The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

I’ve heard a little bit about an experiment that Benedetto once went for where he made a guitar out pieces of scrap wood that he found in the rubbish.

Anyone else heard of this and/or have any more info?

I’m doing a course at University just now on construction of Instruments and I thought it might be a cool thing to look into.

Thanks!

Bop

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You may want to look here:
    Benedetto Archtop Jazzguitar "Special" No 37296 | eBay

I know it's a e-bay listing, I have no connection, however there are some details you may find interesting.

User Info Menu

Just email him. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about it. He's very approachable.

User Info Menu

Indeed Bop - as Jason says.

Just call him and ask, or send an e-mail.

You will both really enjoy the subject, especially if you describe why you are interested.

Chris

User Info Menu

That looks like the one Bob made in 1968 out of what he said was pine. His book talks about it in the beginning. I think it may have been made out of an old table. He supposedly did it to show it was more about the technique rather than the wood.

Nice find there Sierra!

I was thinking that it would be intresting to try and find out at what frequencys the main wood resonance's of a guitar built out of 'inferior' woods would be like when compared to one made of top quality tone woods.

http://www.physics.umd.edu/lecdem/se...EssayFinal.pdf , being able to do a study like this at some point using archtop guitars instead of violins would be really intresting.

Thanks for that idea Jason, I really had never thought about just sending an email. I gues I always just thought someone as well known wouldnt have the time. Im already thinkng of how to word this email!

Ill keep you all posted on how it goes!

User Info Menu

bob taylor made several guitars out of old pallets

Cupboards Kitchen and Bath: The Taylor Pallet Guitar - A REAL Use for Recycled Pallets!

im sure that if i had $11,000 to spend on a guitar, i'd want one made from garbage.

User Info Menu

he was making a statement that quality craftsmanship is far greater then fancy woods.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    Holy Schmoley, that looks like it was made out of a hunk of Jarlsburg Swiss cheese. You're dang right it's all about the techniques and craftsmanship.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    You may want to look here:
    Benedetto Archtop Jazzguitar "Special" No 37296 | eBay

I know it's a e-bay listing, I have no connection, however there are some details you may find interesting.
    The proof of concept is great but if the end result costs close to 15 thousand clams, I would like to have it made out of fancy schmancy wood, mother-of-pearl and abalone please. Colour me shallow.

User Info Menu

Bob talks about that guitar in his video series on how to build an archtop guitar. The top was ponderosa pine and the back/sides was made out of several pieces of maple taken from a shipping pallet.

His point was about how you use the wood.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dookychase
    Bob talks about that guitar in his video series on how to build an archtop guitar. The top was ponderosa pine and the back/sides was made out of several pieces of maple taken from a shipping pallet.

His point was about how you use the wood.
    I remember hearing that in the video series. It all comes down to the fact that in order to make anything well, you've got to know your materials inside out.

User Info Menu

sure everyone can agree on that & it is a wonderful experiment in which Benedetto proved his point

but the guitar for auction there, at 20k, is a copy for which the customer required Benedetto to repeat this "trick". He purposedly required a guitar made from the same type of scrap woods. And thereafter even a third.

So I am with Jabber on this one. I think the first time was a good stunt underlining the exceptional qualities of the builder but for these others Id rather have the fancy woods again

User Info Menu

It smacks of El Bulli and Molecular Gastronomy. If you're going to pay a lot for foam that tastes like really good juicy steak, lobster bisque or whatever, you may as well pay a lot and bite into the real thing.

First time round, Bravo, Maestro, for showing your skills and proving your point. Second time round, it really becomes conceit.

$15 000 for a work in pine? That's serious money. I don't know about you but it is really paying a lot for a taste of nothing.

User Info Menu

Hello all. In the 50's Jose Ramirez made a classical guitar out of paper machet to try and prove it would work. It's in his book.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy
    Hello all. In the 50's Jose Ramirez made a classical guitar out of paper machet to try and prove it would work. It's in his book.
    Antonio Torres (father of the modern classical guitar) made one out of paper mache a few years earlier, 1862.
    As to guitars made from scrap, I have one that Paulino Bernabe made from odds and ends around his shop. A friend was in his shop shortly after he opened it after leaving Ramirez, and bought a 3/4 guitar for his wife. He picked up this one that Bernabe described as "Una guitarra que toca en la calle, y entonces echa en la basura." (A guitar you play in the street and then throw in the garbage.)
    The top is made from several pieces, the kerfing is obviously from scrap wood, back and sides are maple, neck join is solid but not seamless. Not sure what the fretboard is made of, looks stained, cheap frets, probably brass. Overall not a very pretty instrument, but has a nice sound.
    Brad

User Info Menu

So by now someone could start a collection of such scrap guitars.... We have scrap archtops, some scrap classicals, and lets be honest, scrap wood electric solidbodies are plentyful anyways

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    So by now someone could start a collection of such scrap guitars.... We have scrap archtops, some scrap classicals, and lets be honest, scrap wood electric solidbodies are plentyful anyways
    It is some kind of reverse snobbery, I guess. But the price tag remains the same: HIGH.

User Info Menu

Who's crazier? The guy who sells a guitar for 15 grand or the guy who buys it?

User Info Menu

I would love to have a "scrap" archtop or any other guitar for that matter ..

But if isn't going to save me a ton of money I'd rather have the purty one