The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 134
    I'm sure I'm not the first to point this out, but Heritage simply destroys gibson in the product-for-your-money department. I played one of the new single pickup es-175 reissues (about $6k), an awesome guitar, then played a Heritage dual pickup archtop (forget the model) with a solid top and back at half the price. Everything about the Heritage was just better, from the finish, the sound (plugged and unplugged), the action. I'm just amazed that gibson thinks they can justify the pricetag. Has gibson ever even heard of heritage? Is gibson making guitars from inside a cave?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amusiathread
    Is gibson making guitars from inside a cave?
    Which holds it's value better in the used market??? Nuff said.

User Info Menu

do you know the story of Heritage?

I hear what you're saying, cosmic, but better value in a used market has, in this case, nothing to do with a better product. It just means better marketing. Important to collectors, or people who like to trade and sell, not so important to someone who wants a good guitar for life. I'm not trying to bash gibson, they are exceptional guitars, but given the money to spend on one, i'd buy 2 heritages instead.

User Info Menu

<------ Never heard of them.

I've been rather fond of Heritage for nearly 20 years now. The H575 I have is my keeper.

User Info Menu

Hi 'Thread,

>>> Heritage simply destroys gibson in the product-for-your-money department.

While I suppose this is an arguable point, I rather agree that the instruments are at least on par - and indeed quite possibly better when you sample a number of them.

So if I may ask - What is you view as to what holds back Heritage from being the premier US manufacturer of electric archtops (and semi-hollows)?

Some possibilities:

- The headstock. (OK, not really,...)
    - The mildly awkward name.
    - The apparent ups and downs of the company over the years.
    - The arguably poor job they do of presenting the company and its guitars.
    - Sunburst pickguards.
    - Supremely cheapo acrylic knobs (ooops, they both do that).
    - The fairly intense efforts of Gibson to maintain its market position through advertising and endorsements.
    - Maybe many other things that I am missing?

Chris

User Info Menu

my possibilities as to why Heritage isn't the premier US archtop company:

Some of these are funny but i'm not actually kidding...

1. Small enough company to have a name that's a name, but instead they have a name that could be a HUGE corporation for all most folks know.

2. Some incredibly gaudy design choices on more expensive models (bell tailpiece, anyone?How about a pearl eagle on that pickguard?)

3. Some folks still see them as "Gibson copies"

4. Roy Clark / Alex Skolnick is their most famous endorser (Sorry KB, but that's true)

5. Laminate hollowbody models have non floating bridges! FUGLY.

6. Too many guitars named Eagle

7. 575 named to close to 175 even when they are very different guitars.

8. The Eagle that's been on Elderly for a while is really goofy looking

9. Overuse and insistance that there's something special about Korina (oh wait, that's Gibson)

10. Pointy strat skeletons in the closet.

11. Not old enough to have "vintage reissues"

User Info Menu

As to the question Has Gibson ever heard of Heritage, I think you can answer that with a resounding yes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    As to the question Has Gibson ever heard of Heritage, I think you can answer that with a resounding yes.
    Oh, absolutely. We have the court documents to prove it.

For me, it isn't a question of which is better. It is more about which one I like better. There are a couple of Gibson models I really dig. They also don't have a Heritage equivalent. I tend to lean to Heritage as a brand but not as a rule.... just sort of happens that way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    my possibilities as to why Heritage isn't the premier US archtop company:

Some of these are funny but i'm not actually kidding...

1. Small enough company to have a name that's a name, but instead they have a name that could be a HUGE corporation for all most folks know.

2. Some incredibly gaudy design choices on more expensive models (bell tailpiece, anyone?How about a pearl eagle on that pickguard?)

3. Some folks still see them as "Gibson copies"

4. Roy Clark / Alex Skolnick is their most famous endorser (Sorry KB, but that's true)

5. Laminate hollowbody models have non floating bridges! FUGLY.

6. Too many guitars named Eagle

7. 575 named to close to 175 even when they are very different guitars.

8. The Eagle that's been on Elderly for a while is really goofy looking

9. Overuse and insistance that there's something special about Korina (oh wait, that's Gibson)

10. Pointy strat skeletons in the closet.

11. Not old enough to have "vintage reissues"
    Yeah. I definitely think the Gibson copy thing has definitely hindered them. Although they definitely have their own design, they do look VERY much the same (like the 575/175 issue you mentioned). ...and people already have Gibson on the brain so they come up with the argument of "If I am going to get a Gibson, I want a Gibson." I feel the same way... but from the other side. If I want a Heritage, I am getting a Heritage. There just isn't a point in getting a Heritage.

