The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 48
    Hey guys,

I own a Yamaha SA2200, amazing guitar for sure, but I've thinking of selling it and buy a new Gibson ES-335.

What you guys think?

Another question:

I changed the neck pickup to gibson 57 classic on my SA2200.
    Is there better pickups that would work better on SA2200? (since it has coil splitting) I really like Adam Rogers tone.

Thanks guys!

Gibson ES-335 vs Yamaha SA2200-yamaha-sa2200-jpg

Gibson ES-335 vs Yamaha SA2200-gibson-es-335-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

have you played a 335? was it better? There's your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    have you played a 335? was it better? There's your answer.
    Yeah, but the old ones.
    I would only be able to get a newer one and people say that newer ones aren't as good.

I really love hardware on sa2200, amazing finish and neck feels amazing.
    any pickup suggestion? or would upgrading electronics make a big difference?

User Info Menu

I had an SA -22200. Wonderful guitar. Really versatile. Problem: my mom dropped the guitar, smashed the headstock, among other things, took a very difficult re-build/fix. Fucked up the sound. Wound up giving the guitar away a gift to someone who didn't have a guitar.

I love my ES-339 (currently own) and my Heritage Prospect Std (sold it)--I think the small size semi's are much more playable for me.

User Info Menu

Why would you sell a guitar that's "amazing?"

Concerning the pickup swap...what's lacking in your tone now? What's your amp?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmicillusion
    Yeah, but the old ones.
    I would only be able to get a newer one and people say that newer ones aren't as good.
    Hahaha. I have an 11/'00 Memphis 335. Yeah, it's no good.

People on the internet say the darndest things.

Why would you sell a guitar that's "amazing?"

Concerning the pickup swap...what's lacking in your tone now? What's your amp?
    Hello Jeff,
    I use a blues junior.

Whenever I try a 335, it sounds to me that its tone has more definiton, especially when playing single lines.

I've changed the neck pickup but I guess pickups can't change the sound 100%.

Would you change to another pickup? or any suggestion?

User Info Menu

Sorry to be so Socratic, but, define "definition."

Is the Yamaha muddy? is it just an EQ issue?

Sorry to be so Socratic, but, define "definition."

Is the Yamaha muddy? is it just an EQ issue?

That's exactly what i meant.

I played my friend's 335 with the same levels on volume and EQ and did the same thing at some store.
    Yamaha is more muddy.

User Info Menu

I guess you can have a PHD in acoustics and play a guitar too..

But I see more players unhappy with the sound of their instruments than others who just plug it in the amp and play away..

Is it like having perfect pitch and playing in a band..?

Is it like a note in a tune you are writing that you just can't find..?

time on the instrument...

????

User Info Menu

Well, do also take a look at the little brother, the Gibson ES-339.

Quote Originally Posted by pierre richard
    I guess you can have a PHD in acoustics and play a guitar too..

But I see more players unhappy with the sound of their instruments than others who just plug it in the amp and play away..

Is it like having perfect pitch and playing in a band..?

Is it like a note in a tune you are writing that you just can't find..?

time on the instrument...

????

I guess you are just here at this forum just so you can say shit about posts.
    does that make you feel better?
    I guess it does. That's why you did it

User Info Menu

If you love the current guitar, maybe all you need is a better pickup. The 57 Classic does beautifuly on some guitars, and not so much on others.

If it's mud you need to get rid of, go for the brighter crop of h/bers. I keep hearing about the Seth Lovers fitting that bill. Antiquities are nice too.

By the way, have you tried tuning your p/up? I mean adjusting the p/up height and/or the pole piece height? I think you'll be amazed.

I use 57 Classics on my Lucille (Epiphone 345)and really enjoy them. I had a Gibson Les Paul Custom, woohoo, but thought the 57 classics on it were just so-so. Both guitars received some tweaking and both benefitted largely.

On the Epiphone, (yes I found a great one) I have turned the neck p/up around so that the pole pieces are now nearer to the bridge. I adjusted from there. Polepieces are higher on the 6th, 5th and 1st strings. Your preferences will no doubt vary, but....try it. It costs nothing, and you will learn from the exp.. Then you can justify purchasing something bettter!

User Info Menu

In my opinion I think there are so many other option available for you to try.
    Pick ups are one and yes I do believe that pickups make a big deference , I would agree if you maybe had a lesser guitar with shoddy craftsmanship but the SA's are made great, so I'm more inclined to try pickups swap out pots and capacitors and do a whole rewire. Did you buy the SA new ? do you know the full history of the guitar if not , have the electrics been replaced before ? these can all affect the sound. Also look at simpler things like strings, bridge and maybe even a pro setup ?
    I would start doing the simple changes first before spending great wads of cash.
    There are also many options of pickups all giving different results.
    You have a very good guitar that has a great reputation, sound like you need some time to try things, i really think you will regret selling your SA, personally myself I would not buy a new Gibson I think I can get a far better instrument for a lot less. There is a thing about the Gibson name but the 60's to 80's Japanese Yamaha's are my preference and a hell of a lot cheaper.

well I think it realy depends which 335 exactly you want to buy, since there're many different 335 out there. I have now played two 335 briefly ( from friends of mine) and I wasn't blown away by these guitars to be honest.

