The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What gauge strings on your archtop?

Voters
812. You may not vote on this poll

37 4.56%

165 20.32%

385 47.41%

205 25.25%
  • other

58 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 301

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    It does have a place to translate into French, but not English, or did I miss something ?
    Thomastik-Infeld Electric Guitar Single Strings

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Does anybody know what string gauge has Mike Moreno and Gilad Hekselman?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D

So, I'm guessing - so far - for me an ideal set would be TI's 12/50's but with 24, 32, & 42 3rd, 4th, & 5th, strings respectively.

Does this make sense, and / or am I missing anything ?

Thx !
    Dennis, I've toying with this idea but lack the testicular fortitude to go ahead with it: T-I JS110. Toss out the 10p. Move the strings up. Either use an 18W or sub an 18p. JS53 for the bass E2 string. This makes a 14p, 18p/18W, 23W, 33W, 44W, 53W or 12p/13p, 16p/17p, 23W, 33W, 44W, 53W.

The tension goes up considerably. I figure that turns it into a 180 to 190 pound set. What do you think? Workable?

The 10p, 14p and 18W won't be wasted if tossed out from the set because they can go on to my semi-hollows and solid-bodies.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 02-16-2017 at 04:08 PM.

User Info Menu

.13 gauge round wounds on all of my guitars (all have a 24.75" scale length). If I owned any 25.5" scale length guitars I would put .12s on them in order to keep the feel and tension consistent. Honestly if they made a .15 gauge string set I'd try them. I like feeling like I'm battling the instrument.

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John Link
    I too play a Bravo, (an early one made in Calif.) and I have it strung with TI 12 Swings also. I run through either a Acoustic Image Corus or a Fender Deluxe Reverb amp.

I tried almost every type of string on it. The TI Swings are my favorite, but I also really like GHS Compound round rounds on it.
    If you play the Bravo unplugged, how do find the sound of the G notes on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings? Do find the attack and decay to be similar to other notes?

User Info Menu

Lately I've been changing to save money and hassle of keeping so many different sets around so moving all my guitars to 12's. I was using a mix of 12's and 13's round wound, semi-rounds, pure nickel, nickel and so on, now moving to all 12's nickel round wounds and one guitar semi-rounds to be my thumper traditional Jazz box.

One guitar does seem like 13's, but I will adjust my playing and make 12's work. I was listening to a Branford Marsalis interview about (sax) gear and sound. Sax players can get like guitarists and keep changing reeds type, ligatures, mouthpieces trying to change their sound, Branford said he used to to that until he realize his sound changed when he changed who he listened to. When Branford listened to someone with the sound he wanted he started making himself change to find that sound that he didn't need to change the horn. So I figure with changes in touch, pick angle, and position on the string I can find the sound I want now with 12's.
    Last edited by docbop; 04-21-2017 at 12:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Lately I've been changing to save money and hassle of keeping so many different sets around so moving all my guitars to 12's. I was using a mix of 12's and 13's round wound, semi-rounds, pure nickel, nickel and so on, now moving to all 12's nickel round wounds and one guitar semi-rounds to be my thumper traditional Jazz box.

One guitar does seem like it was with 13's, but I will adjust my playing and make 12's work. I was listening to a Branford Marsalis interview about (sax) gear and sound. Sax players can get like guitarists and keep changing reeds type, ligatures, mouthpieces trying to change their sound, Branford said he used to to that until he realize his sound changed when he changed who he listened to. When Branford listened to someone with the sound he wanted he started making himself change to find that sound that he didn't need to change the horn. So I figure with changes in touch, pick angle, and position on the string I can find the sound I want now with 12's.
    I like this post. Gear is just gear. Find what works best for you and start making music!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I've pretty much done the same. Most of my guitars have D'Addario .012 pure nickel strings. I've tried many different strings, and I keep going back to those. I've decided it's just not worth the time or money to bother with others. I have a couple that still have other strings, but I'll probably use the EPN21 sets whenever I change those strings. I'm in no hurry, but eventually I expect to standardize on one set, and buy them cheaper by buying more at a time. Shipping is comparatively expensive, but gets much cheaper as you buy more sets at a time.

User Info Menu

I have posted a few times about this

why dont people get it anyway, Ti JS 13 are not a true 13 guage flatwound set, but are closer to 11-12 of most other brands

taking the 13 & 17 out of the equation, even the Ti Thomastic 13 & 17 are thinner than most other brands,

good strings, but lighter than most 12 gauges sets let alone 13

The GB14's totally market BS swill, get any brand of 12 Flatswound swapout 1st & 2nd
    for heavier any brand will do .

