The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

I know it is not the funniest of the questions but I am looking for a telecaster and I want to know from the production ones which is the cheapest but still good sounding model.

Thank you pals.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I got mine (used) partscaster for $150, which I think was a great bargain. Warmouth neck, supposedly Fender MIM body, Seymour Duncan pickups.

I would think about the used route - could get a decent Squier or Fender MIM or a clone for $100-200 then maybe upgrade pickup if necessary.

Another option would be a new or slightly used Squier Classic Vibe - I like the Thinline CV - $400 new online but I have seen them cheaper in stores. Play a lot of them in the store until you find one that has that nice warm jazzy tone - there seems to be a lot of variation in sound among Fender Teles.

The neat thing about Teles and their clones is you could walk into a pawn shop today with $100 and walk out with a decent versatile guitar that is easily upgradable. Try doing that with an archtop...

Thank you Jeff, but I was meaning a real Fender one, not Squier, not clones.

I know the new reissues (the 52 is really cute!) are great for sure but I am looking for a Fender Telecaster below 1000 $.

Thanks again for your answer.

User Info Menu

Checkout the MIM Fenders always good guitars at good prices. The Road Worn series are great bang for the buck and are MIM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sjl

I know the new reissues (the 52 is really cute!) are great for sure but I am looking for a Fender Telecaster below 1000 $.

I would say that the MIC Squier CVs are real Fenders. Put them side-by-side with MIM Fenders and tell me what the difference is, besides the decal on the headstock? Or is it about the decal?

Ayhowdy, if you gotta get a Fender Tele, I like the classic 60s Tele, because I'm a rosewood board kinda guy:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I would say that the MIC Squier CVs are real Fenders. Put them side-by-side with MIM Fenders and tell me what the difference is, besides the decal on the headstock? Or is it about the decal?

Ayhowdy, if you gotta get a Fender Tele, I like the classic 60s Tele, because I'm a rosewood board kinda guy:

I think if you put them side by side you will notice subtle difference. Body a little bit smaller, thinner, metal parts thinner, fret work very raw, pickups and pots pretty low end. There's a reason they cost less. If into tinkering and modding guitars then they a good deal for a starting point.

User Info Menu

I second the MIM roadworn 50's blond. Great sound. Great feel. Great price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I think if you put them side by side you will notice subtle difference. Body a little bit smaller, thinner, metal parts thinner, fret work very raw, pickups and pots pretty low end. There's a reason they cost less. If into tinkering and modding guitars then they a good deal for a starting point.
    Less so the Classic Vibe Squiers. They are the top of the Squier line. They are spec'ed to Fender standard sizes, so that you can swap necks easily, for example. Their hardware may be a little cheap -- people do upgrade the tuners and the jack, but that's easy to do. My main beef with the CV Teles is that I like chunky necks, but that's not a beef with only Squiers.

And btw, do people know that some Fenders (not Fender Squiers, but Fender-Fenders) are made in China? The Modern Player series:

User Info Menu

Less so the Classic Vibe Squiers. They are the top of the Squier line. They are spec'ed to Fender standard sizes, so that you can swap necks easily, for example. Their hardware may be a little cheap -- people do upgrade the tuners and the jack, but that's easy to do. My main beef with the CV Teles is that I like chunky necks, but that's not a beef with only Squiers.

And btw, do people know that some Fenders (not Fender Squiers, but Fender-Fenders) are made in China? The Modern Player series:

+1 on The Squier CV. I have the Custom, and it's every bit as nice as the American Standard Strat that I used to own.

User Info Menu

I should have also mentioned that the frets on the Squier CVs are nicely finished.

User Info Menu

Please investigate the various G&L Tele-type models. I think you will be suitably impressed and save some money in the process.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by otillio
    Please investigate the various G&L Tele-type models. I think you will be suitably impressed and save some money in the process.
    I'm GASsing for a G&L USA ASAT, which I'd have to custom order because of a long line of options I dream of, like a 1 3/4" nut and ebony fretboard. Unfortunately, my wife is worried about our budget

Anyhow, G&L offers two great kinds of bargains: used USA models and the Asian Legacy line. As far as used guitars go, G&Ls don't seem to hold their value like Fenders, which is good news for the OP. Model-wise, for jazz, I like the ASAT Specials with the jumbo single coil MFD pickups, or the ASAT Bluesboy with the neck humbucker. The Legacy Specials have the same USA-made jumbo pickups as the USA Specials, but the USA Bluesboy has a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover (a sweet pickup!) -- I don't know how the HB in the Legacy Bluesboy compares.

User Info Menu

And btw, do people know that some Fenders (not Fender Squiers, but Fender-Fenders) are made in China? ]
    At one point the MIM were actually made in the USA then shipped to Mexico for the finish and assemble which is less expensive there. Fender had the CNC machines in US so they did all the bodies and necks kept some for USA models and shipped the others. Also can spray nitro finishes in Mexico they can't do in US.

User Info Menu

... and the list of counties where Fender Squiers have been made is quite long: Japan, Mexico, USA, Korea, China and Taiwan, Indonesia, India.

User Info Menu

I have a modded MIM Tele w/maple board that covers jazz well. My ASAT Classic Bluesboy w/Seth Lover humbucker in the neck works well for jazz and other styles too (there are good deals on used ones on eBay from time-to-time).

b_goat

User Info Menu

blacktops are cheap, and they come with hummers

User Info Menu

which is the cheapest but still good sounding
    The cheapest you can find will sound good.

User Info Menu

just buy 2nd hand ...... lots of tele's out there even usa standards at great prices.........

btw i owned a usa standard tele and it was great for jazz but admittedly NOT the cheapest and i still added a 57 classic in neck position which was another expense but it sounded great .......... i regret selling it for what i thought was a better jazz guitar only to really regret it a few weeks later ........so yes tele's are fabulous

User Info Menu

Don't balk at the Squier Custom Vibe or Vintage Modified! I avoided the Squier brand for a long time but spoke with a few knowledgeable sales people that put them ABOVE the Fender Teles made outside the US. But you have to play them in the store. I'd avoid mail order. The first VM I liked sounded great but had a severe neck issue that made it unplayable beyond the 10th fret. There was another right behind it that had no problems. Also consider changing out the jack and switch, as they are the cheapest parts of a Squier, and the first to go.

User Info Menu

I get decent tones out of my Fender MIM '72 reissue. It is straight and reasonably well balanced. I dislike the maple fretboard -- it makes it hard for me to play very subtly. The new price is about $800, I got mine in near new condition for $400.

User Info Menu

All Teles sounds "jazzy" but not like realy arch-top jazz box.