I play the "sa2000s" and this guitar is realy something different from normal 335 , since it has solid spruce top and a spruce center block. and you can not compare it to your sa 2200, either.

I recommend, that you take a look to the scofield model by ibanez or the old as 200 or maybe a sa2000s if you find one, since there is more than just gibson.

User Info Menu

I play the "sa2000s" and this guitar is realy something different from normal 335 , since it has solid spruce top and a spruce center block. and you can not compare it to your sa 2200, either.
    That's it,they are different....a friend of mine has both,and keeps them 'cause they have different flavour,so if you are in love with the 335,that's a fact,otherwise the SA200 it's a beautifull axe...Imho,

P.S.
    about the latest Gibsons quality...well,try them by yourself,never trust "cheap talk",on the net anyone can say whatever they like,in the end it's you that have to make decisions,on "your" experience...

User Info Menu

I have played quite a few 335s and 345s.

One thing that is certain, is that they are not the same guitars in terms of tone.

Might feel the same, but don't sound the same. I remember I played a 2009 Custom Shop ES 335 Reissue and it sounded like total crap. So weak sounding, no warmth, etc.

Then I played my 87 ES 335 and oh boy, it sounded so beautiful, warm, mellow, I have this guitar for like a year and each time I pick it up it's dream to listen to it.

So my opinion is, if you want a 335 try it before you buy it. Not all 335s sound nice and are good, regardless of model, edition, price, etc.

User Info Menu

Muddiness or not also depends on which amp you use with the guitar.

If I were you I'd keep the Yamaha and would save money to buy a 335 (or similar) when you find one that you like.
    Then you own and can play both guitars and find which one you want to keep (I'd keep both, without doubt).

If instead you want to go through the pickup swap process, you might consider Lollar Low Wind (or many others like Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday, Seymour Duncan Seth Lover etc...), to improve string definition.
    But you never know if you are going to be happy after the swap.

This is a video clip someone did about GIbson 335 and Yamaha Sa2200 comparison.
    You have to guess which guitar is playing.

BTW, stay relaxed and don't get upset if someone gives some ironic answer. That's part of the joke

User Info Menu

I had a SA for many years and it was one of the great bang for bucks guitars. Towards the end I put in 2 new Benedetto A6 p/u's and I thought it greatly improved the sound. In the end, however, I found the SA just too heavy for my little body and have gone with smaller and lighter guitars.

User Info Menu

Agreed on the weight. This thread inspired a little GAS and I found two SA-2000s on Ebay from a Japanese retailer. His listing claims that they weigh a little over 9 lbs. Nine pounds! My '67 335 is about 7.5, and that makes a big difference in both comfort and tone (to me). The lighter ones are crisper and more dynamic in my experience. I've owned three different 335s and a 347 in my day.

the sa2000s is indeed heavy, so you will have do some workout aswell

I guess if I would have some money left I would be also interested in the sadowsky semi-acoustic, but it's way too expensive for me.

if you're stil intersted in a humbucker swap than I would definatly look for a 4 wire humbucker, since I make big use of the split coil option. I know that many people think that it's worthless, but some people like me find this opportunity very satisfying.

I don't know but I think the seth lover from seymour duncan does have a 4 wire system and it's supposed to be a good humbucker

User Info Menu

If your tone is muddy, consider swapping the capacitors on the tone controls for ones that will allow more highs to pass through the signal path. It's cheap fix. If you can't do it yourself, talk to a respectable guitar tech.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmicillusion
    Hello Jeff,
    I use a blues junior.

Whenever I try a 335, it sounds to me that its tone has more definiton, especially when playing single lines.

I've changed the neck pickup but I guess pickups can't change the sound 100%.

Would you change to another pickup? or any suggestion?

Have you considered going back to the original pup? The usual take on the SA2200 vs the 335 is that if anything the Yamaha is a bit more bright and defined. Also consider that your BJ, although a fine amp, is designed for fairly early break up. Are you hearing muddy, or are you hearing over driven? If over driven at fairly low volumes that's what your amp is supposed to be doing. Next time you plan on visiting GC take your SA 2200 along and plug it into a Twin. I'm playing my SA2200 as well as my Gibson Classics and 490's through a Twin and believe me there is no mud or for that matter any break up happening without the aid of a pedal. I'm not saying that you should buy a Twin but I'd be inclined to try out a few different amps before a did any more pick up swaps.

Having said all of that your amp should give you nice clean tones at low to moderate volumes. If it's not you might want to look at the speaker. How old is it? Has it become flubby? You might simply be due for a nice new high efficiency Eminence or the like. That can usually be done for less than the cost of a new pup.

Last edited by BEACHBUM; 11-07-2012 at 02:45 PM.

wow... all the amazing infomations!
    thanks guys! I guess I will take a look at the electronics and see what i can do.
    and will definitely take a look at some of pickups that you guys suggested.
    any of you familiar with Lindy Fralin humbucker pickups?