The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blimthorpe
    same thing exactly. Opened the case and it was all broken.
    did you have any luck with Eastman ?
    Contact Eastman customer support. They were excellent when I had a tailpiece fail a few years ago. Eastman had a problem with hinged tailpieces failing. When my AR810CE’s tailpiece failed they sent me a non-hinged one for no charge. I installed it myself.
    Last edited by KirkP; 04-14-2021 at 11:05 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    ES125er, contact Steve Holst. ....
    Just get a decent one made, or buy a better quality metal tailpiece, made by ABM. Not that hard to find.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    ES125er, contact Steve Holst. It's about $100 for a cocobolo or ebony tailpiece with a metal bell brass bracket.
    Hi just been reading your info on Eastman Tail piece and Brass Bracket , I have the same problem. How can I contact the Steve Holst you mentioned am in th UK Regards Cliff

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Wolf
    Hi just been reading your info on Eastman Tail piece and Brass Bracket , I have the same problem. How can I contact the Steve Holst you mentioned am in th UK Regards Cliff
    I contacted Eastman via their support link. They kindly sent mea new tailpiece for my guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blimthorpe
    same thing exactly. Opened the case and it was all broken.
    did you have any luck with Eastman ?
    contacted Eastman thru web support. That sent me a new tailpiece.
    Very good support imho.

User Info Menu

According to Eastman part no longer available

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Contact Eastman customer support. They were excellent when I had a tailpiece fail a few years ago. Eastman had a problem with hinged tailpieces failing. When my AR810CE’s tailpiece failed they sent me a non-hinged one for no charge. I installed it myself.
    +1 I had exactly this same experience with the same guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Wolf
    According to Eastman part no longer available
    Are they still making El Reys? If so, there's gotta be a new tailpiece, right? Probably you want the new one.

User Info Menu

Eastman is still making ElRey models and the tailpiece is a non-hinged type for at least since my 2014. Contact Eastman directly. Good company with good after service.

User Info Menu

Making lemonade from lemons: I used the snapped-off stub in the case of my 'new' ER-0 to indulge my curiousity about the Solomon Phidelity tailpiece.

It works well. Simple project with nothing to lose -- a broken part, a sharp drill bit and a file to mill off the sharp edges.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Making lemonade from lemons: I used the snapped-off stub in the case of my 'new' ER-0 to indulge my curiousity about the Solomon Phidelity tailpiece.
    That’s clever, innovative, and fascinating, Sam. The only thing that struck me as a problem is that the plate seems a bit short to stay stable with 180 to 200 pounds of collective force trying to lever those screws out. The top of the binding is a fulcrum, and if they get even a tiny bit loose, loosening them further will be easier and progressive.

I assume those are long screws. But the upper two appear to go through the binding and into the top. Penetration of both the binding and the top may become a problem leading to separation of binding, top, and/or side over time. I’d watch that closely and check the screws frequently. If they do get a bit easier to tighten further, it could be from distortion of the wood around them or slight compression of the wood or binding under them. I would not retighten them, because the process will continue. If they feel easier to tighten, I’d go back to the original style TP.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    The only thing that struck me as a problem is that the plate seems a bit short to stay stable with 180 to 200 pounds of collective force trying to lever those screws out. The top of the binding is a fulcrum, and if they get even a tiny bit loose, loosening them further will be easier and progressive.
    No argument here, but it's only a fulcrum if it isn't flat.
    So far -- three days in -- so good.

I assume those are long screws. But the upper two appear to go through the binding and into the top.
    They're drilled at a tilt and are intended to bite into the tailblock.
    But yes, that is certainly an Achilles heal.

Penetration of both the binding and the top may become a problem leading to separation of binding, top, and/or side over time. I’d watch that closely and check the screws frequently. If they do get a bit easier to tighten further, it could be from distortion of the wood around them or slight compression of the wood or binding under them. I would not retighten them, because the process will continue. If they feel easier to tighten, I’d go back to the original style TP.
    Very sound advice!
    If that looks like it might be starting to happen I will drill some more holes which definitely hit the tailblock.

Thank you again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    ... But yes, that is certainly an Achilles heal. ...
    I see what you did there.
    Attached Images Attached Images Eastman El Rey broken tailpiece-indian-rosewood-medium-jumbo-guitar-tail-piece-close-up1-jpg Eastman El Rey broken tailpiece-solomon-tp-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 12-19-2022 at 06:35 PM.