The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

I like to keep all accessories I'll need at a most gigs in one bag so I can just pick it up and go. Here's what I have in it:

- extension cord
    - power strip
    - cables, a couple long and some short
    - a few pedals and power supplies
    - tuner
    - guitar strap

That's usually plenty to get through most gigs. I've just been carting this stuff around in a backpack but that's not all that well suited for carrying these things. It's also doesn't have a good space if I need to bring sheet music.

What is everyone else using as a bag? And any other essentials you bring along?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use a courier style bag to carry similar stuff. The courier bag format is not as good as a backpack for bulky stuff, but maybe better for books/sheet music Everything I need seems to fit. I add extra strings/picks and a works-no-matter-what tuning fork. Also, if I have a guitar bag on my back, I like something I can carry with a handle.

User Info Menu

I use older luggage w/ wheels and handle from a thrift store for $5-10 bucks.

User Info Menu

I use the Mono M80. I fit everything you list, but I only use two small pedals (tuner and reverb). Couldn't be happier with it.

User Info Menu

I have two things. Back in the 70's men carried small leather bags with all sorts of compartments they were about 7"x5"x2" I have one that I use for strings, tools, slides, picks and other guitar related things. For the few pedals and cords and etc I have a bongo case. You know the fiber board cases with web straps drummers use this is a small one for a set of bongos. I've other guitarist use a case for a small tom drum, but those are round.

User Info Menu

Laptop computer bag.

User Info Menu

I have a laptop style bag all of that goes into...including my amplifier head.

If I used pedals I might need more room, but I'm not into those.

User Info Menu

I use a 27" long duffle bag. I have everything I may need in it. Guitar stand, music stand, cables, extention cord, tools, strings, and music.
    It has a shoulder strap so i can carry it on my shoulder, guitar with left hand, Henriksen with right hand.

User Info Menu

Just a regular holdall or 'grip' do you call it
    over the shoulder with a 4 way mains ,
    powercord and spare , 1/4" lead and spare
    a side pocket with all the little stuff in it .. you know
    a realbook and a few sheets
    I also now pack a tablet with irealb on it too
    Guitar in gigbag over shoulder and AER in hand

Good to go

User Info Menu

At the moment i live in johannesburg south africa and gig here , so day temperatures in summer peak , and mostly thanks to early call times for gigs have to move gear in the heat of the day, so i started using canvas cooler bags with insolated foil to help keep food and drinks cool , and the work well most of my gear even my zt acc lb has one , keeps gear cool in heat and long car journeys in heat, and bags come in all sizes so very useful and practical for african conditions

and i carry a spare of everything to gigs

in fact just packed the car for todays gig ,

User Info Menu

I've got a gigbag with a lot of pockets, so I can get strap, cables, picks, tools, iPad and kitchen sink in that. The tuner is built into the amp (now I've read the instructions - d'oh!). Don't have any pedals. Tonight's gig is at a restaurant, so we'll get fed and watered by the owner.

If the temperature ever rises above 4 degrees C and if it stops raining here, the cooler bag is an excellent idea for outdoor gigs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    Laptop computer bag.

+1! Me too, the very few effects that I use (phaser, TS, delay, wah) are mounted on a small board that fits snuggly into a laptop bag, together with an AC/DC adapter, 2 guitar cables and a 4-socket extension power cable. But for a jazz-gig I only take a guitar and a chord....
    Last edited by Little Jay; 12-07-2012 at 10:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    But for a jazz-gig I only take a guitar and a chord....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chipmonk78
    .... if the venue has an amp of course

User Info Menu

Of course. But I have to use more than one chord, otherwise the sax player gets bored and starts misbehaving.....

User Info Menu

I use a military mortar box that fits my Line 6 M13 and accessories nicely. It's a very solid wooden crate. It's also cool because it has the "DANGEROUS" and "EXPLOSIVES" markings still on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chipmonk78
    Of course. But I have to use more than one chord, otherwise the sax player gets bored and starts misbehaving.....
    Hahaha, didn't get my mistake untill now... sorry, I'm not a native English speaker... I should have said guitar cable... The Dutch word for cable sounds like chord, you see.
    Last edited by Little Jay; 12-07-2012 at 09:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by woyvel
    I use a military mortar box that fits my Line 6 M13 and accessories nicely. It's a very solid wooden crate. It's also cool because it has the "DANGEROUS" and "EXPLOSIVES" markings still on it.
    That is cool indeed! I guess you carry your Tommy gun in your guitar case!

User Info Menu

Use use what I've heard called a "train case". They can be had for less than 15 bucks, if you buy something from the 60's or 70's. Really secure and rugged. I keep 3 pedals, various chords, hand held recorder, batteries, set list, that sort of stuff in it. Look for old Samsonite or American Tourister cases.

User Info Menu

When I was in a working band, I used a thing like a gym bag, but I was carrying mic cables, mics, speaker cables and whatnot.

These days, when I'm on guitar, I have the case, an amp, and a Gator-style zipper bag that has a Line 6 Floor Pod Plus in it + power cord and hookup cables. I also carry along a small A-frame stand.

With bass, it's a gigbag with the bass (the hard case won't fit in my Mustang), and a lightweight bass amp (either an 18-lb Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0-10t or a 13-lb Mesa/Boogie Walkabout head with two 16-lb G-B 10ts, depending on venue). All cables and the tuner go in the gig bag. Of course, add a small stand as above.

My favorite is when I'm called to play harmonica: I carry my Hohner case and sometimes a Green Bullet mic, if necessary.

User Info Menu

Mono case for me, best case ever.