The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46

User Info Menu

Looks like I might be in for a fair bit of traveling over the next year.
    Just curious what my options are in the world of travel guitars.
    Thanks!
    Joe

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I LOOOOVE my traveler!

Pro-Series - Traveler Guitar

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...er-guitar.html

Full size neck and string spacing, quiet as possible when not plugged in, is the smallest I think a guitar could possible be...I can play it in an airline seat, fit it into a backpack*

The tone is what it is, I just use it to practice.

*sort of

User Info Menu

There are some lovely travel guitars in acoustic and electric flavours, like the Traveler. Heritage used to make a solid-body electric travel guitar called the "Little One" - looked very cool.

A good cheap option for a new full-scale solid-body electric is the Chinese-made Hofner Shorty, that comes in metallic black, red, blue, or straight up pink, with a cheap gig bag. Street price is @$150. Not the end of the world if it gets lost or stolen.

It's based on a really excellent quality original that was made in Germany by Hofner in the 1980s. The originals can be found once in awhile on ebay for a few hundred dollars, and and are very nicely made, with Schaller hardware and either Schaller or Shadow pickups.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 09-14-2012 at 02:04 PM.

User Info Menu

I've had this one for over 10 years: Vagabond Travel Guitar

User Info Menu

yamaha guitelele... a 6 string nylon uke damn i love those things

User Info Menu

Frameworks

User Info Menu

Frameworks guitars are way too expensive. I know they're great, but as a travel ax they don't make sense.

I was "this" close to buying a Soloette nylon string hybrid for a trip I'm currently on. I will get one later this year. $925 but from all accounts they are great guitars, and since I don't have a nylon guitar I can get double duty out of it. I did try the Traveler electric at a shop, but it's still around $600 and I think the Soloette is well worth the extra cost. It's a luthier built instrument.

User Info Menu

sounds pretty good, would be nice if they made one with a 24 3/4 scale as well

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    Frameworks guitars are way too expensive. I know they're great, but as a travel ax they don't make sense.
    Yes, Frameworks guitars *are* expensive. Yet they are pieces of art and they are high-end quality gear. Call it snobish, but to me it is just wonderful to have a nice instrument with me that plays nice, sounds nice and looks nice so that i have real fun playing it while i am on the road (which is a lot). It is the only way for me to ensure that I consistently practice and make progress. I had a crappy short scale guitar for travelling before and it killed all of the fun while travelling. I understand perfectly well that the price tag might well be prohibitive - but to say these guitars don't make sense is too harsh IMHO. Its a pro quality instrument that in the hands of a good player (not me) is perfectly worthy of gigging with.

User Info Menu

I prefer an acoustic for a travel guitar. I've traveled with a Martin LX1 for years and it has a surprisingly good sound. I was once sitting in the airport in San Antonio faced with a thunderstorm delay. I headed to a back corner to play guitar a bit. Mariachi's doing their airport gig happened along. They hung out for awhile and we played a few tunes together including my all time favorite version of Santana's Oye Como Va with accordian and trumpet.

Amazon.com: Martin LX1 Little Martin Acoustic Guitar: Musical Instruments

If I were going electric, probably just get one of the later inexpensive Steinberger's.
    Last edited by Spook410; 09-15-2012 at 01:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    Yes, Frameworks guitars *are* expensive. Yet they are pieces of art and they are high-end quality gear. Call it snobish, but to me it is just wonderful to have a nice instrument with me that plays nice, sounds nice and looks nice so that i have real fun playing it while i am on the road (which is a lot). It is the only way for me to ensure that I consistently practice and make progress. I had a crappy short scale guitar for travelling before and it killed all of the fun while travelling. I understand perfectly well that the price tag might well be prohibitive - but to say these guitars don't make sense is too harsh IMHO. Its a pro quality instrument that in the hands of a good player (not me) is perfectly worthy of gigging with.
    +1:-)
    Framework is not only a travel guitar...this is a great instrument and travel guitar!
    All another travel guitars are toys for me.

