The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hi fellas, as I told here before Im moving from rock/blues to Jazz and I just sold my Parker guitar today and I have a small budget of £250 to buy some USED guitar and I was thinking that a Tele thinline could be the best option to get a decent jazz sound from the neck (Hum or P90) and keep rocking the blues with the bridge one, so what's the best thinline for this price used? maybe some of those G&L? Agile? or just look for some old japan model from Greco, Tokai..

I guess there's a lot of more options that u guys know, by the way I have a friend selling me 2 Dussenberg picks, one P90 neck and one Hum bridge so I think I will upgrade the thinline Ill get with these picks..

I could consider other model option, I mean, something like a 335 or similar but I guess those ones are more expensive, right?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't think the Tele thinline sounds all that different from a standard Tele -- your mileage may vary. but its lighter weight is the main difference to me.

Ok... lets say any good tele used for about $400 (250 pounds) or so, or any new?

User Info Menu

Actually I think the '72 reissue thinline is a great choice. Any Tele works. But the MIJ '72 RI has two Fender buckers already. They are not PAF style, but they are really versatile and there is a tone control, after all.

User Info Menu

My latest acquisition in the cheapo category was a Samick JZ 123, a single cutaway semi made in Korea and the predecessor of the Royale line. They come with generic humbuckers but I put single coil Vintage Vibe HCC's in mine but have been thinking about swapping those out for a pair of Duncan Phat Cats I have in another guitar. I got it as New-Old-Stock on Ebay for $327 USD. Nice comfortable neck and built like a tank.

User Info Menu

I think the $400 would limit your selection to only a few thousand used teles. Good luck.

Cheers mates, yep there's a lot of used stuff, one thing that confuse me about the Squier and Fenders is that looks like all the new cheap models look nicer than the old ones from the late 90s,etc.. but probably no so good than the old Japanese...
    Are those SX, Agiles and rondo stuff like Richwood decent?

User Info Menu

g&l does make great tele's. i would also check out SX/Agile, but the problem with those is the hardware tends to be crap. nothing a new set of tuners and pots can't fix

User Info Menu

Have a look at the Squier 'Classic Vibe' series of Telecasters - there's a few models, including thinlines and humbucker versions, all at around the £250 mark. I had the Classic Vibe '50s Tele for a while. Great guitar, at any price!

If you want to look at a '335' style guitar, I've seen Epiphone Sheraton's go for as low as £230 in recent weeks on eBay UK. Yamaha also had a very nice model called the SA500 that you could certainly get used in your budget.

Then there's a range of Ibanez 'Artcore' semi-hollow and hollow guitars. More than a few options if you're prepared to buy used and keep an eye out for a deal.

what about thins one? I didnt know this model, looks great...

IBANEZ ARTCORE AWD72-ATF Hollow Body Semi Acoustic Guitar With Hardcase | eBay

User Info Menu

Good afternoon, Acidguitar (or may I call you Acid..?)...

Here's my recommendation...

Xaviere Guitars XV600...

...I've had one for several years now, and all is excellent (sound, finish, fittings... everything...). Very rapid delivery (to France...), it's become my 'go-to' guitar for most styles (not just jazz...).

Attachment 4654

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Dad3353; 10-07-2012 at 06:33 AM.

Unfortunately those rondo seem to be difficult to find in the UK, maybe they use another names... do u think that Xaviere is the same or even better than a Squier vintage mod tele custom? I just found one for £140...

User Info Menu

Acid...

I got my Xaviere from the States, it wasn't difficult or costly (200€ delivered to my door, in a hard case...).
    The Squiers have an excellent reputation; you can't go far wrong at that price, I'd have thought..?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Actually I think the '72 reissue thinline is a great choice. Any Tele works. But the MIJ '72 RI has two Fender buckers already. They are not PAF style, but they are really versatile and there is a tone control, after all.
    Opinions vary on humbuckers on Fenders. Most folks agree that Fender's single coils are much better. And the reissue Wide-Range Humbuckers aren't like the originals; they're just ordinary HBs in a wider case. You can always swap pickups, though.

I have to confess that Im really impress with the quality of all those cheap chinese, I always liked some korean guitars, the old japanese are my favourites ever even over some american that I used to have long time ago, still not really trusting the chinese, I have to try to find some here around and play it to see how I feel.

The squier CV 50s is winning now quality price

Anyone knows the Hondo from the 80s? or the Gould? I found a couple of these ones really cheap (around 140) and look great, specially the neck, both korean from the early 80s I think... better than the Squier CV?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Acidguitar
    Anyone knows the Hondo from the 80s? or the Gould? I found a couple of these ones really cheap (around 140) and look great, specially the neck, both korean from the early 80s I think... better than the Squier CV?
    No personal experience with Hondo or Gould but Hondos in particular have a dreadful reputation.

There are, IMO, better options out there. If you're looking for something other than a Tele (for which there have been some really good recommendations), there's this:

Epiphone es-339 Pro - Semi Hollow Guitar - Blonde | eBay

or a used Ibanez AGS83b (I've owned one for years and I'm not selling it).

Both are perfectly fine guitars that are capable of convincing jazz tones but can rock out as well.

thanks man, what about the sherathon 2 made in china?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Acidguitar
    thanks man, what about the sherathon 2 made in china?
    Consider a Korean Dot and save some money if you can forego the Sheraton bling. I had a 1999 Dot made in the Samick factory that was a fine instrument including the pickups and electronics. I sold it when I started to play my ES 355 again. A used Korean Dot or even Sheraton should be less expensive than a newer Chinese made Sheraton.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Opinions vary on humbuckers on Fenders. Most folks agree that Fender's single coils are much better. And the reissue Wide-Range Humbuckers aren't like the originals; they're just ordinary HBs in a wider case. You can always swap pickups, though.
    +1

I don't think it's mandatory to use h-buckers on a Tele for Jazz. After all they may give the guitar a great Jazz tone but if the OP wants to maintain his Tele/Blues tones as well I would think something like Alnico II single coils would cover the bases as well while still maintaining the Teles signature sound.
    Last edited by BEACHBUM; 10-10-2012 at 11:55 PM.

User Info Menu

The G&L ASAT is a Telecaster-style with very nice humbucker sound. The Korean-made version is really nice and used ones can be had for $400.00. Here's the late great Ted Greene explaining why he likes his: