @ the end.

User Info Menu

The 5xxx series are made in Korea. Serial number starts with K for Korea. The 6xxx series start with J for Japan, followed by a T for Terada. Although all of the pro-line Gretsch guitars, save the custom shop are made at the Terada factory, they have during the FMIC era had the pro-lines made by two other factories in Japan, one of them being the Fuji Gen Gakki plant.

User Info Menu

Jazz on a Gretsch Guitar?-sdv44-jpg

User Info Menu

Like many said before, it's mostly the cosmetics, the look... Most Gretsches are just too flashy, there's too much going on. I used to play in rockabilly bands a lot, and that's where it belongs perfectly. Also, Brian Setzer is just too good for Gretsch's sake, the minute people see you pull out a Gretsch, they start talking about Brian and rockabilly. Funny, but true!

I used to hang out at Gretsch forum, and people just talk about country, rockabilly, and Chet Atkins all day, which is to say not a jazz crowd.

I still love Gretsches with Filtetrons though, jazz or not, it's incredible tone! Miss that Duo Jet I used to have... But on the other hand, Guild guitars is where it's at for me right now. Perfect for anything, and look just right!

User Info Menu

Doug Raney used one for a while too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Like many said before, it's mostly the cosmetics, the look... Most Gretsches are just too flashy, there's too much going on.
    Cosmetics??? Too flashy?

I've thought about a Roundup to hang on the wall as art - pure 50's "Country Kitsch".

Jazz on a Gretsch Guitar?-2400531822_alt_wlg_004-jpgJazz on a Gretsch Guitar?-2400531822_frt_wmd_001-png

User Info Menu

Reserved and polite jazz players are afraid to pickup a Gretsch because they might have a .... Psychobilly Freakout!!!

User Info Menu

George Van Eps seemed to get along fine with a Gretsch, and didn't let that extra string get in his way.

User Info Menu

Forgive a contrarian perspective here but...
    Had a Gretsch Country Gentleman back in the mid-70s. Second guitar I ever owned, and certainly the heaviest. Black leather pad on the back and all. Twang all day and all night. That's what I bought it for. But when I went back to school to study jazz, well, it just didn't make me look serious enough Plus it just twanged. Sold it to buy an ES-125...as the decades went by one guitar led to another and since going with 7-strings as my main guitar(s), I've had the opportunity to play two of the Gretsch Van Eps model (including one with the bizarre tuning-fork apparatus under the tailpiec). Just MHO, really, but I thought they were both dreadful. Poorly made and no tone. Not even a decent twang. Why GVE didn't stay with his Epi...same issue as Joe Pass playing his Ibanez sig model I suppose.