The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

That's the nicest one I've seen. Due to the extra headstock binding alone. Thanks for checking into it Philco.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    That's the nicest one I've seen. Due to the extra headstock binding alone. Thanks for checking into it Philco.
    I hadn't examined that NY'er closely. Clearly it's produced by the same company as that D'Aquisto model. I prefer the tailpiece of the Vestax model. Although the tailpiece on this model is more authentic to the real Excel...and the MIK model.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    I just wrote to Roger (Archtopdream) and he said:

Both guitars were made in Japan, D'Aquisto was made in 2008 and the D'Angelico 2010.
    What company made those guitars, especially the D'Angelico? Like I said before the only thing that bothers me about the Vestax one (and for some reason, it just irks me) is the lack of binding. It definitely doesn't affect the playability but I like the way the extra binding looks. It's just my goofy sense of taste.

User Info Menu

2bornotbop,thanks for showing me that info I hadn't seen it. Hot Ford Coupe, as 2bop was kind to show us a description in an ad off of Ebay telling the story of these guitars. I attempted to include the address in the letter but couldn't so look at 2bops' a few responses ago.He has it in that response. Scroll down after the ad. The writer talks of the new ones being built in Japan having carved tops. I wrote to him for more info,hope he replies.

User Info Menu

The Japanese D'Aquisto's are manufactured by Aria. Here is info about them from Aria's site: The Official D'Aquisto USA Website
    Keith

User Info Menu

Here's the text in entirety from that Japanese archtop:

"Some clarification: This D'A was made in the same factory, by the same people, the same way, as the Vestax guitars. There is no such thing as a Vestax D'A, they simply distributed the Nagoya guitars for a while. This guitar was made after Vestaz was stopped by lawsuit from distributing them. The same Nagoya guitars continued to be sold without the Vestax involvement.

From rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz/2007-08/msg01655.html

"
    Vestax is not a guitarmanufacturer. They never have been. They are a distributor, and they
    distrubuted and marketed, not manufactured, the D'Angelico guitars.
    All the Japanese-made D'Angelico guitars have always been made in the
    "Terada" factory in in Nagoya, Japan. There was some sort of dispute
    between D'Angelico Guitars of America and Vestax, and therefore Vestax
    stopped distributing DAs in the US, however, the Terada factory has
    continued to manufacture them and they have been available in Japan,
    through Vestax, the entire time they were unavailable in the US.

D'Angelico Guitars of America apparently has a new distributor and is
    now selling the guitars again, however, they are still being made in
    the same factory, presumably by the same people, as they always have
    been. The main difference is that the new ones supposedly have carved
    tops. I keep seeing auctions on ebay touting their guitars as "Vestax-
    made", which is pretty meaningless."

User Info Menu

Well, I went to You Tube and punched in D'angelico NY-2 and there they were. With Japanese sub titles. At a Namm type show. Perhaps there is a European distributor? Maybe J Hale might know more. Anyway it seems like we've worn out a simple NGD thread with all of this. I here by thank you all,good hunting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Here's the text in entirety from that Japanese archtop:

"Some clarification: This D'A was made in the same factory, by the same people, the same way, as the Vestax guitars. There is no such thing as a Vestax D'A, they simply distributed the Nagoya guitars for a while. This guitar was made after Vestaz was stopped by lawsuit from distributing them. The same Nagoya guitars continued to be sold without the Vestax involvement.

From rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz/2007-08/msg01655.html

"
    Vestax is not a guitarmanufacturer. They never have been. They are a distributor, and they
    distrubuted and marketed, not manufactured, the D'Angelico guitars.
    All the Japanese-made D'Angelico guitars have always been made in the
    "Terada" factory in in Nagoya, Japan. There was some sort of dispute
    between D'Angelico Guitars of America and Vestax, and therefore Vestax
    stopped distributing DAs in the US, however, the Terada factory has
    continued to manufacture them and they have been available in Japan,
    through Vestax, the entire time they were unavailable in the US.

D'Angelico Guitars of America apparently has a new distributor and is
    now selling the guitars again, however, they are still being made in
    the same factory, presumably by the same people, as they always have
    been. The main difference is that the new ones supposedly have carved
    tops. I keep seeing auctions on ebay touting their guitars as "Vestax-
    made", which is pretty meaningless."
    Thanks Greg. That explanation is a huge help. It's interesting how someone decided to change the look of the headstock and make the guitars more true to the originals. It doesn't really matter whether or not it has the Excel tailpiece. I'm sure J.D. put a bunch of them on New Yorkers or replaced some NYer tailpieces with them also. If the tops are carved, I wonder if the back and sides are still laminated. It really wouldn't make any difference to me in the long run. When Vestax was still distributing them, they did make a custom that had a carved top instead of the pressed one. I have no idea how much of a difference there was.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    Well, I went to You Tube and punched in D'angelico NY-2 and there they were. With Japanese sub titles. At a Namm type show. Perhaps there is a European distributor? Maybe J Hale might know more. Anyway it seems like we've worn out a simple NGD thread with all of this. I here by thank you all,good hunting.
    Complete w/ DeArmond 1100's!

User Info Menu

Ah,Camera batteries going but,had to answer your tease. Complete with DeArmond 1100,1000 and FHC.

User Info Menu

Wait a minute. Is that one of the repros or is that an original. If that's a repro, it's the absolute best I've ever seen hands down. If it's a real one, you're one lucky dude to have that. (That is if you own it.) Ya gotta love those DeArmond pickups. I swear by them.

User Info Menu

And here is the Vestax site

D'AngelicobVestax

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Complete w/ DeArmond 1100's!

Man I would love to play one of those.

User Info Menu

That's my 91' Triggs made DA ll. One of two 18"s that I know of. The other was a dark red 17".I also owned that one and stupidly let it go. I've had those pick ups for about twenty years and haven't put them on anything yet. I know ,I should use them or let them go to someone who will. But they're still waiting for that grail that I just can't seem to find.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    And here is the Vestax site

D'AngelicobVestax
    Mystery solved. Thanks, Philco for that link. Apparently, it looks like the guitar for sale is the NYL-1, with the NYL-4 tailpiece. It does not have the carat at the end of the fingerboard. It also was supposed to have more binding on the headstock and was the top of the line instrument. I'll be able to sleep tonight.