The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15
    Heya, folks. I'm hoping that your superior tech knowledge will be able to help me.

I've got an Ibanez Artcore, which I'm pretty happy with, but it needs some upgrades. I'm eventually going to get new pickups, but at the moment I'm more aiming for a Bigsby style tremolo, a tune-o-matic style roller bridge, and locking tuners.

The biggest issue here is that I don't know which locking tuners will fit my headstock- overall, I've rather not have to drill more holes in the headstock than necessary. My guitar is an Ibanez Artcore model AGS83B. Can any of you folks point me towards a good set of locking tuners that will fit it?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Those lovely Jingho tuning machines are most commonly based on Gotoh, themselves based on Grover.

Check out Sperzel: Sperzel - World's Finest Guitar Machine Heads or Schaller locking tuning machines: STEWMAC.COM : Specification drawings for Schaller Locking Guitar Machines .

User Info Menu

Only ones I've tried are the Sperzel's that came on my Hamer 'Tele'. They work really well and make string changing much easier. I think locking tuners may generally tend to be heavier than non-locking ones, though, so if your guitar is already neck heavy they may not be a good idea. (On the other hand, they may offset the added weight of a Bigsby nicely.)

User Info Menu

I like Sperzel's but you will certainly have to drill holes to use those.

First you have to know what you've got on there. Some tuners have the drilled hole straight inline, on others it's a little offset. Once you figure out what you have, match it to some of the locking tuners on the market. You also have to be aware of peg height, size of the hole, hole taper, and probably something else I'm not thinking of right now. Planet Waves has inline and offset locking tuners for a decent price. That's what I used last time I did this and I do like them so far.

That being said, I wouldn't make this change unless there is something about your current tuners you really don't like. Better to spend that money on a good setup and strings. But that's just me..

User Info Menu

I've got an AGS83B too and I changed the tuners to Gotoh 510 which are a direct fit (no drilling). Non-locking but fantastic performance and light weight.

User Info Menu

I have those sperzel type locking tuners

on my

They are affordable and very smooth and lock well and stay in tune and ... I LOVE THEM !!!

Fits perfectly my AGS83 but beware that the knob are smaller than the original ones.

User Info Menu

Sperzel Style means that they are not real Sperzels but an imitation Made in Asia, to a high possibility. Hence the low price. I just thought that I would point out the difference. I don't know the quality of the Sperzel Style. I'd plump for real Sperzel.

User Info Menu

Sure, if you can go for the real stuff, but i can testify that after three years of constant use, they really hold their promise.
    Smooth, precise, and ... locking.

I don't work for Guitarfetish, btw

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Sperzel Style means that they are not real Sperzels but an imitation Made in Asia, to a high possibility. Hence the low price. I just thought that I would point out the difference. I don't know the quality of the Sperzel Style. I'd plump for real Sperzel.
    I've seen a lot of good things about GFS overall. Apparently while they're not exactly the same quality as the top brands, they're better than most and a lot cheaper.

Also, Earl Slick works with them; that's a hell of an endorsement in my mind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xuoham
    I have those sperzel type locking tuners

on my

They are affordable and very smooth and lock well and stay in tune and ... I LOVE THEM !!!

Fits perfectly my AGS83 but beware that the knob are smaller than the original ones.

I like what you've done with your AGS, mine's going to my luthier for a smaller ebony pickguard and ebony knobs this week (one of the originals broke). I might even consider a wooden tailpiece...

Lovely guitars and highly recommended for anyone looking for a budget semi. I still wish Ibanez would come up with an upmarket, japanese version, but customizing/upgrading is a lot of fun...mine has Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays, Tone Pros bridge/tailpiece and a bone nut.

...back to the OP...any good quality tuners will work for you, locking or not. Gotoh are great and Tone Pros Kluson also have a direct fit for Asian guitars-worth checking out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IbanezAS100
    n...mine has Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays, Tone Pros bridge/tailpiece and a bone nut.
    Yummy ^ ^

Mine: SD SH55 Seth Lover Neck, SD SH14 Custom 5 Bridge, unstained ebony p.guard, knobs and p.u rings (iba p.u ring a bit bigger than standard, pita), and hardware from Guitarfetish: those quality Sprezel copy tuners, roller bridge -very good- and trap. tailpiece. I bypassed the tone pots until i put high quality caps.
    Reused this somehow ugly original p.guard as a truss rod cover.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IbanezAS100
    I like what you've done with your AGS, mine's going to my luthier for a smaller ebony pickguard and ebony knobs this week (one of the originals broke). I might even consider a wooden tailpiece...
    Betcha you won't be able to stand having plastic around your pickups and your p.u switch after the ebony knobs and p.guard

But again, the Ibanez p.u rings are a bit different from the standard size.
    I had to fill my older screw holes with epoxy.

User Info Menu

Your 'sperzel like' knock off's probably only have the shape of the back knob in common with the real thing. Better to buy something from someone who will actually put their name on the product. They market their stuff as 'Sperzel Like'? Really? Lame.

Here is what a real Sperzel looks like. Note that it has a post, not a screw. Drilling is required to install these. I think you have to ream the shaft hole as well. However, because they are made by the people who actually originated quality for the brand rather than some business trying to rip off the name by association, they do work very well and last a long time.

User Info Menu

I just replaced my AM93 tuners with locking Gotoh Tk-0938-002. Different number may be SG381-MGT Locking. Came in an "All Parts" package. No drilling required and all holes lined up. Between the tuners and a little 3 in 1 machine oil on the nut and saddles it holds perfect tune. The tuners were a little short coming through the head stock and don't leave room for extra coils around the tuning peg. I didn't think you're supposed to coil extra string with locking tuners any way so it works perfectly for the way I string a guitar with locking tuners. I struggled trying to find info on what works for locking tuners so I thought I'd share what worked for me. I can't believe these guitars are 600 bucks. Plays and sounds as good as my $1500 axes. Couldn't be happier now that I solved the tuning issues.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Stinkmeister, for a timely reboot of this thread. I was about to go for the Gotohs and your part #'s helped (and both work in searches, by the way).

I had tried the Guitar Fetish ones someone recommended above. Maybe their manufacturing changed over the years, but I'm sorry I did. They just don't stay in tune for me.

I've also been playing with an Ibanez AGS83B that I picked up cheap last fall. Swapped out all the hardware and the tuners were the only choice I didn't like. This model, by the way, is still a freaking awesome semi-hollow to hold and play. They're out there cheap. Put in some pickups and you'll feel like you stole something.