The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

hey jazz'ers out there.
    i have a little question for you.
    i am gonna buy a new amp soon and i have a Fender mustang III/3 on my mind. I play a lot of different music genres but is this amp good for jazz music?

i will have a Ibanez AF75TDG and a silvertone REVOLVER guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I played one whdn they first came out...had an irritating digital "fizz" on the tail end of notes...i think they've fixed this, but I've since written them off...too many amps, not enough time.

For modelers, I still like the roland cubes best. If I were in the market for a dedicated jazz amp on a budget, I might check out the Ibanez Wholetone...and a used polytone is in this range too...a very specific sound though...

User Info Menu

I mostly play an Mustang iv in a cover band. I think it is great and sounds really good. Really easy to use and switch sounds. In my book the mustangs are head and shoulders above the cubes. Of course, mostly if you like Fenderish sounds ....

User Info Menu

if you like the mustangs give the super champ x2 a try. has the modeling of a mustang with power tube output. pretty nice for around 300 bucks on sale.

cheers

User Info Menu

Mustang III would be great for someone in a cover band because of the effects modeling, although it does tend towards various levels of distortion. You can get an acceptable jazz tone, but nothing amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I played one whdn they first came out...had an irritating digital "fizz" on the tail end of notes...i think they've fixed this, but I've since written them off...too many amps, not enough time.

For modelers, I still like the roland cubes best. If I were in the market for a dedicated jazz amp on a budget, I might check out the Ibanez Wholetone...and a used polytone is in this range too...a very specific sound though...
    I love my Mustang III, but there IS a fizz at the very tail end of notes, some patches worse than others it seems. Sometimes it's fine at first when new... and then it eventually seems to develop (like mine recently did). 'Bugs lots of guys, but honestly, it's not all that bad unless you're listening for it—then it'll probably drive ya crazy. (There's a thread miles long over at the Fender Forum. There are even samples posted over at YouTube. Search 'Mustang Fizz', etc.) I dunno if this condition has, in fact, been fixed at this point, and Fender has been repeatedly denounced for neither coming all that clean about the entire issue or supporting it with warrantee clams, etc. (They don't.)

Therefore, especially for most quieter jazz, I'd probably have to recommend to stay away from this *amp* series. IMHO. (See below...) With that being said, while I have other amps for jazz, for rock and fusion stuff, I still happen to love my fizzy Mustang III if for nothing more than it being a great, easy-to-use Swiss Army Knife of sounds and effects all rolled up in a light-weight 1x12 combo. Lots of fun as my living room practice amp that could easily serve serious duty at any jam session. (NOTE: If you're thinking about it at all, the MIII is head-and-shoulders better sounding with a superior GUI and is vastly superior to my brother's MI or my son's MII amps. Definitely worth the $100 difference, esp. if you want a really good rock/fusion amp for playing out live.)

With all that in mind, the fizz issue seems to somehow be connected with the power amp section of the combos because the *fizz-less* Mustang Floor™ is like an MIII identical-sounding preamp in a solid pedalboard with expression pedal that's nicely programmable (much like the Boss GT-8), with the same exact brain/feature set. (BONUS: It also adds in an extra *non-modeling* preset if you don't want a Fender or Marshall-like tone stack emulated.) Again, most importantly, on the Mustang Floor™, there is NO FIZZ. And it sounds great going to either a combo Power Amp In or straight to the board with its XLR output (although I haven't tried that yet). (NOTE: Most dealers just dropped the price on the Floor from $299 to $199.)

Yeah, I concur with Mr. B here regarding the Cubes and Polytones. And for just a little more money than a Mustang III, you can order the Wholetone, a great jazz-only amp. (Really, just jazz. And FX pedals need not apply.) IMHO, that will definitely do 'the' tone for ya. (See other threads here for more discussion of the Wholetone.) Unfortunately, it's almost never sold in stores, so just get it from the Fiend with a coupon sale, and give it a tryout at home with their 45-day return policy. YMMV, but I definitely ended up keeping mine.

Sorry about my usual rambling. Best of luck on your search!

User Info Menu

I have a II, and think its a great amp. I play clean, 85% of the time on a Deluxe or Twim amp, no fizz, its sounds great, very nice jazz tone. For playing with dirt, the Vox model is really good as well.

Last weekend I played with some people and didn't take a amp, plugged into a a wonderful Fender Deluxe on site, and though it sounded very good, it wasn't anywhere near head and shoulders above the Mustang.

Many players on the Telecaster forum report the new III's don't have the fizz, I'm thinking of getting one for Christmas.

User Info Menu

Owning both a Mustang III and a Roland Cube 80 XL I would definitely choose the Roland over the Mustang, it's just a better sounding amp.

User Info Menu

Just acquired a Mustang 2. Good tone and very programable.

User Info Menu

thanks for the answers.
    i am gonna go with fender mustang 3.

User Info Menu

I have a Deluxe 90, which I think is a very similar amp, but without the modeling. It's been a good all-around amp, it's lightweight and the price was certainly right.

It's not the best amp for any one thing, but it's acceptably good for everything. It's a good amp to take when you'll be playing an array of styles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

I just returned a brand new Cube 80xl for this problem you describe as a "fizz" on the tail end of notes. I tried everything I could think of to rememdy this obnoxious sound, but nothing worked. Even on the clean JC channel with NO effects, this fizz sound was present. I have a Roland Cube 20x, and this a pretty good little practice amp for practicing/recording, so I thought the 80XL would be good also. The one I had may have been a lemon, but I'm not really interested at this point in trying another.

I'm thinking of purchasing a Fender Blues Delux Reissue 40W.
    Last edited by Smooth; 12-15-2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: clarity

User Info Menu

@ Mr Beaumont
    If I were in the market for a dedicated jazz amp on a budget, I might check out the Ibanez Wholetone
    I second this!!! 100% this is probably the best deal for a low budget good sounding SS combo

@billymac
    if you like the mustangs give the super champ x2 a try. has the modeling of a mustang with power tube output. pretty nice for around 300 bucks on sale.
    imho not worth....

User Info Menu

The Blues Deluxe is a great amp. The tweed ones look cool and the clean channel keeps clean. they're about £400 on Fleabay. The other channel works for classic rock, but you may need pedals if metal is your thing. And a weightlifting belt.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peterpanico
    @ Mr Beaumont
    I second this!!! 100% this is probably the best deal for a low budget good sounding SS combo.
    IMO, you should definitely try to check it out. Most likely you'll have to order it since it's much too niche a market for stores to physically carry it in stock. (Use MF's 45-day return policy.) Well worth the money, even if to only own it as a second amp/tonality alternative.
    I love mine, regardless of the money, in fact. (BTW, note that it will not take pedals at all.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chipmonk78
    The Blues Deluxe is a great amp. The tweed ones look cool and the clean channel keeps clean. they're about £400 on Fleabay. The other channel works for classic rock, but you may need pedals if metal is your thing. And a weightlifting belt.
    I'm looking forward to trying one these out at my local GC. Fenders are a little on the pricey side, but hey, if they sound good and last a long time, this would be a good investment.