The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

After years of using the Thomastik GB round set, I thought I'd try their Bebop set. I was very surprised when I opened them to find that the set starting with 12 has a plain 20 G. Anyone else find this odd? That plain G is really jangley sounding.

WS

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    After years of using the Thomastik GB round set, I thought I'd try their Bebop set. I was very surprised when I opened them to find that the set starting with 12 has a plain 20 G. Anyone else find this odd? That plain G is really jangley sounding.

WS
    I just bought at a set like that two days ago for my Collings.
    I was actually pleasantly surprised to see the unwound G. I agree that it sounded a little twangy at first, but I didn't have any issues with it later.

User Info Menu

I just got a set over the weekend and the plain G if fine by me. i'm just put off that the .12 set feels like .11 or lighter. As someone else said with these strings need to go up a gauge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I just got a set over the weekend and the plain G if fine by me. i'm just put off that the .12 set feels like .11 or lighter. As someone else said with these strings need to go up a gauge.
    This is exactly why I got them.

User Info Menu

WS
    I've been using a similar set (12 to 52) with a plain G from Webstrings.com and really like them. And at $2.99 per set you can't beat the price.

User Info Menu

I always order the wound G as a single and substitute it for the unwound. I have a lovely collection of unused unwound G's...

User Info Menu

If you have to play round wounds why pay that money for three strings? It's not as if buying strings is a once in a life time purchase! I've been using Ti's for years, now I use Dean Markley aka Mark Knopfler.......L.G.

Which brings up another question: Is the TI GB set the same kind of strings as the TI Bebops, just in a particular gauge set?

User Info Menu

Which brings up another question: Is the TI GB set the same kind of strings as the TI Bebops, just in a particular gauge set?
    This is my first set of TI's I've been D'Addario user for LONG time. I kind of like the TI's but due to the gauge difference I can't give a definite answer.

User Info Menu

I've never tried TIs but I'm tempted to try the flat wound TI Swings. I usually use a 12 set (D'Addario) on the guitar in question, so should I bump up to Swing 13s? I don't mind 13s, but will this be about the same tension/feel as the D'Addario 12s?

User Info Menu

my question is what's the difference btw the Ti george benson's an the jazz swings. same gauge.?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I've never tried TIs but I'm tempted to try the flat wound TI Swings. I usually use a 12 set (D'Addario) on the guitar in question, so should I bump up to Swing 13s? I don't mind 13s, but will this be about the same tension/feel as the D'Addario 12s?
    I've never used their flatwounds so don't know if they feel difference like the Bebops do.

User Info Menu

WS
    Yeah I don't know what they were thinking. I had fitted the 3 bass strings and then discovered the plain 3rd. I went into a rage (for me that means raising my eye brows) reached for the wire cutters and cut all the strings off and threw the lot in the bin.
    I wish they would state clearly on the pack that there is a plain G string in the set.
    This would avoid plain G shock syndrome which can lead to wire cutter rage.

User Info Menu

Yes, I'd agree that a set of TI 13 flats have about the same tension as a set of D'Addario 12 flats - the D'Addario have that much more tension. I'm talking feel here, I don't know the actual tensions as listed in pounds or kilograms.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rustic
    Yes, I'd agree that a set of TI 13 flats have about the same tension as a set of D'Addario 12 flats - the D'Addario have that much more tension. I'm talking feel here, I don't know the actual tensions as listed in pounds or kilograms.
    I always heard TI's were lighter tension, but never thought it would be to the point of needing to go up a gauge to compensate. I know TI says they use a lighter core, and playing the Bebops the windings on the wound strings are much finer. Oh well not sure what I'll do next they are expensive strings to experiment with.

User Info Menu

Great strings!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    Yeah I don't know what they were thinking. I had fitted the 3 bass strings and then discovered the plain 3rd. I went into a rage (for me that means raising my eye brows) reached for the wire cutters and cut all the strings off and threw the lot in the bin.
    I wish they would state clearly on the pack that there is a plain G string in the set.
    This would avoid plain G shock syndrome which can lead to wire cutter rage.
    Ha! Wire cutter rage.

I was also very disappointed at first with the plain G - I have a Guild X500 with a fixed compensated wooden bridge. In addition to sounding wrong (for me of course), it totally threw off the intonation.

And I bought two sets. After sitting on the second set for awhile wondering to do with it, I put them on my Ibanez AS73 semihollow, which has a normal adjustable bridge. Now THAT guitar sounds great with them. I think I'm hooked. I might even put a set on my Tele!!

But it is still annoying that they don't really mention the plain 3rd - you only discover it after you open up the box and put them on!

Vince

(first post by the way!! Woohoo!)