I am using Kurt Mangan bought first time a month 11-52 thro out the 1st & 2nd put regular 13 & 17

Kurt was Production manger for Ernie Ball for years and years, No affiliation whatsoever ever good strings at 55% of price. Iam very happy with tone feel intonation and tuning.

I use Chrome 13-56 on GB10 13-52 on my AS200 83,

THOMASTIC JS13 are roundcore you cannot get Roundcore on heavier gauges

Rotosound are crap and cause tuning problems they DO NOT HAVE the same harmonic content,
    Thomastic and Chromes do as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Dennis, I've toying with this idea but lack the testicular fortitude to go ahead with it: T-I JS110. Toss out the 10p. Move the strings up. Either use an 18W or sub an 18p. JS53 for the bass E2 string. This makes a 14p, 18p/18W, 23W, 33W, 44W, 53W or 12p/13p, 16p/17p, 23W, 33W, 44W, 53W.

The tension goes up considerably. I figure that turns it into a 180 to 190 pound set. What do you think? Workable?

The 10p, 14p and 18W won't be wasted if tossed out from the set because they can go on to my semi-hollows and solid-bodies.
    I just finished one year with TI 113's on my '50's L-7......the difference in tension of strings 3 & 4 vs the rest of the set was noticeable, and I didn't like the feel. The strings themselves didn't last any longer that Chromes or Pyramids.
    So, I'm going with 13/56 Chromes this time. Ideally, I'd like to reduce that low E, but we'll see. D'A does offer a Chrome in .052 , so maybe. Next year I may try Half-Rounds, but this L-7 & it's frets ( ' skinny ' ) and scale length ( ' long ' ) dictate 13's, so at least now I know that much.

Good luck Jabs on your search too & thx !!

Hope this helps.

Dennis

User Info Menu

Since I voted in this poll, I now have 3 instruments with .014s: one with the black tape Labella's and two with the TI Benson 14s.

User Info Menu

I have switched to a custom set of Vinci nickel-plated roundwounds (.013-.050). It's an odd set of gauges but it balances really well both acoustically and electrically. The electric bassiness is reduced so it is not so pronounced but acoustically the warm bass is there. I use 'em on both my Tele and my archtop.

User Info Menu

The LeGrand sports original Gibson rounds, likely .011's
    The Guild X175 B has D'Addario .010 flatwounds
    The Hagstrom Viking Deluxe with TV Jones Supertron pu's wears NYXL .010's

User Info Menu

.011 Flatw on Epi Sheraton, but...
    .010 - .052 on Tele (HB in neck). Yeah, still bending from time to time...

User Info Menu

A recent convert to 11s (GHS Brite Flats) on the archtop - Used 12s and then 13s for years, but had/have 11s roundwounds on all my other solid or semi-acoustic guitars. Anyhow, I had the GHS set sitting around, and thought I'd bung them on and see - somewhat skeptical, but the guitar plays more fluidly, and the volume is not diminished - not that it's a loud guitar acoustically anyhow - a laminate top Ibanez JP20. It still sounds like an archtop, but I can put the odd bit of vibrato and note bends/shading in more easily, hammer-ons/pull-offs I guess work a bit better. The change helps with my style of playing anyhow (such as it is ).

User Info Menu

I read through the thread to remind myself what I was using back in 2012 but apparently I never commented.

I was using TI flats for a very long time, usually 13 or 14 gauge sets. I found them early in my jazz guitar journey, less than a year after I started playing back in the 90s. A couple of years ago my ears started to change and now I prefer a brighter, more defined and balanced sound when playing in groups so I switched to 12 TI Bebops (using a wound 3rd string) for about half a year. They are still my favorite round sound string and I have sets to spare so I will always have one guitar string with them but after that I moved to D’Addario half rounds, 13s, and then for the past 6 months or so I have slowly been replacing them with 13 Chromes. The chromes really sound good to me and I am considering ordering some GHS flats because I remember those being brighter too. Particularly on my L5 that is what I want because it isn’t overly bright even with the tone all the way up - it reminds me more of a Wes sound too not rolling off the tone at all and trying to find a brighter flat sound. I think my pick technique has also changed which might be why I am preferring brighter flats. It has been easily 10 years since I tried GHS so I don’t remember exactly, just that then see bright.

Would GHS be the brightest kind of flat, generally speaking? I am also considering trying to beef up the E string and try the Pat Martino thing but don’t know if I really need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    I read through the thread to remind myself what I was using back in 2012 but apparently I never commented.

