The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

I recently suffered a neck injury that has affected my left hand. I lost 55% of the strength in it. I am hoping that it will come back but it is a slow process. I hope to continue playing, but it looks like any serious playing will be curtailed in the future. Anyway, I am going to sell off some of my guitars and amps, keeping just a couple for "therapy".

Most of the stuff I will sell on Ebay, (Hagstrom 800, D'Aspiranta New York, Godin Flat Five) or Craig's List (Twin Reverb Custom 15, Peavey Transtube Bandit, "Black Box".

My biggest concern is selling my 1956 Gibson L4C. It is a beautiful guitar for its age and I am reluctant to sell it on Ebay, and I doubt if there is a CL market for it here, (Philadelphia). I am thinking about finding a broker to sell it. Does anyone here know a reputable broker, and the process of getting listed? Thanks for any help.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Joe at achtop.com is well-regarded.

John Bernunzio at bernunzio.com is another I could recommend.

User Info Menu

I'd sell it on ebay as it's not a super high ticket guitar, but if you want to consign it try Fred Oster in Philly @ vintage instruments.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

How about offering the 1956 L-4C here first? There are some members who seem to show some interest? Pictures and a price will help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    How about offering the 1956 L-4C here first? There are some members who seem to show some interest? Pictures and a price will help.
    Agreed. This is probably the bet place for it. There are educated buyers who put a big premium on a guitar like this. I'd probably put it on the gear Page and the Heritage forum as well.

User Info Menu

you guys.. 50 post!!! hehehe.. actually I was thinking his post is a clever way for his to say.. L4 for sale. I KNOW this was not the intent of the seller but if I was near Phil. I certainly would have noted the guitar as being on the block

Best of luck!

User Info Menu

Fwiw dealers seem to ask 3000-4000 for an L4c in original condition. Consignment rates at the dealers mentioned are 15-20%.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    you guys.. 50 post!!! hehehe.. actually I was thinking his post is a clever way for his to say.. L4 for sale. I KNOW this was not the intent of the seller but if I was near Phil. I certainly would have noted the guitar as being on the block

Best of luck!
    I wish I was so clever. To be truthful I didn't think about listing it here because I only have 30 or so posts. I will probably go to the gear page, or deal with a broker. Thanks for the advice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gibson L4CES
    I wish I was so clever. To be truthful I didn't think about listing it here because I only have 30 or so posts. I will probably go to the gear page, or deal with a broker. Thanks for the advice.
    C'mon, c'mon, the guy has some injury. We could cut him some slack. The "50 posts" criterion was put up to deter the out and out dealers and opportunists from abusing the forum. This guy is genuine so how about we waive the criterion for him?

User Info Menu

Post the FS; in my opinion it is certainly in the spirit of things.

If it gets deleted, then the OP can send the FS text to one of us 50+ repeat offenders and we can post it.

Chris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    C'mon, c'mon, the guy has some injury. We could cut him some slack. The "50 posts" criterion was put up to deter the out and out dealers and opportunists from abusing the forum. This guy is genuine so how about we waive the criterion for him?
    I don't have any problem with it. Gibson L4CES is a member for 3 years now and his intention was not to sell guitars here. I'll look the other way.

User Info Menu

9 South Guitars, Freehold, NJ. Bob Martancik, owner. Deals in higher end vintage and is very reliable. He often has a booth at the Philly area guitar show in the autumn, too. He also has a web page you can check out.

User Info Menu

I thought this was the Heritage Forum ? ! wink wink, nudge nudge ...

User Info Menu

RoyaleT,

Bob's shop has been closed for months, he moved, don't know how he's operating these days. Hope he is doing well though. Even the email address on his old webpage doesn't work any more...

Hey Bob you reading this, stop by Cassville Road for some brisket and cigars.

Mike Hale

User Info Menu

I'm in Philadelphia, and sell on Gbase. Feel free to message me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin52
    I don't have any problem with it. Gibson L4CES is a member for 3 years now and his intention was not to sell guitars here. I'll look the other way.
    Show time.. now he has to post pics lol...

Thanks for all the help and advice. I am posting two pictures of my L4C. I will probably seek out a broker. Right now the market stinks and L4C's are historically undervalued.

Just an update on my neck situation. I have been in physical therapy for 6 weeks now. I originally lost 55% of the strength in my left hand and could not grab even simple chords. Right now I have regained 80% and can play again. I doubt that I will ever have the ability that I once had, but am finding playing to be therapeutic, and it also helps regain strength.

Once again, thanks for the support and advice.

User Info Menu

Pretty!

User Info Menu

What kind of dough do you want? Im in the market. Again.

User Info Menu

Beautiful! What's the neck width?

User Info Menu

You don't say where you live, but a lot of reputable guitar shops will put a guitar on sale for consignment locally. Some may even advertise on the intergoogle. (There are a couple here in the Omaha area.)

That is a pretty guitar. I've got my eye on another vintage guitar right now or...

Re' therapy, playing music is indeed the best therapy one could imagine. I always think there must have been someone who told Django after the fire you'll never play banjo or guitar again...

Also for therapy I would recommend upper body weight/machine work, swimming if possible, handgrip strengtheners, and squishy therapy balls for hand strength. I'm not a physiastrist or physical therapist but I play one on TV...

;-)

User Info Menu

I just noticed Gruhn has an '88 L-4CES *natural* for $3200. Condition described as 'mint'. No affiliation with the site. I do know that if he says ' mint', it's mint. He's also generally on the high side, so that price sounds pretty good. FYI