The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 59

User Info Menu

I need some input on a reverb unit. This will be my first reverb unit Ive ever purchased . I have NO idea as to the pluses or minuses of pedals V digital or tube driven etc. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have the Holy Grail Pedal for use on my non-reverb amp. It works very well. I also have a Fender Deluxe Reverb so I know what really good reverb should sound.

User Info Menu

Tc electronics hall of fame - awesome pedal! For my taste head and shoulders above the holy grail (i own both). Very subjective of course.

User Info Menu

Outboard, tube driven is pricier, much bulkier than pedal reverbs. Both can be excellent, depending on your needs and tastes.

I use both. At home, a Texotica outboard reverb unit. The best of several I've tried. Love this thing! On the small pedal board, for gigs and rehearsals, a Hermida reverb pedal. Which in its own simple way, is as good as any reverb I've used. Simple, quiet, sounds good. For me, perfect. I've tried many other pedals. Many good ones, WET and TC HOF two in particular that might suit you.

MD

User Info Menu

2nd on TC hall of fame reverb...a superb unit

User Info Menu

I use a TC Nova system,and the reverbs in there,are GREAT STUFF....
    I would recommend them,but since there's a lot of stuff into the Nova,if it's only reverb in your target,than TC Hall of fame is "the one"..!!

User Info Menu

What type(s) of reverb are you searching for? Something that sounds like being in a cave? A tiled bathroom? The spring based reverb common in guitar amps?

User Info Menu

I never thought there were as many units to choose from. I guess Ill be spending today checking them out. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog
    Outboard, tube driven is pricier, much bulkier than pedal reverbs. Both can be excellent, depending on your needs and tastes.

I use both. At home, a Texotica outboard reverb unit. The best of several I've tried. Love this thing! On the small pedal board, for gigs and rehearsals, a Hermida reverb pedal. Which in its own simple way, is as good as any reverb I've used. Simple, quiet, sounds good. For me, perfect. I've tried many other pedals. Many good ones, WET and TC HOF two in particular that might suit you.

MD
    I have both the Neunaber Wet and the TC HOF. They're both excellent pedals.

Neunaber Wet = pristine sound and simple with only two knobs
    TC HOF = very good sound, lots of effects but four knobs and a switch - more adjustments to learn (I found one and just keep it there).

Probably most pedals on the market today will make their owners happy.

One other point: your audience won't be able to tell what pedal you're using as they all sound pretty much the same from their vantage point. What distinguishes these pedals in my opinion is how they sound in your practice room, not the bandstand.

User Info Menu

If you like the sound of spring reverb, check out the Boss/Fender FRV-1.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan T
    What type(s) of reverb are you searching for? Something that sounds like being in a cave? A tiled bathroom? The spring based reverb common in guitar amps?
    Good question,Id like a 50s type tone for this project,an early raw bluesy tone I guess. Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4thstuning
    I have both the Neunaber Wet and the TC HOF. They're both excellent pedals.

Neunaber Wet = pristine sound and simple with only two knobs
    TC HOF = very good sound, lots of effects but four knobs and a switch - more adjustments to learn (I found one and just keep it there).

Probably most pedals on the market today will make their owners happy.

One other point: your audience won't be able to tell what pedal you're using as they all sound pretty much the same from their vantage point. What distinguishes these pedals in my opinion is how they sound in your practice room, not the bandstand.
    If you could own only one, which would you choose?

User Info Menu

The project is just a small jam thing,I doubt anyone other than the players will hear it. Im pretty much open to all suggestions.I just dont want to spend a boat load of dough. Ideally less that $200.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    If you could own only one, which would you choose?
    Probably the Neunaber, but if it were stolen I'd be very happy with the HOF which is excellent and is more versatile. They're both excellent choices as are many other pedals I'm sure.

There's a GAS trap that people, including me, fall into. That is obsessing over a purchase to get the optimal widget whatever that is. For most of us there's no optimal, there's simply good enough and that should be good enough.

