Likes Likes:  0
    Hey everybody, quick question

So I am in the hunt for a cheap ($700 or less, but could probably do 800) nylon string guitar that will be good for jazz and blues. I have played with the idea of a Takamine EG522C, but know I could probably find something that would fit what I need a bit more (even though I do love the sound on the takamine, it seems a bit too warm for jazz). Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A Yamaha CG171 is nice for around 600-700. You probably want a guitar with a cutaway. Cordoba has a few models that look nice. Check out

Classical Guitars & Flamenco Guitars, Almansa, Alhambra, Ramirez CLassical Guitars & Accessories

User Info Menu

Wanderingartist,
    For over a year I've been playing a Yamaha Silent Guitar, which is a classic box-less gut-box (the neck is 52 mm wide at the nut). I would venture into recommending it to everyone who is slave to the "get real and be practical" principle.
    The instrument comes with a gig-bag, a wall-mart power supply, a pair of earplug-type headphones and the lot is barely touching the 2 kg mark. It is (as it is the case with all Yamaha guitars) a mixed bag - some generic parts, some well conceived trade-offs, an excellent DSP chip (however, a glutton for batteries) and a very convincing reverb for spicing up the nice and malleable feedback-free sound. In those, somewhat less happier parts of the world (where I live) this guitar bears a price tag that is between the two figures you mentioned in your post.

User Info Menu

check out la patrie's too (a subsidiary of godin)

inexpensive, well made, and earth friendlier wood options on some. i love my cheap 'ol "etude."

but blues on a nylon? you might have something new going there man, not too many folks doing that...good on ya.

User Info Menu

I really like my Ibanez AEG10NE! Not a great classical, jazz, or blues guitar but I play all three styles on it and everyone says it sounds great!

Cutaway, good electronics, classical style neck; good amplified or not and very cheap!

I find Ibanez frets and tuners are crappy though. My primary guitar right now until I can buy a real jazz guitar, (old-timey), and a good Ramirez for classical.

Sailor

User Info Menu

I rather fancy a Crafter CT125 .A solid body nylon stringed electric with an modern style neck not a wide spanish type .Looks very interesting .Many years ago I used to play nylon string jazz on an old spanish top>it taught me a lot and I still have an odd flamenco flick when I play finger style electric on just about any type of music .Some blues riffs sound great using it .Real bite .Neck was far too wide for me but I always like that Charlie Bird style and you could certainly play blues on it .Davey Graham was another early influence and both Bird and Graham have a similar classic/jazz crossover vibe

User Info Menu

I have a Cordoba Koa that has a pretty nice tone. You should be able to get one under $800. The guitar is quite beautiful as well because of the Koa wood. It's unplugged tone is a bit quiet, but not bad. The electronics are nice and don't produce that "quacky" sound that some nylon stringed electric-acoustics do. Pretty good action - not too low, but quite playable. I put Daddario high tension "recording" strings on it - they are semi-flat round or something like that and do a decent job reducing finger noiser after you break them in.

My old Yamaha C40 ($125) has a better tone, frankly, but I have to mic it externally (which I really prefer) and it doesn't have a cut-away. I'm always amazed, though at how beautiful the thing sounds when recorded externally. It's so cheap!

User Info Menu

Goofsus4 - I would like to know what mic, PA, or amp you use for your nylon string. I play an Ibanez nylon string w/electrics now, bit I'm interested in mic -ing a regular classical too. I love jazz on nylon, but have never gigged with this set-up before.

Sailor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Goofsus4 - I would like to know what mic, PA, or amp you use for your nylon string. I play an Ibanez nylon string w/electrics now, bit I'm interested in mic -ing a regular classical too. I love jazz on nylon, but have never gigged with this set-up before.

Sailor
    First of all, let me declare: I am not a recording or live performance expert in any shape form or fashion.

But anyhoo, for just pure external micing of a pure acoustical guitar like my Yamaha C40, I use a Shure SM57 instrument mic positioned close to the soundhole (experiment for best sound). Then I plug that directly into my Yamaha mixing amplifier. This mixing amp has on-board tone controls and effects such as reverb so I can then output directly to my speakers (JBL 12 inch).

To record, I just route this to my Boss digital recorder. The digital recorder has onboard effects as well, so I usually just pass it through the amp neutrally when I record, then apply any effects like reverb to it at the recording stage. This seems to work very well for the classical.

But to record an electric guitar, I mic the amp directly. The routing goes from the guitar to my effects pedals then to the amp, then to the mic, then on to the mixing amp, then on to PA or recorder.