The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What gauge strings on your archtop?

Voters
812. You may not vote on this poll

37 4.56%

165 20.32%

385 47.41%

205 25.25%
  • other

58 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 301

User Info Menu

I generally use .014s, although I have a set of 15s that I will probably try at some point. I tried going to lighter strings on my X-170 when I got my Artist Award, but didn't like them. I even use 14s on one of my flattops (F-50).
    Brad

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There have been enough 14s or 15s that I'm calling poll fail!

User Info Menu

hard to say. usually 12s of some kind, either 12-56 or everly 12-60s, but 13s on others. depends on the guitar. i tend to tune down at least a whole step, too. except the byrdland- that stays in standard because otherwise the tension is all weird. i don't want to put 14s on it.

User Info Menu

When I had my PM35, I was using Thomastik roundwounds and flats 13s and later 14s. I also tried Thomastik GB 14 flats, but they were horribly dead on that guitar. Actually, I was never happy with the tone (too bright), so I figured out it was the guitar, not the strings problem.

Now I have an Ibanez 2355m, tried TI 14s roundwounds, but finally prefer the deadness of the TI 13s flats on this instrument. I definitely am after heavy gauge strings, just ordered La Bella 15s.

User Info Menu

I'm currently using 14-53 TI flats 0n my Sadowsky and 12-52 Sadowsky flats on my Tele. I prefer using Sadowsky flats but they have been "out of stock" for several months. The TIs sound pretty good but they feel loose compared to the Sadowsky flats.

wiz

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    There have been enough 14s or 15s that I'm calling poll fail!
    It is interesting that the people who have COMMENTED there are alot of 14 & 15, because 12 & 13 are winning the poll in a landslide.

User Info Menu

TI roundwound Bebops 14-55. The best sounding strings I've found.

User Info Menu

finally got BELLA 15/56 on the Monarch...delighted with the fat sound...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    It is interesting that the people who have COMMENTED there are alot of 14 & 15, because 12 & 13 are winning the poll in a landslide.
    I think they are commenting because they can't specifically vote for their candidates. What is this, Pennsylvania?!

User Info Menu

Usually 13-56 D'Addario Pure Nickel roundwounds or Chromes, depending on my mood. I will on occasion replace the 1st with a .014.

If Thomastik made a "traditionally" gauged set with beefier wound strings, I'm sure I'd take to them.

User Info Menu

blown away with BELLA 15`s on the Monarch..anyone tried them on an Epiphone Joe PAss.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxss
    blown away with BELLA 15`s on the Monarch..anyone tried them on an Epiphone Joe PAss.
    I ordered a couple of sets of La Bella 20PH 15-56 flatwounds to try out on my Painter. I have only had them on the guitar for a few days, but so far I'm pleased. A beefy, round and full sound. Balanced volume wise. Even fretting resistance. Good balance between the tone of the plain vs. the wound strings. Being stainless steel and in that heavy gauge, they should last almost for ever. The extra plain E and B is a nice touch (though it wouldn't have been a deal breaker if they weren't there). In my youth, I used Gretsch flatwounds and they also had those spare strings which was more important back then when I was a student with almost no money.
    Last edited by oldane; 06-30-2012 at 05:12 AM.

User Info Menu

WTG Oldane ...agree with all that...i heard somewhere that BB king wound all the string around the peg..when he was poor couldnt afford strings.. if they broke hed have a chance sringing again...

User Info Menu

I use Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing flatwound .013 -.053 on my Ibanez AG95.
    Last edited by balthazar; 06-30-2012 at 04:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Sadowsky 13 Bruno's on my Holst; 11's on my PRS HBI

User Info Menu

GHS Custom Pat Martino 15-52 (fifteen!) flatwounds on Heritage 575. Lovin' them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxss
    No, but just put a set of the LaBella Black tapewound on my Epi JP (which has P90's) and the sound is...quite remarkable.
    Last edited by mangotango; 08-01-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: oh how I wish I could type, dammit!

User Info Menu

I posted my string gauge a while back but forgot to mention that I use both D'Addario Chromes and Thomastic Flatwounds. The flatwounds have 13s on top, but the rest of the set is the same as the D'Addarios, so I place them into the same gauge category as the D'Addarios.

User Info Menu

.13 flatwound chromes

User Info Menu

TI GB14's on a few archtops, and GB 12's on the rest.

User Info Menu

Thomastik-Infield GB 112 nickel flatwound on my Broadway and Emperor .

User Info Menu

Thomastik Infeld George Benson 12s - round wound on my archtops.

User Info Menu

I have .012 D'Addario roundwounds on my Eastman. I'll probably move up to .013s on my next string change. I think I'll switch to a "pure nickel" set, too.

Edit: I ended up moving to TI Bebop .013s.
    Last edited by Bryan T; 09-06-2012 at 09:49 AM.

User Info Menu

I've used TI GB 112s for years. Now I'm experimenting but the GBs are still looking good.

User Info Menu

Thomastik Bebop .13s on my Epiphone Sheraton and Ibanez
    D'addario .12 chromes on my Gibson ES-175

I never did much bending, but since I got new frets on my Sheraton it is really easy to bend on, they are a new sort of frets Ken Parker uses them too in his guitars, I forgot the name though.

Jens