User Info Menu

I've been thinking this for some time but haven't actually done it. Why not take an inexpensive Tele and unbolt the neck, then fold it up with a towel or pad to protect the strings, and put it in a padded bag - gig back for viola or small scale guitar, etc.? you could even pack it with luggage.

Looks like Dan Erlewine is thinking the same way...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3849924&type=3

I have heard of this being done, in fact I think a good business opportunity would be to design a folding case for just such a purpose. I'm not sure you would even need to remove the strings if you pad it properly.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 09-15-2012 at 09:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Hey I'm not knocking anyone who's got a Frameworks. I'm sure they're fantastic guitars. But don't they cost around $3,000? I'm just saying that's a lot of money for a "travel guitar" if that will be its sole/primary use. If one can get double or triple duty out of it (use it to take to lessons, jams, leave at cottage, etc) then the cost does not seem excessive. And it sounds like they could be someone's "main guitar" in which case the price is totally reasonable.

User Info Menu

If you like steel string acoustics, the Composite Acoustic Cargo is a fabulous little guitar. It's a bit pricey and a short (22.75") scale length but as an musical instrument, it really works.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    If you like steel string acoustics, the Composite Acoustic Cargo is a fabulous little guitar. It's a bit pricey and a short (22.75") scale length but as an musical instrument, it really works.
    If I were buying a travel guitar today, this is what I would want.

Seeing prices all over the place (pre vs post Peavey?) but you can find them for under $1K.
    Last edited by Spook410; 09-15-2012 at 01:55 PM.

User Info Menu

what about ken parker archtops... the neck coems right off

I bought a headless guitar spirit by steinberger and changed PU and you don't have to make a compromise according to scale length, since it's a fender-scale. Even the original steinberger aren't expensive, but i guess it's not everyones cup of tea with active PU's.

User Info Menu

For nylon string playing I use 2 guitars. 1. a Jose Ramirez 2CWE and / or 2. a Soloette Nylon String Hybrid. Based on my experience I say the Soloette is a great tool; absolutely no toy ! (C'mon Kris)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henkkicken
    For nylon string playing I use 2 guitars. 1. a Jose Ramirez 2CWE and / or 2. a Soloette Nylon String Hybrid. Based on my experience I say the Soloette is a great tool; absolutely no toy ! (C'mon Kris)
    Soloette are also nice guitars...very similar construction to Frameworks.
    I used one about two years...not bad at all after few upgrades.
    but..Frameworks has very profesional pick up/RMS with midi axe/,my model has very interesting bridge/you can set perfect intonation one very string seperatly/.Neck and body is one piece of wood-this made great sustain.
    Ebony fingerboard is perfect/exelent fretwork/.Fat frames made this instrument very comfortable.

User Info Menu

IMHO keywords are e.g. purpose, demands ... I don't take one of my archtops or Ramirez on the road when I'm on vacation or business trip. For staying on top of my technique I wanted a guitar that features the ultimate in ease of portability and amenities that are comparable to my regular gear. A durable travel companion that performs well when plugged in to a standard amp, and even serves me well in an impromptu gig or jam session.
    I chose the Soloette Hybrid. Someone else might prefer the steel string model. Soloette's other models, e.g. The Jazz with ebony fb etc. are nice instruments too and no doubts about the Frameworks either, but do these more expensive ones further my personal goal ? No way
    Last edited by henkkicken; 09-16-2012 at 05:45 AM.

User Info Menu

The problem is that I like so much to play on Frameworks/modern classical/ that I can sale all my guitars and stay only with one./I think about that.
    It is perfect for my style of playing.

User Info Menu

Wow Kris monogamous ! Wouldn't call that a problem ... Haha, just kidding, I heard you play the Frameworks; like your playing and the axe sure sounds great. Take care

User Info Menu

+1 CA Guitar

User Info Menu

I have one of these:

Travel Electric Guitar | Travel Guitar | Portable Guitar

It's awesome. Neck comes off, "stringkeeper" keeps the strings in order. Fits in a standard suitcase. Sounds awesome. Full scale neck and humbucker in the neck position. Russ Strobel answers e-mails too.

User Info Menu

No one's mentioned these yet, and since price is not a factor in this thread, here goes: Kinal Kompact Guitar