The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 55

User Info Menu

How about the sound? I know the answer more or less..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

By the way, Peter has something like a small pillow (I guess) under the tailpiece.

Is it for reducing the vibe of the guitar?

User Info Menu

I am also interested in this!

User Info Menu

I was there for that gig/weekend and took a lesson with Peter, but never noticed the pillow thing.... some guys got to play his guitar while he was here, but I was too polite to ask and he never offered. Sounded good acoustically, but I think that really is more just his touch. Such a great player and very nice person.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    I was there for that gig/weekend and took a lesson with Peter, but never noticed the pillow thing.... some guys got to play his guitar while he was here, but I was too polite to ask and he never offered. Sounded good acoustically, but I think that really is more just his touch. Such a great player and very nice person.

so... what did you get to learn from Peter?!

User Info Menu

Funny, I've never listened to the recording I made, but we mostly talked about motif development and phrasing.... He played, gave ideas and i listened. Talked about players. I think it's hard to figure out what to offer someone when you only have an hour. We didn't really play together, so he didn't have a good idea of my ability or lack thereof.... I think he probably gave me an answer to what people comment on most often, I.e. his phrasing. Good stuff!

He was very gracious the whole weekend. His son Bruno was still pretty young and he was missing his family

User Info Menu

I recently found a Zeidler for sale in Boston, Ma. (I've been looking for 7 years almost every night) I left Michigan(where I'm from and drove to Boston to buy it that next morning).

Steve Berger fabricated the pick-guard and the pickup for me. He lives in NYC and Pete B. suggested that I take the guitar to him. He did a WONDERFUL job! Steve is really knowledgeable and such a sweet and humble person. He was so inspirational. I can't say enough good things about him.

I want to post pictures of it, but I'm bran new here and am not sure how to do it quite yet. I will figure it out and post them asap.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR THE WONDERFUL INFO!

User Info Menu

I bought this one for $7,700:

Peter Bernstein -- Zeidler Archtop?-zeidler-png

User Info Menu

Sold for 7700? Wow good deal that is like half of the value ....

User Info Menu

Congratulations Ralph! Absolutely beautiful guitar made by a master, and looks like you got it for a really good price too. Your seven years of searching has paid off

User Info Menu

WOW!!! Great guitar and cheap Congratulations! Could you please post some videos of you playing that beauty?

User Info Menu

Here is a clip of me just playing a melody. Kind of embarrassing but...

The price of the guitar when all was said and done was for about 11,000$! There were all kind of expensive fees... I'll post some updated pictures and videos. This forum is so great, and I'm sorry I didn't find it sooner!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ralphT
    Here is a clip of me just playing a melody. Kind of embarrassing but...
    Not at all! Great playing and great tone! Enjoy your beautiful Zeidler.

User Info Menu

Great clips!

The infamous hidden Buyer's Premium of 25% (?) OUCH! Got to watch out for those. But the Zeidler guitar is worth it. There is an 18" Zeidler Jazz Deluxe at Gothic City, asking $15 995.00. I'm almost tempted but don't have the kind of dosh.

Perhaps you can convince me to sell an organ or two.......

Could you PM me Steve Berger's contact info? I am interested in getting a pickup. Do you have a full-sized floating humbucker like Peter Bernstein's? Pray tell.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 12-12-2012 at 12:02 PM.

User Info Menu

I recently found a Zeidler for sale in Boston, Ma. (I've been looking for 7 years almost every night) I left Michigan(where I'm from and drove to Boston to buy it that next morning).
    Man!! Am I ever glad you came along. I thought for sure that I was the only one in the world crazy enough to drive half way across their country just to buy a guitar. A Zeidler? In the hands of UPS or Fed Ex???? I don't think so!!!!

User Info Menu

11k is still a great price... congrats, enjoy it!

What kind of pickup did you put in there?

User Info Menu

"The price of the guitar when all was said and done was for about 11,000$! There were all kind of expensive fees

I'll say, you mean you paid 7.8K and they tacked on 50% by the time you were done?"

still a good deal for what it is. enjoy the guitar...
    Last edited by wintermoon; 12-12-2012 at 01:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "The price of the guitar when all was said and done was for about 11,000$! There were all kind of expensive fees

I'll say, you mean you paid 7.8K and they tacked on 50% by the time you were done?"

still a good deal for what it is. enjoy the guitar...
    I found out that the Buyer's Premium is 20% of transaction, up to $500 000 plus 6.25% Mass. state tax.

User Info Menu

I was so excited to get the guitar that I forgot how all the fees worked, but it was strange. For instance, it was an auction piece, and they charged a fee to have it "taken out of auction". Then there was a weird processing fee. The people were very nice, but they did NOT want to lose a dime. I was just so excited about finding the guitar at an "affordable price" that it was all backround noise. It also cost me 1000$ to put the pickup and the pickguard in so I could actually use the guitar amplified. When it was all said and done it was a whopping price-tag. I'm affording it by selling off a Gibson L5 and some old BF Fender amps that I have.

User Info Menu

Hope this works!
    May I ask who did the pick up - pick guard work?

User Info Menu

"Steve Berger fabricated the pick-guard and the pickup for me. He lives in NYC and Pete B. suggested that I take the guitar to him. He did a WONDERFUL job! Steve is really knowledgeable and such a sweet and humble person. He was so inspirational. I can't say enough good things about him"

Steve's a friend of mine. he owns the 1st oval hole Zeidler. it has koa back sides and neck. great sounding guitar.

User Info Menu

@ralphT, the strings look odd? How are the attached at the tailpiece?

Beautiful guitar!

User Info Menu

Hey edh, I'm not ralphT but I'll answer your question. The tailpiece probably has six posts or hooks that capture the ball-end of the string. Much like a mandolin tailpiece.

User Info Menu

I had a phone convo w/ John Zeidler back in the 90's when I was picking a luthier to build me an archtop. I remember it being a nice conversation and we talked for a while about archtops. Unfortunately I don't remember much of the particulars, but I do remember that he was sooo adamant about players using brass acoustic strings on his acoustic archtops! I'm pretty sure I have some of his brouchures at home somewhere that he sent me after our chat. Seemed like a really nice guy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasonc
    Hey edh, I'm not ralphT but I'll answer your question. The tailpiece probably has six posts or hooks that capture the ball-end of the string. Much like a mandolin tailpiece.
    Thanks jasonc. In the picture the strings ends appeared to be floating. Kinda confused me(not hard to do btw. ). I didn't know how they were attached.

edit: Taking a second look at the tailpiece, I see that it is thicker than I initially thought. I can see now that there is a some wood beneath the dark wood. What confused me was that the inner section of the tailpiece is the same color as the guitar. It looked to as if the string ends were floating. hah!
    Last edited by edh; 12-13-2012 at 10:45 PM.