I was using TI flats for a very long time, usually 13 or 14 gauge sets. I found them early in my jazz guitar journey, less than a year after I started playing back in the 90s. A couple of years ago my ears started to change and now I prefer a brighter, more defined and balanced sound when playing in groups so I switched to 12 TI Bebops (using a wound 3rd string) for about half a year. They are still my favorite round sound string and I have sets to spare so I will always have one guitar string with them but after that I moved to D’Addario half rounds, 13s, and then for the past 6 months or so I have slowly been replacing them with 13 Chromes. The chromes really sound good to me and I am considering ordering some GHS flats because I remember those being brighter too. Particularly on my L5 that is what I want because it isn’t overly bright even with the tone all the way up - it reminds me more of a Wes sound too not rolling off the tone at all and trying to find a brighter flat sound. I think my pick technique has also changed which might be why I am preferring brighter flats. It has been easily 10 years since I tried GHS so I don’t remember exactly, just that then see bright.

Would GHS be the brightest kind of flat, generally speaking? I am also considering trying to beef up the E string and try the Pat Martino thing but don’t know if I really need to.

Not sure if you mean the GHS Brite Flats I refer to in my post above rio - the "Brite Flats" are actually a half-round type, very similar to D'Addario half rounds, although the GHS 11s set comes with a wound 3rd, unlike the D'Addario half round 11s. Confusing, unhelpful name from GHS there I know. I may try some sort of 11s flat wounds in the future, and reserve the right to change my mind shamelessly, but previously I have found them just a bit too mellow for my taste.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Meggy
    Not sure if you mean the GHS Brite Flats I refer to in my post above rio - the "Brite Flats" are actually a half-round type, very similar to D'Addario half rounds, although the GHS 11s set comes with a wound 3rd, unlike the D'Addario half round 11s. Confusing, unhelpful name from GHS there I know. I may try some sort of 11s flat wounds in the future, and reserve the right to change my mind shamelessly, but previously I have found them just a bit too mellow for my taste.
    I forget the names - it was such a long time ago that I tried them. I still have a .028 gauge from one set in my string box and it is definitely flat. I seem to remember them coming in a blue package. I’ll do some research and see if I can find the name. They were great strings from what I remember and although I went back to TI because that is what I was used to I think they would tickle my fancy now if I were to find them again.

User Info Menu

7 10 12 17 24 29 balanced tension set warm jazz tone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    LOL! The lush chords just ring out.

User Info Menu

wow! I have never even heard of strings this light! My 2nd string is thicker than your 4th string! that's really interesting, id like to hear it

oops my bad, it was a joke?

User Info Menu

tuned down a whole step for less tension

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    I have settled in on using Thomastik-Infeld Bebop (round wounds) and Jazz Swings (flat wounds) in 0.013"-0.053" sets. I am specific regarding the gage being associated with TI because they have lower string tenson than other brands. For example, lets compare TI Jazz Swings to D'Addario chromes both in.013s in terms of the string tension in lbf.

TI Jazz Swings .013-.053

E 26.0
    B 25.1
    G 27.3
    D 27.3
    A 24.8
    E 26.0

D'Addario Chromes .013-.056

E 27.4
    B 26.3
    G 35.1
    D 35.1
    A 32.9
    E 27.0

nonsense, yes both sets have 13 & 17 but the rest DA Chromes are a MUCH heavier strings on hex core.

I do agree DA Chromes have more tension. 13s Thomastic not a proper 13 set and inbetween a 11 & 12 gauge set you cant do a direct comparison not being the same gauges. Both 13 & 17 of Thomastic are marginally thinner than most other brands. because it is Imperial German measurement,

Pyramid German do a true 13-54 gauge flat set on round core.

In a nutshell Ti = 11-12 of same chromes leaving out 13 & 17.

User Info Menu

Yeah, but the TI 13-53 sounds great.

User Info Menu

You are correct as to “why” (which I honestly never discussed) the difference in tension between the two brands. That said, I prefer the TIs with a heavier B and high E strings to add weight to the melody and the more even tension feel across the strings. I have never found my bass lines on my low E (.053”) and A (.039”) strings to be lacking in their authority. I was just being specific to the brand of .013s that I liked and its lower tension. For electric archtop strings, they are my favorite.

nonsense, yes both sets have 13 & 17 but the rest DA Chromes are a MUCH heavier strings on hex core.

I do agree DA Chromes have more tension. 13s Thomastic not a proper 13 set and inbetween a 11 & 12 gauge set you cant do a direct comparison not being the same gauges. Both 13 & 17 of Thomastic are marginally thinner than most other brands. because it is Imperial German measurement,

Pyramid German do a true 13-54 gauge flat set on round core.

In a nutshell Ti = 11-12 of same chromes leaving out 13 & 17.