The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Dear friends, I'm looking for a Gibson first of all Johnny Smith but it's hard to find it. There are sometimes in USA but I'm living in Europe so, I'd like to find one in Europe so I can go to take it.
    If someone can help me would be great. Thank you

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by threetwoone
    Dear friends, I'm looking for a Gibson first of all Johnny Smith but it's hard to find it. There are sometimes in USA but I'm living in Europe so, I'd like to find one in Europe so I can go to take it.
    If someone can help me would be great. Thank you
    Check your Private Messages box.

User Info Menu

funny you should ask. Gary's Classic guitars has 2 Johnny Smiths right now. That's pretty rare. Gary's always has nice vintage Gibson's. always.

Gary's Classic Guitars - Huge Online Vintage Guitars Inventory, 35 Years Experience

User Info Menu

Those are two very nice Johnnys. I love the one with the natural finish but that price is in outer space. Check out that 99 L5 he's got That wood is to die for.

User Info Menu

My local shop in Tucson has 2 Johnny Smits as well.

Rainbow Guitars - Quality New & Vintage Music Gear

I'm sure they will ship to Europe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    but that price is in outer space
    yes, much like his $5k Ibanez JS that's available on feebay for $1800 the past several week with no takers.

User Info Menu

I've seen his prices before. I really doubt he expects to sell at those points. I think he's hust trying to draw in astute buyers for negotiation. Gary's no fool. He's been at this for a loooooong time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    I've seen his prices before. I really doubt he expects to sell at those points. I think he's hust trying to draw in astute buyers for negotiation. Gary's no fool. He's been at this for a loooooong time.
    so you don't believe that a strategy of deliberately over pricing alienates some buyers? it does me...I don't care for the haggling which is why I generally will deal with a private party who prices his item reasonably.

archtop.com is in my home town and I won't go near the place for that reason...nothing against Joe V.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    so you don't believe that a strategy of deliberately over pricing alienates some buyers? it does me...I don't care for the haggling which is why I generally will deal with a private party who prices his item reasonably.

archtop.com is in my home town and I won't go near the place for that reason...nothing against Joe V.
    No man . . . I'm not deterred at all by "stupid" asking prices. If I see a guitar I really like . . . I'll contact the seller and start a dialogue . . . just to see if the seller is as stupid as his prices are. Usually, he's not. Then, we'll start to negotiat in earnest. I really don't mind "doin' the dance" . . . but, I know where to draw the line and disengage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    No man . . . I'm not deterred at all by "stupid" asking . . . but, I know where to draw the line and disengage.
    That's the most important part. You've got to know your business if you're not going to get ripped off. One reason I don't collect anymore is my GAS sometimes tends to overpower my good sense. I've made some good deals in my time but I also made some big booboos.

User Info Menu

Gary Dick does have nice pieces with "no surprises" in store. He has garnered a reputation for that so perhaps he's earned his high asking prices. I was checking out a mint Year 2000 Gibson Super 400C Sunburst with McCarthy fingerrest pup he had for sale recently. I thought I would hold out a little in hopes getting it for $1000 lower than his asking.

One month later, it was sold.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 11-19-2012 at 06:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    That's the most important part. You've got to know your business if you're not going to get ripped off. One reason I don't collect anymore is my GAS sometimes tends to overpower my good sense. I've made some good deals in my time but I also made some big booboos.
    Don't we all. Don't we all. More booboos than good scores from me. But that's the learning process.

I walked away recently from a deal on a practically unplayed Year 2000 Gibson ES5 P90 Natural. I offered a price that was $200 above the fair market price for the axe (according to my estimation) but the seller wanted $100 more and so I folded and walked away. I got the better of GAS for once. And then realized after that that I did not really want the axe. Whew. Saved myself. It is not so much that "it is just $100 more" than what I offered. That was the point where I thought I was being made the chum, when "earnest" crosses over to "stupid".