User Info Menu

I'm sure I'm not the first to point this out, but Heritage simply destroys gibson in the product-for-your-money department. I played one of the new single pickup es-175 reissues (about $6k), an awesome guitar, then played a Heritage dual pickup archtop (forget the model) with a solid top and back at half the price. Everything about the Heritage was just better, from the finish, the sound (plugged and unplugged), the action. I'm just amazed that gibson thinks they can justify the pricetag. Has gibson ever even heard of heritage? Is gibson making guitars from inside a cave?
    as i continue to point out, you need to take 35% off the Gibson MSRP.

Now what do you think?

User Info Menu

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . . . . . . .

User Info Menu

Personally, in the price range of both companies' archtop guitars, I'll just keep on buying vintage Gibsons or Epiphones if I want that kind of vibe. That's me. Not implying everyone should do the same. Then again, I like old things better (music, guitars, cars, furniture, houses, etc.), so...

EDIT TO ADD: I do think however that Heritage are nice and great value if you want a brand new factory guitar. I'd be inclined to trust their QC better than Gibson's. I could be wrong...
    Last edited by Eddie Lang; 11-10-2012 at 09:06 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    I saw on the main page of the Forum guitar amps & Gizmos
    that the last reply from Patrick2, so I said:
    Ah Ah, I want to see what he has to say about this hot topic.
    That was very interesting!

The "has gibson heard of heritage" comment was actually a joke. Gibson archtops are great guitars, but I'm surprised that gibson doesn't learn from the competition, or get a bit paranoid that their market catches on to the fact that their pricetags don't reflect the sum of their parts (including craftsmanship, of course).

It is also worth noting that the shop where I played the heritage sells at close to list price, whereas the shop selling the gibson competes with lowest advertised prices, so the difference is even greater than implied.

User Info Menu

It is also worth noting that the shop where I played the heritage sells at close to list price, whereas the shop selling the gibson competes with lowest advertised prices, so the difference is even greater than implied.
    Check out shops like J Wolfe if you want more street priced Heritages. That is where I got my 575. It was $2600.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7

A Sweet 16 single set pup in silver....first I've seen. gorgeous archtop...for sale?

User Info Menu

For my money, Gibson and Heritage have similarly good quality at their best, but they're also similarly inconsistent in quality.

If you find a really good Heritage, it's a good bargain. And because the resale value isn't spectacular, a really good used Heritage is a real bargain. If I were looking for that sort of guitar, I'd be looking for a good used Heritage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    oh go ahead and chime in...it's okay...really.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    If you find a really good Heritage, it's a good bargain. And because the resale value isn't spectacular, a really good used Heritage is a real bargain.
    You've got that right...I've sold the last 2 Heritage GE's sold on feebay, and each sold for $3k...and mint...that's before paypal and feebay fees.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    oh go ahead and chime in...it's okay...really.
    Thanks Greg . . . I'll just hang back and wait 'til it starts to get a little more interesting

User Info Menu

I'm impressed by Heritage guitars, and have inquired about buying one. That I don't own one is more a result of inertia than anything: I already own a wonderful Gibson 335. If I didn't, I'd look at Heritage, or Carvin (SH550B) for a new instrument.

I like their options, and colors, and models. They aren't burdened by Gibson's attempts to cover every segment of the market, and the local former Gibson dealer now sells Heritage. I realize that this is due to a lot of other issues! But the Heritage models he has in stock are gorgeous.

So there's not a simple answer to the G vs H debate. I love 'em both, and I tend to be apathetic to arguments based on the supposed morality, or lack of it, by the management of a particular company. I would quite happily play a Heritage, Carvin, or Gibson. I happen to have a Gibson, and I love it. I'm sure I could equally love one of the others.

Is quality variable? If it is, then do your due diligence. Don't buy a crappy guitar, regardless of the name on the headstock.

Is all this obvious enough?

User Info Menu

knew you were wrong. here it is. $6704.00. take off 35%. thats $4,358.00

Gibson.com: Gibson Custom 1959 ES-175

if you can't make that happen, go to another store or sharpen up your negotiation skills.