The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

Anybody has a fender d'aquisto deluxe ?
    which is its value compared with other archtop(gibson es 175 , Ibanez gb 10)
    Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I used about 15 years Fender D'Aquisto Standard.
    I've sold it for $ 2000.
    Deluxe has ebony fingerboard and it is more expensive.
    I think $2300-$2800-not sure.

User Info Menu

Thanks,
    can you tell me more about the sound?

User Info Menu

I also had a blonde standard which was a fine laminate jazz guitar.

Jimmy's made his own laminated electrics, and also designed a similar model with his name for Hagstrom. Later he changed the design (headstock mostly) and it was offered by Fender. See: THE UNIQUE GUITAR BLOG: The Fender D'Aquisto Models

I think the model never was popular because most people didnt associate such a guitar with the name Fender. Also the big black Shaller pickups sounded fine but are often replaced with gibson type of humbuckers for no ther reason than apparently most people did not like the look of them

They are relatively cheap nowadays flip through the completed listings on ebay 1200-1500 for an all original example which I think is great value for a Japanese made guitar with DAquisto association

User Info Menu

Sound is very nice.Warm jazz tone.Very comfortable to play.
    Different then Gibson es-175.

User Info Menu

I think Buffalo Brothers Guitars has a blonde Fender D'Aquisto Standard for sale at around $2000. If you want an idea of what one sounds like, check out some early videos of Lage Lund.

User Info Menu

I don't know if the Elite is the same or a cut above the Deluxe, but I was shocked to see this '84 with a repaired top go for $2800! What was it I didn't know about these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Fender-...vip=true&rt=nc

A used 16" Fender selling for as much as a tap tuned Heritage Golden Eagle!?

As they say on ESPN: C'mon MAN!!!!!!
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 10-08-2012 at 01:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I don't know if the Elite is the same or a cut above the Deluxe, but I was shocked to see this '84 with a repaired top go for $2800! What was it I didn't know about these?

1984 Fender D?Aquisto Elite Electric Archtop Guitar OHSC NO RESERVE Free Ship | eBay

A used 16" Fender selling for as much as a tap tuned Heritage Golden Eagle!?

As they say on ESPN: C'mon MAN!!!!!!
    Wow. I have this same guitar in black. Thank God with no defects at all and still in excellent shape, not even considering its age. It's pretty much been my baby over the years, and I'll never part with it. (I call it my "grand piano" because of all the black and ebony.) Love that sunburst finish, too, though. (There was a natural finish as well.)

Definitely a great playing and sounding guitar. Yes, different than a 175 for sure, but I'll leave it to others to get more specific than that since I have very little experience with the Gibson myself. My Elite is 100% original, and I happen to enjoy the tonal variety you can get with that single pickup. Full open, it gets maybe just a bit too bright for my taste, but with the volume and tone both rolled off a bit... SO nice.

An interesting story: I was fortunate to study with Jim Hall about 25 years ago, and he told me at the time that he had "a couple" of the Fender D'Aquistos and that they were "really nice guitars". (I've since assumed they were kept more as back-up guitars, etc., because I've never seen any photos or mentions of him using one.) Anyway, by the end of that week-long seminar, we had become pretty friendly, and as the last class was clearing out and while Jim was collecting his paperwork, he actually allowed me to me play THE D'Aquisto (yeah, that one!) he had brought along. So I actually got to play it for maybe four or five minutes, and his guitar felt and sounded SO much like my Fender that I was stunned; the Jimmy D'Aquisto parentage was more than apparent, even if mine was "only" a distant cousin! (Of course, if I could only make it sound like Jim!)

Anyway, I'd have to assume that they're selling high nowadays because of the D'Aquisto connection (and it says "Designed by D'Aquisto" inlaid right on the headstock), as well as the generally high opinion of Japanese production, especially from that era. Plus, I think that they're somewhat rare (mine was ordered new in 1984, as one of the last five available in the Fender warehouse at the time!). Not to mention that they're gorgeous (IMHO).

Yeah, those are high prices, but I've seen the Elites going up near that range over the past few years (none this high, however). And compared to a Heritage GE... well, there are Les Pauls and Strats going for that much and more, so it's pretty hard to compare, I suppose. I guess that they're all somehow worth what folks think they are... and are willing to pay.

Yup. Keeping mine.
    Last edited by ooglybong; 10-09-2012 at 02:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's an interesting YouTube video, and I think it will give you a pretty good idea of what the Fender D'Aquisto Elite can sound like. Obviously turned down quite a bit (played here thru an AI Corus), it definitely projects an acoustic character even when plugged in, but it does have some decent acoustic volume unplugged, too (although I prefer to plug it in at lower levels like in this video). IMO, you can pretty much imagine Jim Hall getting his tone out of one of these, too...

Last edited by ooglybong; 10-09-2012 at 02:42 PM.

