The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

What's the easiest and best way to set up a stereo amp situation with one guitar, such that one guitar's signals can be heard on 2 different amps at once?
    E.g. using a Henriksen and Twin at the same time?

What kind of special equipment does one require? Some sort of signal splitter? Thanks in advance for any information from anyone who may have already done this.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've done that using a stereo chorus pedal. When the chorus is not on it still spits the signal and sends to both amps. Bonus, you can activate the chorus too if you choose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I've done that using a stereo chorus pedal. When the chorus is not on it still spits the signal and sends to both amps. Bonus, you can activate the chorus too if you choose.
    it's as simple as that? Wow. Thanks. Not a fan of chorus, but if you can turn it off and it still works, that's excellent. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Your going to need some kind of ground lift or your going to get hum .
    This is a good one

User Info Menu

Not a chorus fan either but a Stereo Delay -- just a bit -- would make your rig sound huge!

User Info Menu

i own one of these:

A/B Box and ABY Box Guitar Foot Pedal Systems For Musicians by Startouch Pedals

i've also been looking at these:

ABY Pedal (LED Version)

i use it to run and taste test my tech 21, vox ac15 and newly acquired vht special 12/20.

User Info Menu

If you're willing to spend a little for quality, go for the Lehle Little Dual:

The Lehle Little Dual is the Lehle Dual SGoS's little sister, a maximum signal-fidelity amp switcher for two amps. Both amps are activated simultaneously using the left footswitch, while the right is used to switch back and forth between them. High-intensity LEDs make it easy to read off switching state A or B, or A and B, even under high-power spots.
    The centerpiece of the Lehle Little Dual is its high-end Lehle LTHZ transformer, which electrically isolates output A from output B, making history of hum loops - permanently! The Lehle Little Dual features a gold-plated-contact phase inverter and a gold-plated-contact ground switch. The two inputs can also be routed in stereo to outputs A and B, if you use the stereo signal of an effect unit as the input, for example. This also makes it possible to route instruments equipped with two pick-ups, including many acoustic and hybrid guitars, and also double basses, via two amplifier systems - with no complications. These systems can be operated either in alternation or in parallel - without hum, and without sound losses, needless to say! The Lehle Little Dual - small, but so utterly effective!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B

The Lehle Little Dual is the Lehle Dual SGoS's little sister, a maximum signal-fidelity amp switcher for two amps. Both amps are activated simultaneously using the left footswitch, while the right is used to switch back and forth between them. High-intensity LEDs make it easy to read off switching state A or B, or A and B, even under high-power spots.
    The centerpiece of the Lehle Little Dual is its high-end Lehle LTHZ transformer, which electrically isolates output A from output B, making history of hum loops - permanently! The Lehle Little Dual features a gold-plated-contact phase inverter and a gold-plated-contact ground switch. The two inputs can also be routed in stereo to outputs A and B, if you use the stereo signal of an effect unit as the input, for example. This also makes it possible to route instruments equipped with two pick-ups, including many acoustic and hybrid guitars, and also double basses, via two amplifier systems - with no complications. These systems can be operated either in alternation or in parallel - without hum, and without sound losses, needless to say! The Lehle Little Dual - small, but so utterly effective!
    +1 :-)

User Info Menu

Lots of delay and chorus pedals have stereo out. Many multi-effect units do also, but it sounds like your don't need a ton of effect. Behringer has a $40 reverb that has stereo outputs.