GAS gets you and you go all woozy from the stupor of a new guitar. Got to get it under control and know when to walk away. I don't low-ball and always try to gain a sense of what is fair on the market, for buyer and seller. No more "doin' the dance", as Pat2 sez. One or two negotiations and then it is either deal or walk.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 11-19-2012 at 06:51 AM.

User Info Menu

I bought my 1951 DeLuxe Regent from Gary, and though it was more expensive than it should have been, it indeed is the cleanest possible, even the case looked brand new. it sounds HUGE easily the best sounding example of the dozen Epi's I own/owned. In the end this is one I'll never sell . Just one experience with him though, other guitar buys I did I always wait for a while so I can look for the best deal coming by. This was one guitar I had to have though and well worth it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    GAS gets you and you go all woozy from the stupor of a new guitar. Got to get it under control and know when to walk away.
    That's the difficult part. I remember going to a guitar show in Pensacola where a dealer had a sunburst 50's ES-300 with two P90s for sale. I had seen the guitar before at an earlier show and turned it down because the price was too high but here it was again, staring me in the face. The sound it made was incredible. It was the defining sound of the Bebop era hands down. The problem was that it had several unrepaired cracks in the side, one crack in the top at the upper bout and was most probably refinished. The guy still wouldn't come down in the price. Yet I still stood there trying to decide what to do. Finally, I walked away after an untold amount of time. This thing was a no brainer but it still took massive strength o fight that new guitar stupor as you call it.

User Info Menu

Ironically, my G.A.S. is the least toxic when I actually visit a guitar in person and play it. I am far more susceptible to impulse when viewing glorious images and reading trumped up descriptions online. One of the stores near me, Lark Street, occasionally has something notable and I go check it out. Every time, I've come away thinking, okay - this is cool, but it's not really better than my [whatever]..." And the money seems more real when I have to physically hand over a credit card and sign something. If it had been inaccessible at a remote seller, I probably would have bought it just to make sure I didn't miss out on something incredible.

Then again, I've had missteps. Lark Street had an '82 blonde ES-335 once that had old strings and had not been cleaned or set up right, but had a killer sound. It was priced at a hair over $2K, which is low for that era (Shaw pups, first edition reissue, etc.). I couldn't bear to part with that much money for something that seemed as if the store didn't respect it enough to prep it well. Dumb move.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Every time, I've come away thinking, okay - this is cool, but it's not really better than my [whatever]..." And the money seems more real when I have to physically hand over a credit card and sign something.
    That's what I have to do now to control the GAS. My collection has been reduced to 2 Vestax D'As, a Guild AA, a 96 Gretsch made by Heritage Eldorado tap tuned) and a 1939 D'A Excel (16" body). What am I going to find that can beat that combination? I'm done chasing rainbows and things that don't exist anymore. It's definitely a lot of fun to try out some of history's icons but that's really all I want.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Ironically, my G.A.S. is the least toxic when I actually visit a guitar in person and play it. I am far more susceptible to impulse when viewing glorious images and reading trumped up descriptions online. One of the stores near me, Lark Street, occasionally has something notable and I go check it out. Every time, I've come away thinking, okay - this is cool, but it's not really better than my [whatever]..." And the money seems more real when I have to physically hand over a credit card and sign something. If it had been inaccessible at a remote seller, I probably would have bought it just to make sure I didn't miss out on something incredible.....
    I concur readily, rpguitar. I concur.

User Info Menu

HFC, If I had that collection I to could be a happy man. Glad for you that you've reached that pinnacle. With your Excel why do you need anything else?

Dear friends, friend of mine found Gibson Johnny Smith natural.
    The owner said the last part of serial number is canceled (on label also) but the first is number 197 so it seems of the 1964.
    What do you think about and how much I have to pay?
    Thank you

User Info Menu

Wow! There are lots of people looking and lots of people offering! This is like Christmas! With all these offerings, I'd buy several and compare them. They are all very different and you should get the one you think is best, especially since you are looking at one already. Wouldn't it be great if you bought one that was even better?