User Info Menu

2600 for one with top cracks is outrageous they are very nice guitars but if you buy at that price you didnt do your homework

The standard 2 pu model can be picked up on ebay, at about 1200-1500, an elite with the single pu like 1800 or maybe a bit more when it is completely mint and at a dealer see for instance 1984 Fender D'Aquisto Elite Blonde > Guitars : Archtop Electric & Acoustic - Laurence Wexer Ltd. | Gbase.com

I think besides maybe Jim Hall also Tal Farlow also had one. Fender was really pushy with the model and gave many away to high profile players and music schools. The model still never caught on so much mostly since people associate Fender with the Strats and Teles. Nothing wrong with the guitar it is quite a sleeper in the vintage market, early Japanese made guitar with a classic design, 16" body plays and sounds well what more can you say

User Info Menu

This thread got me hunting, I guess. Here's one more video of a D'Aquisto Elite in action, but with a more "bodied" electric jazz tone (i.e., not quite so turned down and acoustic in nature). I think these various videos posted here would be a good indication to the OP as to what constitutes the sound of these fine guitars.

Heh heh. OK, I'll stop now.
    Last edited by ooglybong; 10-09-2012 at 02:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Jimmy R !

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

D'AQUISTO with a Q, ooglybong. I don't think Jimmy would appreciate being called D'AGUISTO. Sounds Brooklynese.

Don't think the guy with ZERO feedback and new ebay registrant who "WON" that Fender D'Aquisto Elite would pay up. Got overenthusiastic bidding. Elites sell for $1800 tops in fine fettle. Those who pay over $1800 for them need to do their homework.

The Ibanez JP20 is another Japanese D'Aquisto-styled archtop in the same vein. They go for well under $1400.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    2600 for one with top cracks is outrageous they are very nice guitars but if you buy at that price you didnt do your homework

The standard 2 pu model can be picked up on ebay, at about 1200-1500, an elite with the single pu like 1800 or maybe a bit more when it is completely mint and at a dealer see for instance 1984 Fender D'Aquisto Elite Blonde > Guitars : Archtop Electric & Acoustic - Laurence Wexer Ltd. | Gbase.com

I think besides maybe Jim Hall also Tal Farlow also had one. Fender was really pushy with the model and gave many away to high profile players and music schools. The model still never caught on so much mostly since people associate Fender with the Strats and Teles. Nothing wrong with the guitar it is quite a sleeper in the vintage market, early Japanese made guitar with a classic design, 16" body plays and sounds well what more can you say

I'd agree re the price on this repaired one. My 1984 Elite is pretty much mint, and I'm not even sure it could fetch that much. Interesting what a feeding frenzy of 27 bids on eBay will getcha, though, isn't it?

As to the Fender name on this guitar... At that same Jim Hall seminar I attended back in about '87, some guy actually came over near me while I was playing and 'casually' commented (i.e., with some snobby attitude involved) that "...you can't play jazz on a Fender". Of course, that fellow was a total moron (and I was doing a pretty good job with the "jazz" at that particular moment), but it does go to show what brand image can do for or against any guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    That one was done by Stephen Stern, now with the Gretsch Custom Shop. Apparently, Stephen understudied Jimmy D'Aquisto before being let loose on these guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    D'AQUISTO with a Q, ooglybong. I don't think Jimmy would appreciate being called D'AGUISTO. Sounds Brooklynese.
    OMG! I am SO sorry. I do that ALL the time, and I certainly DO know better. I've had the guitar since 1984 and you'd tink I da gotten it straight by dis point.

I shall now go back and edit my spelling throughout this thread. Thanks for the heads up, Jabberwocky. Even if I was born in Brooklyn (and I really was).

(Five minutes later... Phew. Thanks again, Jabberwocky!)
    Last edited by ooglybong; 10-09-2012 at 02:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, here's another for $1950 that's reportedly near mint at a dealer...perhaps an ebayer over paid?

1984 Fender D'Aquisto Elite Blonde > Guitars : Archtop Electric & Acoustic - Laurence Wexer Ltd. | Gbase.com

User Info Menu

Scroll up 8 posts same guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ooglybong
    This thread got me hunting, I guess. Here's one more video of a D'Aquisto Elite in action, but with a more "bodied" electric jazz tone (i.e., not quite so turned down and acoustic in nature). I think these various videos posted here would be a good indication to the OP as to what constitutes the sound of these fine guitars.

Heh heh. OK, I'll stop now.
    You think I'd touch that fender if I've got that Super 400 sitting 5 feet from me? Well, maybe for a minute.

User Info Menu

Nice jazz box...Fender D'Aquisto Standard.
    I.ve used it 15 years.

User Info Menu

Looks and sounds like a very good deal when compared to this: Borys Guitar Archtop Jazz BG-100 | eBay .

User Info Menu

I've played an elite and thought it was a very good guitar, but not super super great. I remember the sound being very well balanced plugged in, but without a great deal of character. I Like the design and concept a lot

Looks and sounds like a very good deal when compared to this: Borys Guitar Archtop Jazz BG-100 | eBay .
    I've always wanted to play one of those since seeing Emily Remler's video years ago. To me it seems like almost the perfect axe for what I want. If I had a spare $4500...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 3625
    I've played an elite and thought it was a very good guitar, but not super super great. I remember the sound being very well balanced plugged in, but without a great deal of character. I Like the design and concept a lot

I've always wanted to play one of those since seeing Emily Remler's video years ago. To me it seems like almost the perfect axe for what I want. If I had a spare $4500...
    +1

User Info Menu

Jimmy D'Aquisto worked with Roger Borys and Barry Galbraith on the design of the BG-100. This link may be of interest on this subject ...

Borys Guitar

Roger Borys also made laminate plates for Jimmy D'Aquisto's own laminate guitars.
    Last edited by Bill C; 10-10-2012 at 05:41 AM.