User Info Menu

....There's a GAS trap that people, including me, fall into. That is obsessing over a purchase to get the optimal widget whatever that is.....
    Oh man, I could almost hear you say the KLOooooooOh, shaddup already

User Info Menu

I like the HOF a lot, for the price is just incredible (destroys the Holy Grail). Money no object then Strymon Flint.

But if you like old school tones then you must like spring reverb - in that case check the Hardwire Supernatural. Their spring is supposed to be as good as a Fender tube 63 reverb...

User Info Menu

It seems as though TC Electronics has unveiled a new customized version of the "Hall of Fame" pedal called the "Arena" that will be available exclusively at Guitar Center and Musicians Friend. I haven't heard it yet since it just came out today, but it seems as though they have replaced 4 of their more esoteric settings with more traditional ones.

Apparently, the new settings include new cathedral, hall, room, and spring reverbs. I don't mind them replacing some of their stranger "sound effect" type settings with more usable alternatives.

TC Electronic | Arena Reverb

User Info Menu

It seems as though TC Electronics has unveiled a new customized version of the "Hall of Fame" pedal called the "Arena" that will be available exclusively at Guitar Center and Musicians Friend. I haven't heard it yet since it just came out today, but it seems as though they have replaced 4 of their more esoteric settings with more traditional ones.

Apparently, the new settings include new cathedral, hall, room, and spring reverbs. I don't mind them replacing some of their stranger "sound effect" type settings with more usable alternatives.

TC Electronic | Arena Reverb
    Unfortunate that they couldn't do that by updating the firmware in the pedal on the older units.

User Info Menu

Unfortunate that they couldn't do that by updating the firmware in the pedal on the older units.
    The old units have a toneprint feature where you can update one of the settings to your heart's content. The changes on the new pedal are probably pretty subtle, so I wouldn't sweat it.

User Info Menu

The old units have a toneprint feature where you can update one of the settings to your heart's content. The changes on the new pedal are probably pretty subtle, so I wouldn't sweat it.
    Alas my heart is not content. From what I can see, the toneprint feature only allows one to download the setting of "one's favorite artist". Unfortunately my faves aren't there and I'm unwilling to suffer through all the metal and pop emo-ambient techno-horseshit to find something useful...if it even exists.

As it stands now, if one remembers the settings (nail polish is good) there are very useful reverbs in the HOF....and it's plenty good enough.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately my faves aren't there and I'm unwilling to suffer through all the metal and pop emo-ambient techno-horseshit to find something useful...if it even exists. .
    It does. Steve Morse's Beautiful Reverb is unbelievably good, as good as the Church setting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    It does. Steve Morse's Beautiful Reverb is unbelievably good, as good as the Church setting.
    Ahhh...subjectivity. To my ears, the Church setting is way too much, it interferes with the music....again, that's my ears. So far toneprints isn't much of a feature to me.

Now if TC would allow one to customize all the parameters on-line and add something like chorus, delays, whatever then that would be very useful indeed and fun to mess with.

Again not knocking the wonderful HOF, I like it.

User Info Menu

Yeah I understand the Church can be too much... but try the beautiful reverb, it only takes a minute

User Info Menu

The Boss Fender spring reverb pedal is ace. I only use a subtle bit of reverb so my amp handles that or my G3 does, but if I was going for just stombox reverb I'd be all over that pedal.

User Info Menu

there was a recent thread about reverbs- the 2012 something or other, it was called.

at any rate- the hardwire supernatural does have lovely spring sounds (and plate, and can be run in stereo), but the other settings are of little to no use to a jazz guy. but its the best spring that i've heard so far, yes.

the dr scientist mini reverberator is what i'm currently going with- its subtle enough to not be an effect and it doesn't sound like you're playing a pedal all the time. one knob, a switch and a rotary dial (plus a volume boost knob) so it is very simple to use. but no spring setting, which is a huge fail. mono only.

would still like to try a strymon flint and a wet, but i don't feel a huge need. would like a stereo pedal, is all.
    Last edited by feet; 10-26-2012 at 08:08 PM.