The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Has anyone played a moffa guitar? I am very interested in ordering one, but I want to make sure they are right for me before spending such a large amount of money. Also is there anyone in the Los Angeles area that has a moffa who would be willing to let me check it out?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I saw Rosenwinkel play his a few years back in LA, and he sounded great. Then again, he could sound great with anything!

I like the Moffa design/look, but there are so many other fine luthiers in the States, and for less money ... why not buy local?

User Info Menu

I have a Moffa Maryan on order, due next month.
    I have played Hilmar Jensson's Dark Lorraine - a really nice guitar.

Here's a YouTube playlist I put together of various musicians playing Moffa guitars:

EDIT: I agree with the other comments about the cost of buying a European guitar from US. A Moffa Maryan (16" archtop) would come to nearly $7000 excluding Italian VAT (20%), case, shipping and US import duties and taxes. That sort of price range gives you a lot of choices from US luthiers.
    Last edited by David B; 10-14-2012 at 08:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Great sounding guitars!

User Info Menu

I've played a maryan and wait for one. Really really good guitars and not that expensive for the quality. But there are great luthiers in the states so you don't have to pay so many taxes. If you have the money though, go for it. Do you want an archtop or a semi?

Quote Originally Posted by disco~juice
    I've played a maryan and wait for one. Really really good guitars and not that expensive for the quality. But there are great luthiers in the states so you don't have to pay so many taxes. If you have the money though, go for it. Do you want an archtop or a semi?
    I am interested in getting a semi. Who are some of the great luthiers that live in the states that make more modern sounding semi-hollows?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joberman88
    I am interested in getting a semi. Who are some of the great luthiers that live in the states that make more modern sounding semi-hollows?
    I would definitely take a good look at Victor Baker in NYC:

» Victor Baker Guitars NYC

I believe that prices start at about $4k for carved, $3K for laminate. Gilad Hekselman plays a couple of his small-bodied instruments.

I also love Sadowsky guitars - saw Lage Lund playing the SS-15 (slim hollowbody) last week - great sounding guitar.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys, but after looking and listening to all of these guitars, I still have my eyes on the moffa Lorrraine. My only issue is that since I have not been able to get my hands on one, I don't know how they play. How are moffas playability?

User Info Menu

I recommend Steve Andersen's Vanguard Laminate Fresh Fish #23, $5800: Andersen Stringed Instruments . It has a Nomex-maple 5-ply top.

Can't go wrong with a Steve Andersen in terms of playability and sound. I don't have one but I promise myself, some day.......

Having heard the Kurt Rosenwinkel Moffa sample on YT (YT, mind), I feel that you can get the same acoustic stringy tone with a Steve Andersen and inset humbucker.

Steve has another guitar on the cards: a 3-ply Spruce-Nomex-Spruce top with carved maple back and sides, and a floating pickup. That is something to consider too.

http://www.myjazzhome.com/05_mod17.shtml $6750
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 10-15-2012 at 01:19 AM.

User Info Menu

This is a nice sounding guitar!

User Info Menu

I would say victor baker too.
    Moffas are easy to play, and the sound is really good. But you have to try it for yourself!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joberman88
    Thanks for all of the suggestions guys, but after looking and listening to all of these guitars, I still have my eyes on the moffa Lorrraine. My only issue is that since I have not been able to get my hands on one, I don't know how they play. How are moffas playability?
    OK, this is officially the ubiquitous "I want __ guitar, so don't try talking me out of it ... but what do you guys think of that?" thread.

Joberman, you're new to the Forum, which is great, and no one here knows of your skills/experience/etc. yet, so we're also blind to other critical factors in selecting a guitar [e.g., if this were your first jazz guitar, I'd say, "No way!" etc]. If you want a Moffa and can afford a Moffa, then buy a Moffa! Heck, my wife's Sicilian, so she even liked the idea of a Moffa when I talked to Rosenwinkel about his.

Please post pics/vids once you receive it -- it'll be a killer guitar.

User Info Menu

Joberman
    If you're serious about it, email Nico Moffa. Perhaps there's a Moffa player in the California area that he can put you in contact with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matthew11490
    One thing you should keep in mind, I have other friend bought it recently, sounds good also but not as good as the earlier one, also the finish is quite fragile, maybe because of different weather, it will cracks.
    Moffa finishes his instruments with a violin-style varnish rather than the more typical nitro or poly guitar finishes. When I tried Hilmar Jensson's Dark Lorraine, the back was heavily "reliced"!