Do you want stereo or just the tone of the two amps simultaneously? If you're looking to put an amp on each side of a stage you may still want some hint of modulation, reverb, or delay so that there is an audible difference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B

$230! There's more to this bugger than I thought.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by junkergeorge
    +1 :-)
    OK, I just ordered this. The clincher was a Kurt Rosenwinkel youtube video where he exclaimed, "count on Lehle for all your signal switching needs".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    OK, I just ordered this. The clincher was a Kurt Rosenwinkel youtube video where he exclaimed, "count on Lehle for all your signal switching needs".
    Yup. If that's not enough, here's another that will help ease your mind. ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    What's the easiest and best way to set up a stereo amp situation with one guitar, such that one guitar's signals can be heard on 2 different amps at once?
    I'm not sure I completely understand this stuff.
    As far as I understand a stereo amp set up does not mean just splitting the signal in two copies and sending each one in two different amps.
    That's simply using two amps and a reinforcement of the overall volume. A stereo set up (I think) has to do with using two amps AND some stereo effects so that you can hear those effects in different amount between an amp and the other, or things like this...( I think..)

User Info Menu

There is a nice discussion here, at the Marshall Forum.
    Not all the people agree, but I understand that, in order to have a Stereo effect, the two signals that leave the splitting box and feed two different amps, must be different (big or small difference, one clean and the other dirty, one dry and the other wet etc).
    If the two signals that leave the box are identical, you'll just have a Dual Mono, even if feeding different amps can give a nice effect.
    What does running stereo mean? - Marshall Amp Forum

User Info Menu

You could also use a JamMan Stereo and have the added benefit of a looper when needed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    I'm not sure I completely understand this stuff.
    As far as I understand a stereo amp set up does not mean just splitting the signal in two copies and sending each one in two different amps.
    That's simply using two amps and a reinforcement of the overall volume. A stereo set up (I think) has to do with using two amps AND some stereo effects so that you can hear those effects in different amount between an amp and the other, or things like this...( I think..)
    There are different ways to go about what you're asking, dealing with different issues in amplification and tone. Here are some basic categories to help you further develop your understanding. This can get into deep waters in some ways, so don't worry about getting all of it right away. A friend wrote out these categories for me. They have served as a good starting point in my growth in this area.

1. Multi Amp set up - Eric Johnson may not have been the very first, but he was close, and no one's done it better. Landau did it, Carl Verheyen does it.

Here is a clip of Eric Johnson running stereo Fender amps and then switching to others. The sound at the beginning is what I think you've been asking about. His delay is split into two Fender Twins. Sounds big, spacious, and lovely, no?

2. 3-4 stage pre-amp, foot swtcheable, in a head, or as part of a rack rig - Landau did this too, Steve Lukather etc.

Here is a clip of Michael Landau playing live with this kind of setup.

3. Pedals from a clean amp. You start with a pristine clean tone. Then break it into 3 tones. Clean, dirty, distorted/lead.

Landau does this exceptionally well. Here's a clip of him playing through clean Fender Deville iii's and changing tones with his pedalboard while the amp stays clean.

Start exploring those categories and you'll have a better understanding for the +'s and -'s of running your stereo delay (a great option) into to clean amps (note: this won't work if you use the amp's gain channel. You'd have to run the delay into the effect loop for each amp then.) One thing to note though. When you just run the stereo signal, like the Eric Johnson, it can dominate your tone in a particular way. A lot of players will opt for a wet/dry/wet or even a simple wet/dry setup so that one amp is always without effects and the other(s) are the ones with the effects. This gives you a better balance and blend. It can seem more spacious or big. Have fun!

All the best!
    Last edited by junkergeorge; 12-14-2012 at 12:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Just get on eBay and find anold pedal that's super queit like a DG Stomp or a J Station. These have stereo outputs (two jacks out) and with just a little Digital Delay, Reverb, and the lightest of chorus you are there. Sounds like you are playing in St Pauls Catheral, instead of Cafe Nero! If you already have the two amps you can get this sorted for about £65 on eBay.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by woyvel
    You could also use a JamMan Stereo and have the added benefit of a looper when needed.
    I tried that with a Jamman Stereo and two amps: a tube amp and a solid state amp. I get some noise when both amps are connected.

User Info Menu

My signal: Guitar-->Boosta Grande-->Line 6 M13 (stereo out)-->JamMan Stereo--> Amps. No noise problems.