The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What gauge strings on your archtop?

Voters
812. You may not vote on this poll

37 4.56%

165 20.32%

385 47.41%

205 25.25%
  • other

58 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 301

User Info Menu

I bend to, but not like Albert King

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkatten View Post
    I bend to, but not like Albert King
    It's hard to bend like him unless you are left handed, playing a Flying V and simply take a right-handed model and turn it upside down to play (so that your high E and B strings are at the top of the fretboard, allowing you to pull them down - rather than push them up - to bend).

User Info Menu

TI 12 roundwounds for the time-mine is an accoustic L5c type, x braced, with a JS floater
    i like these TI's for finger style-which is about half of the time-it feels like more of an electric with these softer lighter strings -which is why i shell out for TIs-on my mando too just softer and relatively , really really long lasting

going to try the labella tapewounds next-which may be too floppy-and they may be too twangy-havent ever tried them (last tapes i tried were like 1968, fenders on my Jag, and they sounded like that marlboro/ winston twang

but....planning on a set of 13-14s as i want to see if theyll drive the top more-the issue will be how comfortable they are to play

was actually toying with trying some phsophor bronzes on the archtop-but i know ill get nothing from the JS floater i have-but the guitar might really sound great-ive never put phosphors on my archtop

i run 13s-martin phosphor bronze-whatever the more pricey sets are, XL?

on my martin and pretty much always have -long ago -like 40 years ago i did play heavys on the martin-and the guit has a bit of belly bow to show for it..live an learn-one reason why i tend to run lighter -eventually, bridges and stuff simply balk at heavy string pressure-but the volume and power!
    Last edited by stevedenver; 06-23-2012 at 05:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Been using TI 12s, but going to try 13s next time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    0.013"?
    Yeah. And not only that string - some of the others as well. I'm flexible.

User Info Menu

TI Benson .014's here. Same set since January. Still sounds nice. When I play my LP with 11's it feels way too floppy.

User Info Menu

12's on archtops and 11's on solid/semi. I'm permanently undecided between simply accepting a steel-string sound, and swapping the plain strings for something heavier to try to get a more balanced tone.

User Info Menu

13 flats on hollow jazz guitars. Curious note to add; A local music teacher came around to talk business on setting up some of his and his pupils guitars. He tried my hollow jazz guitars and he really dug them, he could not believe they had 13's, he thought they were 10's.

User Info Menu

D'Addario EHR350 Half Rounds Jazz Light 12-52, Full Set $6.75

I've settled on half round wounds because while I like the tonal quality of the fully wounds, I could never completely get rid of the squeaks and while I like the feel of smooth flatwounds they sound too thuddy. So the half wounds seem to give me the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by EddieLastra; 06-24-2012 at 09:02 AM.

User Info Menu

I have the Labella 15-56 on my Peerless Monarch, Labella 12-52 on my custom Gretsch(though I am going to go hybrid next restring....13 17 and keep the rest of the Labella 12s) and GHS Pat Martino 15-52 on my Dearmond M75.

I am a thumb/fingerstyle player and am also a big fan of that Wes tone.

'Mike

User Info Menu

i jave a Monarch too.labella 15/56 where can i get these in UK .......the WES tone WTG...using 13/56 addario half round at present

User Info Menu

D'addario Chromes 12's with the Pat Martino style heavier high b and e, on an Ibanez GB15.

User Info Menu

I wonder if the cats at Foulds music could get you the La Bella 15s in the UK. I am sure that juststrings.com would ship them to you or maybe even Lou over at Guitarsnjazz. Try Foulds first I say.

'Mike

User Info Menu

thanks JAZZMAN i ordered from stringbusters in UK....still experimenting with strings...all sound pretty good...Addarios even Roberts..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mark105 View Post
    D'addario Chromes 12's with the Pat Martino style heavier high b and e, on an Ibanez GB15.
    I just picked up a used GB10 and will have to try that combo out. The regular Chromes the E and B feel really light on the GB10.

User Info Menu

LaBella Tape Wound 14 gage on my Benedetto Bambino.

User Info Menu

I must be a sissy, as I use D'Addario Flatwounds 11-50.

I don't see the point in using thicker ones; they're thumpy enough as they are in my L-5 CES copy.

YMMV.

HTH,

User Info Menu

just got Labella 15/56 ..nice touch ...they give you a spare 1st 2nd..will i sound like Wes Montgomery LOL...

User Info Menu

13's on almost everything, but never flats.
    I don't see the lure of flatwounds-they sound flat/dead to me.
    rounds have a nice sparkle but I know I'm in the minority here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    13's on almost everything, but never flats.
    I don't see the lure of flatwounds-they sound flat/dead to me.
    rounds have a nice sparkle but I know I'm in the minority here.
    The jazz police will be here shortly.

User Info Menu

Gibson Flat Wires SEG-1040 Series (Discontinued)
    Gibson Gear - Flat Wires
    Really good sound as the Gibsons information.
    I have used for years, and have only 6 or 7 sets left.

Old number was "E-440", and called Gibson's famous "Sonomatic".
    Last edited by kawa; 06-27-2012 at 08:45 PM.

User Info Menu

- I prefer Thomastik-Infeld Swing Flatwounds .012-.053.
    Would like to go heavier,but I"m reluctant cause of the
    not-aged enough wood of the newer Gibsons.

I'm gonna have to try rounds. They sound great on my Gretsch (for more of a rockabilly/jump blues thing), but the Broadway is sounding kind of... dull... for lack of a better description. Don't know if it's the guitar or the strings or both, but I just got it, so some string experimentation is in order.

User Info Menu

D'Addario Chromes .013-.056 on an ES-165

User Info Menu

just put a set La Bella Flatwound 20 PH 15-56 on the Monarch....WOW...the Wes sound ..sadly just broke the D string ..turning wrong string with winder.....off to get another Set...